Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-28-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Brad Zebedis of the PC baseball team earned several post-season honors over the last few days… He made the Big South’s Second Team All-Conference team but more importantly he was recognized for his work in the classroom…. He made the All-Academic Team and was named C0-Scholar-Athlete of the Year along with Justin Creel of Coastal Carolina… He started every game for the Blue Hose and batted .292 which was the 2nd highest batting average on the team.
College Baseball Notes: The NCAA announced the rest of the 64 team field that will be competing for the 2013 NCAA Baseball Championship Series…
- Columbia Regional: The Gamecocks found out yesterday who the other 3 teams in the Columbia regional will be… The #4 seed will be Saint Louis and they will play #1 seed South Carolina this Friday at 7 pm… And for the 2nd year in a row the NCAA saw fit to be sure that South Carolina and Clemson will not be able to meet in Omaha as they made Clemson the # 2 seed in the Columbia Regional… They will take on #3 seed Liberty at 1 pm on Friday afternoon…. I will have more on the Saint Louis and Liberty as the week goes on… Click on the following for a complete bracket of the Columbia Regional:2013 Columbia Regional Bracket By the way, those games will be on ESPN3… Boy I am glad I still have PRTC digital TV where I can get ESPN for free!!!
- Rest of the Regionals: The top 8 nationally seeded teams which will host super regionals unless they do not win their regional are (from 1 to 8): North Carolina, Vanderbilt, Oregon State, LSU, Cal State Fullerton, Virginia, Florida State and Oregon State… The winner of the Columbia Regional will be taking on the winner of the North Carolina Regional… That means I will be pulling for Canisius, Towson or Florida Atlantic (anybody but the Tar Heels…. Click on the following for the for the national bracket showing which regional each of the 64 teams will be playing in and which super regional each regional winner will play in: 2013 NCAA Baseball Bracket
Braves: Blue Jays 9 – Braves 3: Atlanta opened a brief 2 game series in Toronto with a 9-3 loss to the Blue Jays… Atlanta pitcher Tim Hudson had an off night as he gave up 6 earned runs over 6 innings while the Braves offense sputtered somewhat not getting the clutch hit when they needed it… The Blue Jays had 11 hits 3 of which were homeruns while the Braves had 8 hits and only 1 homerun… Evan Gattis had a 2 run homer in the 8th inning… The Braves finish the short series with the Blue Jays today in a 12:30 contest then they head home to Atlanta tomorrow.
Greenville Drive: Savannah 4 – Greenville 1: The Drive came home last night to start a 7-game home stand and their offensive woes continue as the Savannah Sand Gnats defeated them 4-1… 9 hits with 2 of them homers for savannah while Greenville mustered on 6 hits with catcher Jayson Hernandez being the only Drive player with more than 1 hit (2)… Same 2 teams again tonight at Flour Field with 7:05 first pitch.
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation is hosting a free tennis clinic Saturday, June 1, beginning at 1pm. The clinic will be held at the Laurens City Park Tennis Complex and will be instructed by Chuck Waldron. The camp will be open to novice and experienced players and will lead into the upcoming Tennis Program offered by the City of Laurens. The Clinic is open to ages 5-18 and if you do not have a racquet there will be some available for use. Participants will also need to fill out a participation form prior to the event and must also wear non marking tennis shoes or sneakers. For more information please email LaurensPRD@yahoo.com.
- NAACP Annual Golf Tournament… The Laurens County Branch of the NAACP will be having their 6th Annual NAACP Tournament on Saturday June 1, 2013. The event will be held at Lakeside Country Club and will be a 3-man captain’s choice tournament with tee time scheduled for 9:00 am. The entry fee is $150.00 per team and includes green fees, cart and food. There will be door prizes also… For more information, contact numbers and a registration form see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com
- Softball camps at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Head Softball Coach Nickie Templeton and the Clinton YMCA are proud to announce a series of softball camps for youth of different ages. The camps will occur between June 1st and June 6th… Information about exact dates, ages, times and costs are can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Wednesday May 29th so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Laurens YMCA Tennis and Golf Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a tennis camp for ages 6-14 June 10-12.. They will be divided according to experience… Also June 11-13 there will be a golf camp at lakeside Country Club… The camp is for youth ages 7-15… The deadline to register for both these camps is June 9… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.