Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-1-13
- The Laurens Little League 11-U All-Stars cashed their ticket to the State Championship tourney with a 11-0 win over Easley last night. The win also gets them to the one game showdown with Greenwood for the District 1 Title. The game started slowly as Laurens only scored 1 run in the first when Kobe Williams doubled and scored on a Dee Foster single. Little did they know that that is all the runs Laurens would need. Williams who was also the starting pitcher was as solid on the mound as he was at the plate, pitching 4 no hit innings. Dee Foster came in to finish off the game on the mound for Laurens. “I needed to get more work on the mound out of other pitchers” said Coach Jason Pridgen. “But if I would have realized that Kobe had a no-hitter going I would have let him finish off his awesome performance.” Pitching wasn’t the only thing working for Laurens tonight. Through 5 innings they had 17 hits and an offensive outburst that they hope to carry over to the championship game. Pridgen said, “It was great seeing the bats come alive for the first time in the tourney, we needed this to help build confidence and momentum going into Monday’s game.” The Championship game is today, July 1 at 7pm. Easley is hosting and will be at the JB Red Owens complex… Key hitters for Laurens: Aidan Pridgen-2 hits, 2 runs and 3 RBIs… Kobe Williams-3 hits, 3 runs and 1 RBI…. Heath Bragg-3 hits, 1 Run and 2 RBIs…. Dee Foster-3 hits, and 3 RBIs… Cameron Cooley-2 hits and 1 run scored… Dawson Foster-2 hits, 1 run and 3 stolen bases… Walt Womble-2 hits 2 runs and 4 RBIs.
Braves: The Braves hosted the Arizona Diamondbacks over the weekend…
- Friday: Braves 3 – Diamondbacks 0… Atlanta started the night off by honoring Chipper Jones by retiring his #10 uniform in a pregame ceremony… The Braves then went out and defeated the D-backs 3-0… Braves shortstop Andrelton Simmons had a solo homer in the 5th inning… Julio Teheran picked up the win.
- Saturday: Braves 11 – Diamondbacks 5… The Braves trailed by a single run going into the bottom of the 8th inning when they erased that deficit by putting 7 runs on the board in route to an 11-5 win over Arizona… Two hit batters coupled with 5 hits produced the 7 runs in the 8th…. Brian McCann had a 2-run double and Dan Ugglas’s RBI double were key hits in the inning… Freddie Freeman had a 2 run homer in the 3rd inning.
- Sunday: Braves 6 – Diamondbacks 2… The Braves brought out brooms and they were powered by 3 Bravo homers as the Braves took a 6-2 win to complete the sweep on a day when the honored the nations military… Freddie Freeman had a 3-run homer in the 3rd inning, Dan Uggla a 2-run homer in the 5th and Brian McCann a solo shot in the 2nd.. The Braves have tonight off and will host the Florida Marlins in a 3 game series starting tomorrow night.
Greenville Drive: The Greenville Drive continued the series they started with the Kannapolis Intimidators in NC this weekend… If you remember they won Thursday night’s game 9-5 to give them a season high winning streak of 4 games.
- Friday / Saturday: Kannapolis 9 – Greenville 3… Weather caused the Friday night game to be suspended and finished on Saturday and the Intimidators snapped the Drive’s winning streak as they took a 9-3 win… Couple of homeruns by the Intimidators and lack of clutch hits by the Drive at opportune times did them in.
- Saturday: Drive 5 – intimidators 3… In the regularly scheduled game on Saturday, the Drive bounced back and took a 5-3 win.
- Sunday: Drive 3 – Intimidators 0… Two Drive pitches held the Intimidators to just 2 hits as the Drive took a 3-0 win in the series finale… Davis Chester the Drive’s DH picked up his 12th home run of the season with a solo shot in the 2nd inning…. The Drive will travel to Kentucky to start a 3 game series with the Lexington Legends
And finally, its only 60 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Basketball and Cheerleading Camps … Clinton High School Coach Todd Frazier will be conducting a basketball camp at the Clinton YMCA for boys 6-12 from 9:30 – 11:30 am July 8th – 10th… Meanwhile Coach Laurie Addison will lead a cheerleading camp July 8th – 10th for girls ages 6-12… Registration deadline is Friday July 5th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555 or see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Basketball & Art Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a basketball camp for youth ages 7-15 July 9-11.. This camp will be conducted by new LDHS Coach Ben Sinclair … The deadline to register for is July 7th… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621… There will also be an art camp July 9th-11th… There will be 2 sessions each day one for youth 6-9 and another for youth 10-15… Again call the Y or see the posting at wlbg.com for more information.
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Basketball Camp…. Laurens City PRD will be having a basketball camp for youth ages 9-12 July 8th-10th… For more information, see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Youth Tackle Football… Registration is now open until July 23rd for youth tackle football with the City of Laurens Parks and Recreation… It is open to youth 7 – 12 years of age… For more information, see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.