Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 6-10-13
Dixie Boys Baseball Tonight…. A quick reminder that weather permitting there will be a 1 game playoff for the Dixie Boys League Championship tonight at 6:00 pm between the Exchange Club and B&W Fence.
North Carolina Super Regional:
- Game 1, Saturday: Tar Heels 6 – Gamecocks 5… North Carolina outlasted South Carolina on Saturday in the rain delayed first game of the NC Super Regional as they took a 6-5 win on a walk-off single in the bottom of the 9th… The Gamecocks outhit the Tar Heels on the day, 15-11, but stranded a dozen runners and committed three errors, leading to a pair of unearned runs… The Gamecocks had their opportunities in the 4th, 6th and 8th inning but could not get the key hit to put the game away…. Click on the following for more game details: Game 1 Details: NC 6 – SC 5
- Game 2 Sunday: Gamecocks 8 – Tar Heels 0… The Gamecocks evened the best-of-3 series on Sunday behind a complete game shutout tossed by Jordan Montgomery as they took an 8-0 win… Montgomery allowed only 4 hits while striking out 4 and walking 1… The Gamecocks used 8 hits, nine walks and five stolen bases to generate those runs… Click on the following link for more details on the game: Game 2 Details, SC 8 – NC-0. This was the 1st shutout of North Carolina this season and forces game 3 today where the winner advances to Omaha to play in the CWS starting this weekend… First pitch is scheduled for 7:00 pm and will be on ESPN 2.
Braves: The Braves were out on the west coast taking on the Dodgers this weekend..
- Friday: Dodgers 2 – Braves 1 (10)… On Friday night the Braves lost their second game in a row to the Dodgers this time by a score 2-1 in 10 innings… The winning run came off a wild pitch by Braves reliever Anthony Varvaro his 2nd of that inning… Starter Paul Maholm pitched well enough to win going 7⅓ giving up 1 earned run on 4 hits while striking out 3 and walking 2.
- Saturday: Braves 2 – Dodgers 1…. Dan Uggla and pitcher Chris Medlin both had solo homers in the 5th inning to put the Braves up 2-0 as they held on for the win… Medlin picked up the win for the Braves.
- Sunday: Braves 8 – Dodgers 1… The Braves put 4 runs on the board in the 3rd inning and 3 more in the 4th then coasted to an 8-1 win over the Dodgers to earn a split of the 4 game series in Los Angeles… Dan Uggla had 2 homeruns for the Braves, a 3-run shot in the 3rd inning and a solo shot in the 5th… Mike Minor picks up the win to make his record 8-2 on the season.
- The Braves will start a 3 game series with the Padres tonight at 10:10 our time.
Greenville Drive: The Greenville drive hosted the Hickory, NC Crawdads over the weekend.
- Friday game 1: Greenville 17- Hickory 8… Friday afternoon the Drive and Crawdads finished a suspended game form a couple of weeks ago… The Drive had their offense in gear for a change as they pounded out 20 hits in a 17-8 victory.
- Friday game 2: Greenville 10 – Hickory 5… The 2nd game on Friday was a 7-sinning affair that the Drive also won by a score of 10-5… Both teams got 10 hits but the Drive got the key hits that Hickory while Hickory did not.
- Saturday: Hickory 5 – Greenville 1…. On Saturday the shoe went to the other foot as Greenville had only 6 its but could not get the key hit until the bottom of the 9th when a triple by Cody Koback tripled to drive in Greenville’s only run.
- Sunday: Hickory 6 – Greenville 3… The game on Sunday started a little late due to weather but they did manage to get 7 innings in the book before the weather caused the umps to call the game and the Crawdads took a 6-3 win… The Crawdads got all 6 of their runs in the 4th inning… The Drive will host the Charleston RiverDogs in a 3 game series plus the completion this afternoon of a weather suspended game from last week.
NBA: Miami 103 – San Antonio 84… The Miami Heat evened the NBA finals at 1 game each as they defeated the Spurs 103-84 in Miami last night…. Game 3 will be in San Antonio tomorrow night at 9:00 pm.
- Tennis Camp at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Coach Clovis Simmons will be conducting a tennis camp at the Clinton YMCA for youth 4 and up on different times June 17th – 20th… Information about times for the different age groups and costs are can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday June 14th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Laurens YMCA Pee Wee Sports and Football Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a Pee Wee Sports camp for ages 3-6 June 18-20.. They will be stressing basic skills in flag football, tee ball, soccer and basketball… Also on those dates Coach Jason Schumpert of LDHS will have a football camp… The deadline to register for both these camps is June 16… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
And finally, its only 81 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.