Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 6-24-13
College Baseball Notes: The CWS finals are set to start tonight as UCLA will square off against Mississippi in game 1 of the best of 3 series for the NCAA 2013 Baseball Championship… Let’s recap last Friday’s games to see how they got there:
- Mississippi State 4 – Oregon State 1…. In the fist game on Friday afternoon, Hunter Renfroe hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the fifth inning as Mississippi State beat Oregon State 4-1 and secured a spot in the 2013 College World Series championship series.
- UCLA 4 – North Carolina 1…. The Bruins, who have been winning in Omaha despite a less than stellar offense, got a two-run double from Pat Valaika to build a cushion, and then their record-setting closer David Berg survived a rocky ninth inning to finish a 4-1 victory against top-seeded North Carolina on Friday night.
Braves: The Braves spent the weekend in Milwaukee taking on the Brewers:
- Friday: Brewers 2 – Atlanta 0…. On Friday night the Brewers beat the Braves 2-0… Brewer’s starter Wily Peralta held the Braves to just 2 hits and his relievers held the Braves to 0 hits…. The Brewers managed just 8 hits but one was a solo shot in the 5th by Juan Segura to go along with a run they picked up in the first inning.
- Saturday: Brewers 2 – Atlanta 0… For the second day in a row, the Braves lost to the Brewers by a score of 2-0… The offense did manage 4 hit with Andrelton Simmons and B.J. Upton collecting 2 hits each… Tim Hudson (4-7) took the loss giving up the 2 earned runs in 6 innings of work striking out 4 and walking 4…
- Sunday: Braves 7 – Brewers 4… The Braves went 24 innings without a score but the drought was broken in the 1st inning of Sunday’s game as Brian McCann belted a grand slam to put the Braves up 4-0 as they went on to take a 7-4 win over the Brewers… Chris Johnson and Jordan Schafer both had solo homers for the Braves… The Braves have today off and will have a short 2-game series with the Royals in Kansas City tomorrow night.
Greenville Drive: The Greenville Drive completed their home series with the Hagerstown Suns over the weekend:
- Friday: Suns 13 – Drive 9… The Suns had only 1 more hit than the Drive (13 -12) but 2 errors hurt the Drive as Suns took a 13-9 win.
- Saturday: Drive 8 – Sun 0… The Drive finally got their bats swing at the right time as they outhit the Suns 11-5 in route to an 8-0 win over Hagerstown.
- Sunday: Suns 6 – Drive 0… The Suns closed out the series with the Drive yesterday with a 6-0 win over the Drive… The Drive had 4 errors in the game that hurt their chances… The Drive start a 3-game home series with the Charleston RiverDogs at Flour Field tonight.
- Blackhawks 3 – Boston 1… On Saturday night the Chicago Blackhawks defeated the Boston Bruins 3-1 in Chicago to go up 3-2 in the best of 7 series for the Stanley Cup… Game 6 will be tonight in Boston with the Bruins facing a must win on their home ice to force a game 7 in Chicago on Wednesday.
- Free Swimming Lessons at the Laurens YMCA: These lessons are for parents and children that are both looking to learn to swim together! We will have an adult class and a child class going on at the same time, so that both the parent and the child can learn how to swim! You must register one adult per child. Come out for four free swim lessons that are 30 minutes each….Limited space available. Sign up early to reserve your spot… Maximum capacity is 6 children and 6 adults per age group… Dates: June 24th, 25th, 26st, and 27th … Click on the following for more information and registration form: Laurens Y Free Parent-Child Swim Lessons Information
- Basketball and Cheerleading Camps at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Coach Todd Frazier will be conducting a basketball camp at the Clinton YMCA for boys 6-12 from 9:30 – 11:30 am July 8th – 10th… Meanwhile Coach Laurie Addison will lead a cheerleading camp July 8th – 10th for girls ages 6-12… Registration deadline is Friday July 5th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555 or see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Laurens YMCA Basketball & Art Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a basketball camp for youth ages 7-15 July 9-11.. This camp will be conducted by new LDHS Coach Ben Sinclair … The deadline to register for is July 7th… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621… There will also be an art camp July 9th-11th… There will be 2 sessions each day one for youth 6-9 and another for youth 10-15… Again call the Y or see the posting at wlbg.com for more information.
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
And finally, its only 67 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.