Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 6-20-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Thursday and it’s brought to you by the Laurens County Speedway… Let’s look back at last Saturday night’s action and do a quick recap of each division’s main event:
- Crates… In the Crates, Mac Owens finished first… The real battle was behind him for 2nd where Larry Timms and Travis Knight got into each other wrecking Timms giving 2nd to Larry Knight and Greg Knight taking 3rd.
- Limited… Billy Rushton took the checkered flag in the Limited main event…. Ray Storay and Tony Quarles finished 2nd & 3rd respectively.
- Hobby…. The Hobby main event had Bobby Tucker crossing the finish line before anyone else…
- Super Stock 4… Brian Nelson started on the back row in the Super Stock 4 main event but that is not where he stayed for long as he finished first… Joe Gibson and Tim Collins were the next 2 across the finish line.
- Front Wheel Drive… Dustin Sloan won the right to be in Victory Lane at the finish of the FWD main event… Shane Roberts and Heath Eaton rounded out the top 3…
- Note… Now a reminder that the gates open at 6:00 pm this Saturday night and racing starts at 8:00 pm… Go ahead and make plans to go to the LCS where they do dirt right.
College Baseball Notes:
- Oregon State 1 – Indiana 0…. Oregon State scored a single run in the top of the 4th inning and made it hold up as they defeated Indiana 1-0 eliminating the Hoosiers…They will now play undefeated Mississippi State at 3:00 pm tomorrow.
- Today’s Schedule… Arch rivals North Carolina and NC State will meet in Omaha tonight at 8:00 pm in the only game on todays in the CWS… The loser will go home and the winner will face undefeated UCLA at 8:00 pm tomorrow.
- Braves 5 – Mets 3… Chris Johnson had a 3 run homer in the 4th inning but the Mets tied it up in the 5th before the Braves responded with 2 runs in the bottom of the 5th and then held on to take a 5-3 win over the Mets down at the Ted last night… Kris Medlin picked up the win for the Braves going 7 innings giving up 3 runs only 1 of which was earned while striking out 7 and walking none… The Braves and Mets finish the current series in Atlanta tonight.
- Chicago 5 – Boston 4 (OT)… Last night up in Boston, the Blackhawks evened the Stanley Cup Finals at 2 games apiece as they defeated the Bruins 5-4 in overtime… Brent Seabrook had the winning goal with 9:51 showing on the clock in the OT… Game 5 will be in Chicago on Saturday.
- Sprint Cup… Greg Biffle won the Sprint Cup Race at the Michigan International Speedway last Sunday and in doing so gave Ford its 1000th across NASCAR’s three national series… Kevin Harvick was second, 3 seconds behind Biffle. Martin Truex Jr. was next, followed by Kyle Busch and Tony Stewart.
- Sprint Cup Standings… Jimmie Johnson continues to lead the Sprint Cup standings… Carl Edwards is 2nd 31 points in back of Johnson… Clint Boyer, Kevin Harvick and Matt Kenseth round out the top 5.
- Nationwide… Last Saturday also up at Michigan, Regan Smith took the checkered flag in the Nationwide race…. Kyle Larson, Paul Menard, Kyle Busch and Trevor Bayne rounded out the top 5.
- Nationwide Standings… Regan Smith continues to hold down the top spot in the Nationwide Series standings 58 points ahead of Sam Hornish Jr. Justin Allgaier, Austin Dillon and Elliott Sadler make up the next 4.
- Schedule: On Saturday the Nationwide Series will be in Elkhart, WI running a road course race… On Sunday the Sprint Cup gang will be out in Sonoma.
- Free Swimming Lessons at the Laurens YMCA:…These lessons are for parents and children that are both looking to learn to swim together! We will have an adult class and a child class going on at the same time, so that both the parent and the child can learn how to swim! You must register one adult per child. Come out for four free swim lessons that are 30 minutes each….Limited space available. Sign up early to reserve your spot… Maximum capacity is 6 children and 6 adults per age group… Dates: June 24th, 25th, 26st, and 27th … Click on the following for more information and registration form: Laurens Y Free Parent-Child Swim Lessons Information
- Baseball and Soccer Camps at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Coach Lee Atkinson will be conducting a baseball camp at the Clinton YMCA for boys 6-12 from 9:00 – 11:00 am June 24th – 28th… Meanwhile CHS Coach Sean Vick will lead a soccer camp June 24th - 28th for youth ages 6-12… Registration deadline is Friday June 21st at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555 or see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Laurens YMCA Baseball Camp… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a baseball camp for youth ages 7-14 June 25-27.. This camp will be conducted by former LDHS Coach Ed Prescott and will be held at Collyar Park … The deadline to register for is June 23rd… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621… There will also be a cosmetology camp June 25-28th… It will be conducted by Leigh Ann Simpson stylist for Miss SC Contestants and at Wimberley West in Laurens… It is open to youth 7-14 and has a maximum capacity of 20 participants… Again call the Y or see the posting at wlbg.com for more information.
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
And finally, its only 71 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.