Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 6-24-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Well football season will be here before you know it and PC will open up on the road at Wake Forest on Thursday night, August 29th…. That is only 65 days away… Don’t you think it is time to think about getting your season tickets for Blue Hose football… Blue reserved chair-back seats season tickets are only $75 each while bench reserved seats are $54 each… You can call the ticket office at 864-833-8240 or click on the following to link to the PC webpage where you will find more information: 2013 PC Season Football Ticket Information
Laurens Dixie Boys 14-U All-Star Team
- Laurens 9 – Liberty 4….The Laurens Dixie boys’ 14u team opened up the district tournament against Liberty on Saturday… Liberty jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning… Morgan French settled down on the mound and pitched 4 more innings…. French left the game in the 6th with a 6-4 lead… Austin Cornelius pitched shutout ball in relief to get the save…. He led the charge offensively as well as Laurens stays in the winner’s bracket with a 9-4 win.
- Laurens 11 – Iva 4… ON Sunday the team took a 11-4 win over Iva… Austin Cornelius and Nick Howell provided the pitching… Nick Howell relieved Austin and did not give up any earned runs in 5 2/3 innings. Jordan Wilbanks and Austin Cornelius had two hits each… Wilbanks had 3 stolen bases and Austin had 3. The team provided a lot of support at the plate as Carson Gaffney, Bailey Holloman, Jaylon Massey and Morgan French had keys plate appearances.
Laurens Dixie Youth Coaches Pitch All-Star
- Laurens 17 – Ridge Springs 8…. Laurens Dixie Youth Coaches Pitch All-Star team started the district tournament Friday in Ridge Springs… They played the host team in the 5 team round robin format….Laurens beat Ridge Springs 17-8… They scored 5 runs in top of first… Leading hitters were Bennett Edwards 3 for 3, Witt Dickens 3-3, Tyler Grant 3 for 3, Myles Ray 3 for 3 with a big 2 run triple, Isaiah Satterfield had a three run home run, and Nick Fowler added a two run homer… Griffin Weatherford was 3 for 3 as well… Nathan Carlisle had two big hits but played great 2B with about 7 put outs…. Gracen McSwain had a big 2B to RF…. Coach Chris Edwards stated “ Proud of the way we hit the ball…. We need to focus a little more on our base running and fielding…. Overall it was a good way to start off the tournament.”
- Batesburg 21 – Laurens 11… On Saturday the team faced off against Batesburg… Unfortunately Batesburg took a 21-11 win over Laurens… Witt Dickens continued to stay hot at the plate went 3-3. Miles Ray hit another 3 run triple and the highlight of day was Nathan Carlise’s bases clearing grand slam… Big problem was too many errors in the field today….
- Edgefield 17 – Laurens 1… On Sunday, Laurens struggled at the plate and in the field as Edgefield took a 17-1 win over Laurens. .. They will take on Clinton tonight at 8:00.
College Baseball Notes:
- UCLA 3 – Mississippi St. 1… In game one of the CWS finals, UCLA took a 3-1 win over Miss. St. to go up 1 game to none in the best of three series… UCLA got a single run in the top of the 1st and 2 more in the 4th while holding the Bulldogs to a single run in the bottom of the 4th inning… Davis Berg of UCLA pitched the last 1⅔ innings picking up his 24th save of the season which is a new NCAA record… Game 2 is tonight and UCLA can capture the title with a win.
- The Braves had the night off last night and will start a 2 game series in Kansas City against the Royals tonight at 8:10 pm.
- Drive 7 – RiverDogs 6…. The Greenville Drive started a 3 game home series with the Charleston RiverDogs last night at Flour Field in a manner that is a little unusual for them – they won 7-6… The Drive had a 7-4 lead going into the top of the 9th inning when the RiverDogs scored 2 runs but the Drive were able to hold on to take the win… The Drive finally got their bats going in this game as they got 11 hits and played solid defense committing no errors…. Same 2 teams play at 11:05 this morning.
- Blackhawks 3 – Bruins 2… The Chicago Blackhawks scored 2 goals less than 30 seconds apart late in the 3rd period to take a 3-2 win over the Bruins in Boston last night giving them the Stanley Cup Championship, 4 game to 2… Bryan Bickell and Dave Bolland scored 17 seconds apart in the final 1:16 as the Blackhawks staged a stunning rally to win Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals
- Free Swimming Lessons at the Laurens YMCA: These lessons are for parents and children that are both looking to learn to swim together! We will have an adult class and a child class going on at the same time, so that both the parent and the child can learn how to swim! You must register one adult per child. Come out for four free swim lessons that are 30 minutes each….Limited space available. Sign up early to reserve your spot… Maximum capacity is 6 children and 6 adults per age group… Dates: June 24th, 25th, 26st, and 27th … Click on the following for more information and registration form: Laurens Y Free Parent-Child Swim Lessons Information
- Basketball and Cheerleading Camps at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Coach Todd Frazier will be conducting a basketball camp at the Clinton YMCA for boys 6-12 from 9:30 – 11:30 am July 8th – 10th… Meanwhile Coach Laurie Addison will lead a cheerleading camp July 8th – 10th for girls ages 6-12… Registration deadline is Friday July 5th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555 or see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Laurens YMCA Basketball & Art Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a basketball camp for youth ages 7-15 July 9-11.. This camp will be conducted by new LDHS Coach Ben Sinclair … The deadline to register for is July 7th… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621… There will also be an art camp July 9th-11th… There will be 2 sessions each day one for youth 6-9 and another for youth 10-15… Again call the Y or see the posting at wlbg.com for more information.
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
And finally, its only 66 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.