Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-30-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Thursday and it’s brought to you by the Laurens County Speedway where they do dirt right… Well guess what… For the first time in 5 weeks Mother Nature cooperated and they actually had racing in 4 of the divisions… I heard that after the 4 week layoff a lot of the drivers seemed a little “rusty” as there was a lot of metal on metal contact… Don’t have a lot of details other that order of finish in each of the main events so let me give you that.
- Limited Late Model…. Dale Timms crossed the finish line first with Tony Quarles and David Todd not too far behind him.
- Hobby…. Mart Patterson took the checkered flag with Dan Lawson and Chris Patterson finishing 2nd and 3rd respectively.
- Super Stock 4… Tim Collins, Joe Gibson and Murray Gibson were the first 3 across the finish line in that order.
- Front Wheel Drive… Dustin Sloan took the win in the main event with Roger Wright finishing 2nd and Evan Calliham finishing 3rd.
- Crates… Did not race… Now a quick reminder that the races start at 8 pm each Saturday night and the gates open at 6.
- Women’s College Softball World Series… There are some of us who also like to keep up with college softball and the ladies are further along in the season than baseball… They have finished the regionals and super regionals and the final 8 will start the championship series today in Oklahoma City… The final 8 teams are: Nebraska, Washington, Tennessee, Florida, Arizona State, Texas, Michigan and Oklahoma.
- Allen Staton: North Greenville University sophomore and former Laurens Raider Allen Staton picked up more post-season awards recently… He earned a spot on the NCBWA All-American First Team and the ABCA All-American Third Team… Click on the following link for more information: Allen Staton Recognized As All-American
Braves: Toronto 3 – Atlanta 1… The Braves came home off their recent road trip and I wonder if they and Toronto came in on the same plane as the 2 teams played on Tuesday night in Toronto played each other again last night at the Ted… Last night the Blue jays took a 3-0 win over the Braves… They got a single run in the 1st and a pair of runs in the 2nd and then held the Braves to just 4 hits in game… The Braves threatened a couple of times but just could not get the key hit…. The same 2 teams finish their current series in Atlanta tonight.
Greenville Drive: Greenville 5 – Savannah 1…. The Greenville Drive did something that has not occurred too much lately last night…they won… The Drive defeated the Savannah Sand Gnats 5-1 last night at Flour Field… The Drive continue their home stand tonight as the Ashville Tourist come to town for a 7:05 contest.
This & That:
- Dixie Youth Baseball Broadcast: Real Radio 860 WLBG will be brining you two Dixie Youth Baseball games in the next few days… On Tuesday June 4th will be bringing you the game between the Exchange Club and B & W Fence…. Then on Thursday the 6th we will feature the last game of the regular season of Dixie Boys between the Exchange Club and Stroble Mini Storage… Both games are scheduled for a 6 pm first pitch and we will go live a few minutes before that… Remember we also stream live over the internet at www.wlbg.com
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation is hosting a free tennis clinic Saturday, June 1, beginning at 1pm. The clinic will be held at the Laurens City Park Tennis Complex and will be instructed by Chuck Waldron. The camp will be open to novice and experienced players and will lead into the upcoming Tennis Program offered by the City of Laurens. The Clinic is open to ages 5-18 and if you do not have a racquet there will be some available for use. Participants will also need to fill out a participation form prior to the event and must also wear non marking tennis shoes or sneakers. For more information please email LaurensPRD@yahoo.com.
- NAACP Annual Golf Tournament… The Laurens County Branch of the NAACP will be having their 6th Annual NAACP Tournament on Saturday June 1, 2013. The event will be held at Lakeside Country Club and will be a 3-man captain’s choice tournament with tee time scheduled for 9:00 am. The entry fee is $150.00 per team and includes green fees, cart and food. There will be door prizes also… For more information, contact numbers and a registration form see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com
- Girls Basketball Camp and Volleyball Camp at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Coach Joe Webb will be conducting a girls basketball camp at the Clinton YMCA for girls 6-12 June 10th – 13th… On those same dates Coach Cindy Kink will be conducting a girls volleyball camp for girls of all ages… Information about times and costs are can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday June 7th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Laurens YMCA Tennis and Golf Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a tennis camp for ages 6-14 June 10-12.. They will be divided according to experience… Also June 11-13 there will be a golf camp at lakeside Country Club… The camp is for youth ages 7-15… The deadline to register for both these camps is June 9… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.