Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 6-3-13
College Baseball Notes: The Columbia Regional was suppose to feature a rematch of Clemson and South Carolina but that never came to pass due mainly to the Liberty Flames.
- Liberty 8 – Clemson 3… In the opening game of the regional on Friday afternoon, Liberty took an 8-3 win over the Tigers.. The Flames’ Josh Richardson had the complete game win and the Flames’ catcher Greenwood native Trey Wimmer had 6 RBIs…. Steven Duggar went 3-4 with 2 RBIs for the Tigers.
- South Carolina 7 – Saint Louis 3.. In the 2nd game on Friday, the Gamecocks took a 7-3 win over the Billikens of Saint Louis… The Billikens tied the game 3-3 with 2 runs in the top of the 8th but the Gamecocks put 4 on the board in their half of the 8th to take the win… Five Gamecocks registered two hits in the matchup with junior left fielder Graham Saiko adding his second homer of the year, a double, two RBI and two runs scored. Sophomore catcher Grayson Greiner also scored two runs to pair with his 2-for-4 performance at the plate. Senior designated hitter LB Dantzler, sophomore first baseman Kyle Martin and sophomore right fielder Connor Bright recorded an RBI each as well, with the sophomores also getting two hits along with freshman second baseman Max Schrock…. Nolan Belcher pitched well 6⅓ innings but reliever Tyler Webb picked up the win.
- Clemson 10 – Saint Louis 2… The Tigers rebounded in an elimination game on Saturday as the soundly defeated Saint Louis 10-2… Steve Wilkerson had two homers and 5 RBIs to pace the Tigers and Clemson ace pitcher Daniel Gossett pitched 6 strong innings.
- South Carolina 19 – Liberty 3… In the winners’ bracket game on Saturday, the Gamecocks pounded the Liberty 19-3… The score pretty much speaks for itself as the Gamecocks got 19 hits and Jordan Montgomery pitched 7 scoreless innings… Even Tanner English picked up his 1st homerun of the season… Liberty got their 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th.
- Liberty 3 – Clemson 1… On Sunday afternoon Clemson faced Liberty again this time in an elimination game and for the 2nd time in 3 days Liberty defeated Clemson this time by a score of 3-1… Clemson scored first in the top of the 4th inning but Liberty responded with a pair of runs in their half of the 4th than added another run in the 5th in route to the win… Clemson had opportunities to score but just could not get the clutch hit when needed… Clemson finishes their season with a 40-22 record.
- South Carolina 4 – Liberty 2 – Suspended in the 5th inning… In the 2nd game last night the Gamecocks and Liberty played into the bottom of the 5th inning before Mother Nature stepped in to force a delay in the game with the gamecocks leading 4-2… About 11:00 pm as they were about to start back, the weather turned bad again and the game was suspended until 1:05 pm today… All the Gamecocks need to do is hold on for the win and they will advance to the super regional… Should Liberty win, they will square off again tonight at 7:0 with the winner advancing to this weekend’s super regional.
Braves: The NL East leading Braves hosted the 2nd place Washington Nationals in a 3 game series over the weekend as they tried to increase their lead in the division.
- Friday: Nationals 3 – Braves 2: On Friday night the Braves offense sputtered collecting only 4 hits to the nationals 9 as the nationals took a 3-2 win over the Braves.. Freddie Freeman and Ramiro Pena had 2 hits each for the Braves.
- Saturday: Braves 2 – Nationals 1 (10): ON Saturday night the Braves got a great pitching performance from Tim Hudson and the bullpen and a clutch walk-off single by B.J. Upton in the10th inning to take a 2-1 win over Washington… Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez was tossed in the 4th inning for voicing his displeasure with ball-strike calls by home-plate umpire Larry Vanover… He has a long way to go before he will catch up with his predecessors Bobby Cox’s number of ejections.
- Sunday: Braves 6 – Nationals 3: On Sunday afternoon, the Braves took the 3 game series 2-1 with a 6-3 win over the Nationals at the Ted… B.J. Upton had a solo homer, his brother Justin had 3 hits on the day and a bases loaded double by Freddie Freeman were all key to the win that gives the Braves a 6 ½ game lead over the Nationals… The Braves have a 3-game home series with the Pittsburg Pirates starting tonight that will end their current home stand.
Greenville Drive: The Greenville drive hosted the Ashville Tourist back on Thursday so let’s catch up with them.
- Thursday: Ashville 9 – Greenville 8… The Tourist started the series with a 9-8 win over the Drive… The Drive had a 7-3 lead at one point and let it slip away.
- Friday: Ashville 3 – Greenville 2 (12)… The Drive played the Tourist tough on Friday night and even out hit the Tourist 11-9 but the Tourist had a solo homerun in the top of the 12th inning to take a 3-2 win over the Drive…. The Drive had the tying run on 3rd in their half of the12th but just could not get it in.
- Saturday: Drive 9 – Tourist 3… The Drive got a rare win on Saturday as they defeated the Tourist 9-3… The Drive played decent small ball and had no errors in the win.
- Sunday: Canceled due to rain…. The Drive now have a short 3 game road trip to the coast of South Carolina as they take on the Charleston RiverDogs.
This & That:
- Dixie Youth Baseball Broadcast: Real Radio 860 WLBG will be brining you two Dixie Youth Baseball games in the next few days… On Tuesday June 4th will be bringing you the game between the Exchange Club and B & W Fence…. Then on Thursday the 6th we will feature the last game of the regular season of Dixie Boys between the Exchange Club and Stroble Mini Storage… Both games are scheduled for a 6 pm first pitch and we will go live a few minutes before that… Remember we also stream live over the internet at www.wlbg.com
- Girls Basketball Camp and Volleyball Camp at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Coach Joe Webb will be conducting a girl’s basketball camp at the Clinton YMCA for girls 6-12 June 10th – 13th… On those same dates Coach Cindy Kink will be conducting a girl’s volleyball camp for girls of all ages… Information about times and costs are can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday June 7th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Laurens YMCA Tennis and Golf Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a tennis camp for ages 6-14 June 10-12.. They will be divided according to experience… Also June 11-13 there will be a golf camp at lakeside Country Club… The camp is for youth ages 7-15… The deadline to register for both these camps is June 9… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
And finally, its only 88 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.