Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-23-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Thursday and it’s brought to you by The Laurens County Speedway – The Darlington of Dirt Tracks- Well can you believe it? For the 4th Saturday in a row Mother Nature caused the cancellation of events at the Speedway. The extended forecast for Saturday night looks promising and the gates are still scheduled to open at 6 pm with racing starting at 8 pm so make plans to go out!
College Baseball Notes:
ACC Baseball Tournament:
- # 7 seed Georgia Tech 4 – # 2 seed Florida State 3
- # 6 seed Virginia Tech 10 – # 3 Virginia 1
- # 4 seed NC State 6 – #5 seed Clemson 3.. NC State broke open a 2-2 tie with a 4 run seventh inning to take a 6-3 win… Garrett Boulware went 3-4 for the Tigers and had a solo homer in the 9th inning… The Tigers will be off tonight and will be back in action tomorrow night at 7:00pm against #1 seed North Carolina.
SEC Baseball Tournament:
- #3 Arkansas 2 – #6 Ole Miss 1
- #2 LSU 3 – #7 Alabama 0
- # 9 Texas A&M 5 – #1 Vanderbilt 0: The Aggies only had 9 hits to produce their 5 runs but 3 of them were homers… Meanwhile the Ray Parker of A&M shut down the Commodores only allowing 3 hits.
- #5 Mississippi State 5 – #4 South Carolina 3: The Bulldogs of Mississippi State led 3-0 going into the bottom of the 4th when the Gamecocks scored 3 to tie the game… Joey Pankake and LB Dantzler charted back-to-back singles followed by a Grayson Greiner walk. A walk by Max Schrock with the bases loaded plated Pankake before a single by Brison Celek scored Dantzler and Greiner. It stayed that way until the top of the 9th when the Bulldogs scored 2 runs and the Gamecocks could not match them in their half of the 9th to give Mississippi Stat a 5-3 win over Carolina…. South Carolina will now face #1 Vanderbilt in an elimination game today in the 2nd game of the day. My guess is that it will be about 1:00pm.. The game can be heard on Sports radio 1410 WPCC
- Citadel 6 – App. State 5
- Western Carolina 13 – Samford 7
- Furman 10 – Elon 1
Braves 8 – Twins 3… The Braves completed a 3 game sweep of the twins last night in Atlanta as they took an 8-3 win over the Twins… The Braves were leading 3-0 going into the 4th inning when they broke the game open scoring 5 runs in the inning with the big blow being a grand slam home run by rookie catcher Evan Gattis… That was his 1st grand slam of his career and 10th homerun of the season… Ramiro Pena and BJ Upton each had solo shots in the game… Paul Maholm picked up the win for the Braves going 7⅓ innings giving up 1 unearned run on 7 hits while striking out 4 and walking 1… The Braves are off tonight and will start a road trip tomorrow with the first stop in New York for a 3 game series with the Mets.
Greenville Drive: When I last checked late last night, the Greenville Drive’s game in Hickory was suspended in the 3rd inning with the score tied 3-3
- Last week Jimmie Johnson took the win in the Sprint All-Star race in Charlotte with Joey Logano coming in 2nd and Kyle Busch 3rd… The Sprint Cup Series is back at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Sunday night for the Coca Cola 600… The Nationwide boys will go tomorrow at 2:45.
- The Sprint Cup Driver standings still show Jimmy Johnson leading there with 423 points… The next 4 are Carl Edwards (379), Matt Kenseth (364), Dale Earnhart Jr. (359) and Clint Bower (349).
- NAAACP Annual Golf Tournament… The Laurens County Branch of the NAACP will be having their 6th Annual NAACP Tournament on Saturday June 1, 2013. The event will be held at Lakeside Country Club and will be a 3-man captain’s choice tournament with tee time scheduled for 9:00 am. The entry fee is $150.00 per team and includes green fees, cart and food. There will be door prizes also… For more information, contact numbers and a registration form see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com
- Softball camps at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Head Softball Coach Nickie Templeton and the Clinton YMCA are proud to announce a series of softball camps for youth of different ages. The camps will occur between June 1st and June 6th… Information about exact dates, ages, times and costs are can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Wednesday May 29th so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Laurens YMCA Tennis and Golf Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a tennis camp for ages 6-14 June 10-12.. They will be divided according to experience… Also June 11-13 there will be a golf camp at lakeside Country Club… The camp is for youth ages 7-15… The deadline to register for both these camps is June 9… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.