Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-31-213
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Have you ever thought about joining the PC athletic booster club which is known as the Scotsman Club? If you would like more information about it, see my sports report for today where I have a link to all the information you need to know about it…. It’s a great way to support PC Athletics…. Scotsman Club Information
College Baseball Notes: Well the biggest news in college baseball in these parts I guess in the NCAA Regional in Columbia and the possible rematch between Clemson and South Carolina… But first the Tigers and Gamecocks must turn their attention to the other two teams in the regional.
- Liberty vs. Clemson: The first game in the regional today at 1:00 pm has the #3 seed Liberty Flames taking on the #2 seed Clemson Tigers… Liberty ( a member of the Big South) comes into the game 34-27 on the season and is coached by Jim Toman who is in his 6th year as Liberty’s head coach after serving as an assistant to Ray Tanner for 18 years at both NC State and South Carolina… This is only Liberty’s 4th appearance in a regional with the last one being in 2000 which was also on Columbia… Liberty played a 3 game series at the start of the season against the Gamecocks in Columbia and won 1 of the games… Click on the following link to find out more information about Liberty baseball: Liberty Baseball Information Clemson comes into the regional with a 39-20 record…. Clemson of course is coached by Jack Leggett who is in his 20th season at the Tigers helm…. Clemson has had numerous appearances in post-season play and will be a tough opponent….Click on the following which links you to about anything you would want to know about Clemson baseball: Clemson Baseball Information
- Saint Louis vs. South Carolina: The second game of the day at 7:00 pm, the #4 seed Saint Louis Billikens will take on the host and #1 seed Gamecocks of South Carolina… Saint Louis is the winner of the Atlantic 10 Conference and comes into the regionals with a record of 41-19… They are coached by Darin Hendrickson who is in his 5th year as their head coach…. This will be the first time the Billikens and the Gamecocks have ever met on the baseball diamond…. Click on the following for information about the Billiken baseball team: Billiken Baseball Information… By the way, if you want to know what a Billiken is, click on the following link: Answer To What Is A Billiken …. The Gamecocks of South Carolina come into the regional as the #1 seed and have a 39-18 record… Chad Holbrook is in his 1st season as head coach after serving as associate head coach for now Athletic Director Ray Tanner for four years… I think everyone around here knows of the Gamecocks recent success in postseason play and the CWS so I will not delve into that… Click on the following to link to the Gamecock baseball team website where you will find a ton of information on the program: Carolina Baseball
- Tournament Central: Click on the following to link to the Columbia Regional Central which has schedule and information about all 4 teams: Regional Central…. Today’s games will be on ESPN3 and the remainder on ESPNU… south Carolina games in the regional can also be heard on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC.
Braves: Atlanta 11 – Toronto 3… The Braves earned a split of the 4 game series with the Blue Jays as they took an 11-3 win in Atlanta last night… The game was tied 3-3 going into the bottom of the 6th inning when the Braves struck for 3 runs then added 3 more in the 7th and a pair in the 8th to win going away… Freddie Freeman and Reed Johnson homered for the Braves… The 11 runs and 16 hits are both season highs for the Braves…. Mike Minor picked up the win…. The Braves will host the Washington Nationals in a weekend series starting tonight… The Braves lead the Nationals by 5.5 games in the NL East.
Greenville Drive: Ashville 9 – Greenville 8… The Drive started a 4 game home series with the Ashville Tourist last night with 9-8 loss to the Tourist… The Drive had a 7-3 lead at one point and let it slip away.
NASCAR: The Nationwide series races tomorrow at Dover and the Sprint Cup Series on Sunday at Dover also.
This & That:
- Dixie Youth Baseball Broadcast: Real Radio 860 WLBG will be brining you two Dixie Youth Baseball games in the next few days… On Tuesday June 4th will be bringing you the game between the Exchange Club and B & W Fence…. Then on Thursday the 6th we will feature the last game of the regular season of Dixie Boys between the Exchange Club and Stroble Mini Storage… Both games are scheduled for a 6 pm first pitch and we will go live a few minutes before that… Remember we also stream live over the internet at www.wlbg.com
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation is hosting a free tennis clinic Saturday, June 1, beginning at 1pm. The clinic will be held at the Laurens City Park Tennis Complex and will be instructed by Chuck Waldron. The camp will be open to novice and experienced players and will lead into the upcoming Tennis Program offered by the City of Laurens. The Clinic is open to ages 5-18 and if you do not have a racquet there will be some available for use. Participants will also need to fill out a participation form prior to the event and must also wear non marking tennis shoes or sneakers. For more information please email LaurensPRD@yahoo.com.
- NAACP Annual Golf Tournament… The Laurens County Branch of the NAACP will be having their 6th Annual NAACP Tournament on Saturday June 1, 2013. The event will be held at Lakeside Country Club and will be a 3-man captain’s choice tournament with tee time scheduled for 9:00 am. The entry fee is $150.00 per team and includes green fees, cart and food. There will be door prizes also… For more information, contact numbers and a registration form see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com
- Girls Basketball Camp and Volleyball Camp at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Coach Joe Webb will be conducting a girls basketball camp at the Clinton YMCA for girls 6-12 June 10th – 13th… On those same dates Coach Cindy Kink will be conducting a girl’s volleyball camp for girls of all ages… Information about times and costs are can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday June 7th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Laurens YMCA Tennis and Golf Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a tennis camp for ages 6-14 June 10-12.. They will be divided according to experience… Also June 11-13 there will be a golf camp at lakeside Country Club… The camp is for youth ages 7-15… The deadline to register for both these camps is June 9… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.