Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 6-17-13
- LDHS Girls Basketball Summer Workout… Head Girls basketball Coach Yoneko Washington will begin summer workouts today… The workouts will take place in the main gym at LDHS from 3:30 to 5:30… The workouts are open to rising 7th-12th graders in this coming school year… Now you must have a copy of your physical form to compete… If you have any questions, contact Coach Washington at 864-876-6016
- The District 1 All-Stars.. Play continued this weekend in the District 1 Coaches Pitch Tournament at the Laurens Little League fields… If you remember I told you an Friday that both the Laurens Green and Gold teams took victories on Thursday night… On Friday the Laurens green defeated Wren Gold 18-1… Also on Friday Laurens Gold took a 10-8 win over Greenwood-Abbeville…. Play continued on Saturday with the Laurens Green taking an 18-3 win over Laurens Gold and a 21-1 win over Greenwood-Abbeville… After losing to the Laurens Green, the Laurens Gold lost to Wren Blue 14-0 eliminating Laurens Gold from championship contention… Sunday (yesterday) the tournament concluded an the Laurens Gold team fell to Easley 10-0 to finish 4th… The Wren Blue team won the tournament by taking a 9-4 win over the Laurens Green team handing the Green team their only loss of the tournament…. Both the Wren Blue team and the Laurens Green team will be headed to Rock Hill to participate in the state championship tournament later this week.
College Notes: we will catch up with the CWS tomorrow.
- Spurs 114 – Heat 104: The San Antonio Spurs took a 3 game to 2 lead over the Miami Heat last night as they won 114-104 in San Antonio… San Antonio shot just over 60% from the field the first time a team has been able to shot more than 60% in a NBA finals game since 2009… Game 6 will be in Miami Tuesday night at 9:00 pm.
- Boston 2 – Chicago 1 (1OT)…On Saturday night the Boston Bruins tied the Stanley Cup Finals Series a game each as they defeated the Chicago Blackhawks 2-1 in overtime… Daniel Paille got the winning goal… Game 3 is tonight at 8:00 pm in Boston.
Braves: The Braves started a week long home stand last Friday night as they hosted the San Francisco Giants in a 3 game series:
- Friday: Giants 6 – Braves 0… Giants’ pitcher Madison Bumgarner gave up just 3 hits and struck out 10 Braves as the Giants took a 6-0 win over the Braves….That put the Braves losing at 4 games.
- Saturday: Braves 6 – Giants 5… Freddie Freeman had a walk-off single in the 9th inning to cap a 2 run 9th inning as the Braves took a 6-5 come from behind win… B.J. Upton had a solo homer and a 2-run shot in the game..
- Sunday: Braves 3 – Giants 0… Braves pitcher Julio Teheran worked out of 2 bases loaded jams yesterday as the Braves took a 3-0 win over the Giants… Freddie Freeman went 3-3 with a RBI to lead the Braves offense.
- Monday: The Braves start a 4 game home series with the Mets tonight.
Greenville Drive: The Drive finished the first half of the season this weekend in savannah as they faced off with the Sand Gnats…
- Friday: Savannah 2 – Greenville 1 (12)… On Friday the Drive lost 2-1 to the Gnats in 12 innings… After getting the leadoff batter in the bottom of the 12th, the Drive pitcher gave up 2 singles and a walk to load the bases with San Gnats and a sacrifice fly brought home the game winning run.
- Saturday: Savannah 7 – Greenville 2… Greenville gave up 4 runs in the bottom of the 1st inning and that was all the sand Gnats needed as they went on to a 7-2 win.
- Sunday: Savannah 8 – Greenville 0… Yesterday Savannah completed the sweep of Greenville with an 8-0 win… Savannah got 10 hits compared to Grenville’s 5 but got them when they counted scoring 2 runs in the 4th inning, 4 in the 7th and 2 more in the 8th.
- Baseball and Soccer Camps at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Coach Lee Atkinson will be conducting a baseball camp at the Clinton YMCA for boys 6-12 from 9:00 – 11:00 am June 24th – 28th… Meanwhile CHS Coach Sean Vick will lead a soccer camp June 24th - 28th for youth ages 6-12… Registration deadline is Friday June 21st at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555 or see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Laurens YMCA Baseball Camp… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a baseball camp for youth ages 7-14 June 25-27.. This camp will be conducted by former LDHS Coach Ed Prescott and will be held at Collyar Park … The deadline to register for is June 23rd… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621… There will also be a cosmetology camp June 25-28th… It will be conducted by Leigh Ann Simpson stylist for Miss SC Contestants and at Wimberly West in Laurens… It is open to youth 7-14 and has a maximum capacity of 20 participants… Again call the Y or see the posting at wlbg.com for more information.
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
And finally, its only 74 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.