Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 6-28-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… PC Head Softball Coach Kama Tucker and her staff are again this summer offering an All Skills Camp for girls ages 10-18 years of age… The camp will feature two full days of instruction in hitting, defense and base running… The camp will be July 8th – 9th and is open for commuters or residents… Click on the following for more information about the camp: 2013 PC Softball Camp Information
- Dixie Youth Coaches Pitch… Catching up on Dixie Youth Caches Pitch All-Star action from last Tuesday that I just have not had time get on, The Clinton team defeated the team from Laurens by a score of 18-6 to capture the district championship for the 2nd year in a row… Laurens led 5-0 at the end of the 1st inning but Clinton stormed back to take the win.. Clinton advances to the state championship in Georgetown which starts on July 5th.
- The Braves had the night off last night and will return home tonight to start a weekend series with the Arizona Diamondbacks…. By the way, the Braves enter tonight’s game with the D’backs in first place in the NL East with a 45-34 season record and they lead the 2nd place Washington Nationals by 5.5 games.
- Also tonight, the Braves will be honoring Chipper Jones by retiring his #10 in a pregame ceremony… Jones who spent his entire 20-year career with the Braves, retired at the end of last season and was the lone survivor of the Braves teams who turned things around in the early 90’s… I don’t have time to give you all the stats on this future hall of famer but if you click on the following link it will take you to an article on the Atlanta Braves website that does a great job of summarizing his career and putting it into perspective: Chipper Jones Article About His Retirement
- Drive 9 – Intimidators 5…. The Greenville Drive started a weeklong road trip with the first stop being in Kannapolis, NC to take on the Intimidators… The Drive continued their winning streak which now stands at a season high 4 games in a row 9-5 win over the Intimidators… The game was tied 2-2 when the Drive put 5 runs on the board in the 5th inning and 2 more in the 6th to build a lead Kannapolis could not overcome… The Drive did it with no homeruns but did pound out 14 hits to the Intimidators 8… The 2 teams will continue the series in NC this weekend.
NBA: The NBA started the 2013 draft last night and the top 10 draft picks were:
- Anthony Bennett, Power Forward, UNLV, by Cleveland Cavaliers
- Victor Oladipo, Shooting Guard, by Orlando Magic
- Otto Porter, Georgetown, Small Forward, by Washington wizards
- Cody Zellar, Indiana, Center, by Charlotte Bobcats
- Alex Len, Center, Maryland, by Phoenix Suns
- Nerlens Noel, Center, Kentucky, by New Orleans Pelicans.
- Ben McLemore, Shooting Guard, Kansas, by Sacramento Kings
- Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Georgia, Shooting Guard, by Detroit Pistons
- Trey Burke, Michigan, Point Guard, by Minnesota Timberwolves
- C.J. McCollum, Lehigh, Shooting Guard, by Portland Trail Blazers.
- This Weekend’s Schedule… The Nationwide series will race up at the Kentucky Speedway at 7:30 tonight and can be seen on ESPN… The Sprint Cup race will also be at the Kentucky Speedway tomorrow at 7:30 and can be seen on TNT.
- Basketball and Cheerleading Camps at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Coach Todd Frazier will be conducting a basketball camp at the Clinton YMCA for boys 6-12 from 9:30 – 11:30 am July 8th – 10th… Meanwhile Coach Laurie Addison will lead a cheerleading camp July 8th – 10th for girls ages 6-12… Registration deadline is Friday July 5th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555 or see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Laurens YMCA Basketball & Art Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a basketball camp for youth ages 7-15 July 9-11.. This camp will be conducted by new LDHS Coach Ben Sinclair … The deadline to register for is July 7th… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621… There will also be an art camp July 9th-11th… There will be 2 sessions each day one for youth 6-9 and another for youth 10-15… Again call the Y or see the posting at wlbg.com for more information.
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
And finally, its only 65 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.