Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-24-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The PC baseball team finished their season with a 24-32 overall record and 10-14 in Big South Action… The Blue Hose just missed making the Big South Tournament this year… The Blue Hose will lose 5 seniors due to graduation but return plenty of talent… One of those who will be returning is Laurens Academy graduate Brandon Martin who will be a junior next season… He had the 5th highest batting average on the team batting .259 (team average was .253) in 112 at bats… He had 29 hits (5 of which were for extra bases) driving in 10 runs and scoring 12…. Remember you can keep up with everything related to PC athletics at GoBlueHose.com.
CHS: Last night CHS honored athletes who participated in spring sports… Each coach had their team members come on stage where they received certificates, letters or other awards… The highlight of the ceremony was the naming of the male and female athlete of the year based on a prescribed point system… The female athlete of the year is Gabby Bates who lettered In varsity volleyball, basketball and track… The male athlete of the year is Kenyon Brown… Kenyon lettered in football, basketball and track… Congratulations to not only Gabby and Kenyon but also to all the other award winners.
LDHS: Recently it was announced that Jim Iacuone will be the boys’ golf coach at LDHS next year… He has been the JV boys’ golf coach as well as the girls’ varsity head coach… He is stepping into this position after Coach Bill Screws announced he was stepped down in anticipation of his retirement after next season.
College Baseball Notes:
- Vanderbilt 4 – South Carolina 3… For the second consecutive day, 12th ranked South Carolina rallied from three runs down, however top ranked Vanderbilt loaded the bases in the 10th inning and with one out a RBI base hit from Conrad Gregor lifted the Commodores to a 4-3 win over the Gamecocks in an elimination game… The Gamecocks are now 39-18 on the season and will find out Sunday night if that is good enough to host a regional tournament and if not will find out if / where they will play in the regionals on Monday
- Alabama 7 – Mississippi 5… Mississippi eliminated.
- Arkansas 4 – LSU 1… Arkansas advances to semifinals on Saturday
- Mississippi State 6 – Texas A&M 4… Mississippi State advances to the semifinals on Saturday.
- Virginia 8 Georgia Tech 2… Virginia 1-1 in Pool B, Georgia Tech 1-1 in Pool B
- North Carolina 10 – Miami 0… North Carolina 1-0 in Pool A, Miami 0-1 in Pool A
- Virginia Tech 3 – Florida State 2… Virginia Tech 2-0 in Pool B, Florida State 0-2 in Pool B
- Clemson… The Tigers (0-1 in pool A) will face the Tar Heels (1-0 in Pool a) tonight at 7:00
- Georgia Southern 2 – College of Charleston 0
- Elon 18 – College of Charleston 8
- Appalachian State 2 – Samford 1
- Citadel 12 – Western Carolina 11
- Furman 2 – Georgia Southern 1
Braves: The Braves were off last night and will start a 3 game series in New York with the Mets tonight
Greenville Drive: The Charleston RiverDogs took a 12-7 win over the Drive in Charleston last night.
- NAAACP Annual Golf Tournament… The Laurens County Branch of the NAACP will be having their 6th Annual NAACP Tournament on Saturday June 1, 2013. The event will be held at Lakeside Country Club and will be a 3-man captain’s choice tournament with tee time scheduled for 9:00 am. The entry fee is $150.00 per team and includes green fees, cart and food. There will be door prizes also… For more information, contact numbers and a registration form see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com
- Softball camps at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Head Softball Coach Nickie Templeton and the Clinton YMCA are proud to announce a series of softball camps for youth of different ages. The camps will occur between June 1st and June 6th… Information about exact dates, ages, times and costs are can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Wednesday May 29th so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Laurens YMCA Tennis and Golf Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a tennis camp for ages 6-14 June 10-12.. They will be divided according to experience… Also June 11-13 there will be a golf camp at lakeside Country Club… The camp is for youth ages 7-15… The deadline to register for both these camps is June 9… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.