Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 6-27-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Thursday and it’s brought to you by the Laurens County Speedway… And while we are talking about the LCS let’s quickly review the results from the different main events last Saturday night:
- Super Stock 4… Stacy Brock took the lead at the start and held off an on track challenge by Brian Nelson who finished 2nd to take the checkered flag in the SS4 main event last Saturday but that was only the first challenge he faced from Brock…After the race, Nelson challenged some of the top end of Brock’s engine…. Brocks allowed the inspection and everything checked out so the win stood and Nelson finished 2nd, again… Tim Collins finished 3rd.
- Limited… In the Limited main event, Mike Measamer led the first 6 laps but that is not what counts and after a restart on lap 6, Billy Ruston took the lead from there to the checkered flag with Measamer close behind… Ray Storay was next across the finish line.
- Hobby… In a caution filled Hobby main event, Dan Lawson took the lead on the 6th lap and then went on to the win… Mart Patterson and Tim Tollison finished 2nd & 3rd respectively.
- Front Wheel Drive…. In the FWD main event, Shane Roberts took the win… Megan Templeton battled her way up to finish 2nd and Roger Right was 3rd.
- Crates… Greg Pilgrim took the checkered flag in the Crates main event… Terry Bullard and Mac Owens managed to finish 2nd and 3rd in caution filled race.
- Note: Remember racing starts each Saturday night at 8:00 pm and gates open at 6:00… The LCS is where they do dirt right!
- Royals 4 – Braves 2 (10)… The Braves finished their week long road trip and the brief 2-game series with the Royals with a 4-3 loss to the Royals in 10 innings… The Braves tied the game 3-3 in the 7th inning when they put 3 runs on the board with the big hit being a 2-run single by Justin Upton with 2 outs… The Braves have tonight off and start a weeklong home stand tomorrow night with the first team coming to the Ted being the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Drive 7 – RiverDogs 5… The Greenville Drive made it 3 in-a-row over the Charleston RiverDogs last night at Flour Field as they put 2 runs on the board in the 8th inning to break a 5-5 tie and take a 7-5 win over the Dogs… The Drive start a weeklong road trip tonight with the first stop being in Kannapolis to take on the Intimidators in a 4-game series.
NASCAR: Let’s do a quick recap on NASCAR from this past weekend…
- Sprint Cup Results…. The Sprint Cup visited Sonoma, CA last Sunday in a road course race and you knew they were not use to that kind of racing when right off the bat a couple of cars got into each other coming out of pit road to start warm-up laps at the start of the race… Well once they got to racing, martin Truex Jr. broke his 218-race winless streak by taking the checkered flag his first since 2007… Jeff Gordon, Carl Edwards, Kurt Busch and Clint Boyer rounded out the top 5.
- Sprint Cup Standings… There was no change in the top five racers at the top of the Sprint Cup driver standings… The top 5 continue to be Jimmie Johnson, Carl Edwards, Clint Boyer, Kevin Harvick and Matt Kenseth.
- Nationwide Results… The Nationwide folks also had to do some right hand turning on a road course last Saturday but they did it up in Wisconsin in the Road America … AJ Allmendinger took the win with Justin Allgaier, Parker Klingerman, Owen Kelly, and Sam Hornish Jr. finishing in the next four spots.
- Nationwide Standings… Regan Smith continues to lead in the Nationwide Driver Standings but Justin Allgaier moved up 1 spot to 2nd while Sam Hornish Jr. dropped one spot to 3rd… Austin Dillon and Elliot Sadler are 4th and 5th respectively.
- This Weekend’s Schedule… The Nationwide series will race up at the Kentucky Speedway at 7:30 tomorrow night and can be seen on ESPN… The Sprint Cup race will also be at the Kentucky Speedway on Saturday at 7:30 and can be seen on TNT.
- Basketball and Cheerleading Camps at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Coach Todd Frazier will be conducting a basketball camp at the Clinton YMCA for boys 6-12 from 9:30 – 11:30 am July 8th – 10th… Meanwhile Coach Laurie Addison will lead a cheerleading camp July 8th – 10th for girls ages 6-12… Registration deadline is Friday July 5th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555 or see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Laurens YMCA Basketball & Art Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a basketball camp for youth ages 7-15 July 9-11.. This camp will be conducted by new LDHS Coach Ben Sinclair … The deadline to register for is July 7th… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621… There will also be an art camp July 9th-11th… There will be 2 sessions each day one for youth 6-9 and another for youth 10-15… Again call the Y or see the posting at wlbg.com for more information.
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
And finally, its only 64 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.