Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-27-13
CHS: I mentioned to you last Friday morning the CHS had their Spring Sports Ceremony and they Gabby Bates and Kenyon Brown had been Athletes of the Year at CHS.. Well I now have the full list of all the various award winners for all the spring sports… Click on the following for a complete list: CHS Spring Awards Winners
College Baseball Notes:
- Clemson: The Tigers finished 0-3 in the ACC Tournament that finished up over the weekend.. They lost a heartbreaker to the N.C. Tar Heels on Friday night as the Heels scored 5 to tie the game in the top of the 9th inning and then scored 5 in the 14th inning to win the game 12-7… In their last game on Saturday the Miami Hurricanes took a 7-0 win over the Tigers… The Tigers struggled at the plate getting only 4 hits in the game.
- North Carolina 4 – Virginia Tech 1: The Tar Heels of N.C. claimed their 6th ACC Baseball Championship as they defeated the Hokies of Virginia Tech 4-1… The Tar Heels will host one of the 16 NCAA Regionals starting later this week… Virginia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina State and Florida State will also host regionals.
- LSU 5 – Vanderbilt 4: # 2 nationally ranked LSU broke a 4-4 tie with a run in the top of the 11th inning and then held on to take a 5-4 win over #1 nationally ranked Vanderbilt to win the SEC Baseball Championship… Do you recon Jim Firmin is smiling this morning?..The Tigers of LSU will host an NCAA regional tournament later this week…. Other SEC teams that will be hosting are Vanderbilt, Mississippi State and the Gamecocks of South Carolina.
Other Local Conference Tournament Winners:
- Big South: Liberty picked up the Big South’s automatic bid to the NCAA Baseball Championship field of 64 by defeating Campbell 2-1.
- Southern Conference: The team that won the automatic bid to the NCAA team of 64 from the Southern Conference is Elon as they took a 6-5 win over the Citadel yesterday at Flour Field… Sorry Bill Baldwin.
Regional Tournament Sites and Host:
- The NCAA website has a complete list of regional host and other information concerning the regionals … Click on the following to go to their site for this information: NCAA Baseball Regional Information
Braves: The Braves had a 3 game series in New York this weekend against the Mets:
- Friday / Saturday: Braves 7 – Mets 5 (10 innings)… Friday’s game with the Mets took a long time to finish because with the game tied at 5 at the end of 8 innings the rains came and forced the suspension of the game until Saturday afternoon… The Braves then scored 2 in the top of the 10th inning on Saturday to win the game… Freddie Freeman and Dan Uggla had homers in the game.
- Saturday: Braves 6 – Mets 0… The Braves broke open a scoreless game scoring 5 runs in the 5th inning and went on to their 8th game in a row as they defeated the Mets 6-0… Mike Minor picked up the and also had a 2-run homer to help his cause.
- Sunday: Mets 4 – Atlanta 2… The Mets scored 3 runs in the 8th inning as they came from behind to take a 4-3 win over the Braves snapping their winning streak at 8 games… Dan Uggla did get his 10th homerun of the season a 2-run shot in the 7th inning… The Braves continue their road trip as they open a 2 game series with the Blue Jays in Toronto tonight just after 7:00 pm.
Greenville Drive: The Drive finished up their road trip and their series with the Charleston RiverDogs this weekend… On Friday night the picked up a rare win as they defeated Charleston 12-2. Charleston then took Saturday & Sunday’s games by scores of 6-0 and 5-4… The Drive come home to Flour Field this afternoon as they start a 3 game series with the Augusta Sand Gnats at 2:05.
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation is hosting a free tennis clinic Saturday, June 1, beginning at 1pm. The clinic will be held at the Laurens City Park Tennis Complex and will be instructed by Chuck Waldron. The camp will be open to novice and experienced players and will lead into the upcoming Tennis Program offered by the City of Laurens. The Clinic is open to ages 5-18 and if you do not have a racquet there will be some available for use. Participants will also need to fill out a participation form prior to the event and must also wear non marking tennis shoes or sneakers. For more information please email LaurensPRD@yahoo.com.
- NAACP Annual Golf Tournament… The Laurens County Branch of the NAACP will be having their 6th Annual NAACP Tournament on Saturday June 1, 2013. The event will be held at Lakeside Country Club and will be a 3-man captain’s choice tournament with tee time scheduled for 9:00 am. The entry fee is $150.00 per team and includes green fees, cart and food. There will be door prizes also… For more information, contact numbers and a registration form see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com
- Softball camps at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Head Softball Coach Nickie Templeton and the Clinton YMCA are proud to announce a series of softball camps for youth of different ages. The camps will occur between June 1st and June 6th… Information about exact dates, ages, times and costs are can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Wednesday May 29th so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Laurens YMCA Tennis and Golf Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a tennis camp for ages 6-14 June 10-12.. They will be divided according to experience… Also June 11-13 there will be a golf camp at lakeside Country Club… The camp is for youth ages 7-15… The deadline to register for both these camps is June 9… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.