Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-29-13
- Women’s College Softball World Series… There are some of us who also like to keep up with college softball and the ladies are further along in the season than baseball… They have finished the regionals and super regionals and the final 8 will start the championship series tomorrow in Oklahoma City… The final 8 teams are: Nebraska, Washington, Tennessee, Florida, Arizona State, Texas, Michigan and Oklahoma.
Braves: Atlanta 7 – Toronto 6 (10)…. The Braves finished their current road trip and series with the Blue Jays yesterday afternoon as they took a 10 inning 7-6 win over the Jays… Braves catcher Brian had 2 homeruns in the game including the solo shot in the top of the 10th inning that turned out to be the game winner… McCann who missed the first 35 games of the season coming back from off-season surgery, now has 6 dingers in 16 games… The Braves had 12 hits with 4 of them being homers… In addition to McCann’s 2, Jordan Schafer and Evan Gattis each had a solo homer… The Braves return home for an 8 day home stand with the first two games being against the Toronto Blue Jays.
Greenville Drive: Savannah 8 – Greenville 3… The Greenville Drive continue to struggle as they lost to Savannah 8-3 last night at Flour Field…. The Drive have now lost 3 in a row and 8 of their last 9 games… The Drive will finish the current series with the Sand Gnats tonight at Flour Field.
- The overhead TV camera cable that broke during the Coca Cola 600 at Charlotte last Sunday night and fell onto the track made about as much news as the race results and as far as I know Fox sports still does not know why it broke … Very unusual for NASCAR to allow the cars to be worked on during a red flag halt in a race but that is what they allowed on cars that were supposedly damaged by the cable… The 3 fans that were taken to the hospital because of injury from the broken cable have been released….Bet it will be some time before that system is used again… As for the race itself, Kevin Harvick pulled away from Kasey Kahne on a restart Sunday with 11 laps left to win the Coca-Cola 600 for the second time in three seasons…. The remainder of the top 5 were Kurt Busch, Denny Hamlin and Joey Logano.
- Sprint Cup Standings: Coming out of last weekend’s the top 3 drivers in the Sprint Cup standings remain unchanged… Jimmie Johnson, Carl Edwards and matt Kenseth have positions 1-3 respectively… Clint Boyer moved up 1 spot to 4th and Kasey Kahne also moved up a spot to 5th… Dale Earnhardt Jr. dropped from 4th to 6th… The Sprint Cup gang gets back in action Sunday up at Dover in the FedEx 400…. The Nationwide Series will also be at Dover Saturday afternoon.
- The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation is hosting a free tennis clinic Saturday, June 1, beginning at 1pm. The clinic will be held at the Laurens City Park Tennis Complex and will be instructed by Chuck Waldron. The camp will be open to novice and experienced players and will lead into the upcoming Tennis Program offered by the City of Laurens. The Clinic is open to ages 5-18 and if you do not have a racquet there will be some available for use. Participants will also need to fill out a participation form prior to the event and must also wear non marking tennis shoes or sneakers. For more information please email LaurensPRD@yahoo.com.
- NAACP Annual Golf Tournament… The Laurens County Branch of the NAACP will be having their 6th Annual NAACP Tournament on Saturday June 1, 2013. The event will be held at Lakeside Country Club and will be a 3-man captain’s choice tournament with tee time scheduled for 9:00 am. The entry fee is $150.00 per team and includes green fees, cart and food. There will be door prizes also… For more information, contact numbers and a registration form see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com
- Softball camps at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Head Softball Coach Nickie Templeton and the Clinton YMCA are proud to announce a series of softball camps for youth of different ages. The camps will occur between June 1st and June 6th… Information about exact dates, ages, times and costs are can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Wednesday May 29th so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Laurens YMCA Tennis and Golf Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a tennis camp for ages 6-14 June 10-12.. They will be divided according to experience… Also June 11-13 there will be a golf camp at lakeside Country Club… The camp is for youth ages 7-15… The deadline to register for both these camps is June 9… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.