Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-3-13
- Allen Staton Makes Coastal Plains League All-Star Team… Former LDHS standout Allen Staton has made the Western Division All-Star Team for the Coastal Plains League… The rising junior at North Greenville University made the team as a designated hitter… Staton is playing this summer for the Capital Blowfish which play their home games at Capital Field in Columbia, SC… He is batting .341 in 24 games and has 31 hits (2 of which are homeruns) driving in 25 runs…The Coastal Plain League is a wooden bat league that is composed of 14 teams playing in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. The All-Star Game will be Monday July 8th at War Memorial Stadium in Hampton, Va.
- Braves 11 – Marlins 3… The Braves broke a 3-3 tie going into the bottom of the 6th inning with 4 runs in the bottom of the inning in route to an 11-3 win over the Miami Marlins… The Braves had a season high 16 hits in the game and believe it or not, none of them were homeruns… Seven of the Braves hits were for extra bases as they collected 5 doubles and 2 triples… Chris Johnson went 3-4 with two doubles and 2 RBIs to lead the Braves at the plate… Kris Medlin picked up the win for the Braves… The second game of the 3 game series is tonight at The Ted.
Greenville Drive: The Drive played a doubleheader in Lexington, Ky. yesterday with the first game being a make-up form the rained out game on Monday night.
- Legends 1 – Drive 0… In the make-up of Monday night’s game, the Legends scored a single run in the 1st inning and made it stand up as they took a 1-0 win over the Drive… The story in this game was simple, the Drive had NO hits and managed only 2 base runners in the game
- Legends 7 – Drive 1… In the regularly scheduled game, the Legends broke open a 2-1 ball game scoring 5 runs in the 5th inning and went on to take a 7-1 win over the Drive… The Drive managed only 5 hit in the game..
This & That:
- No-Hitter in MLB… Last night, Cincinnati’s Homer Bailey pitched a complete game no-hitter as the Reds defeated the Giants 3-0… He only walked 1 and struck out 9 in the game… A interesting note, he also pitched the last no-hitter in MLB last September…
- A-Rod Hitless in First Rehab… Yankee’s Alex Rodriguez went hitless in 2 plate appearances last night in Charleston as he started his 20 day rehab period…. He is coming off hip surgery back in January… He is scheduled to play at least 3 innings again tonight for the Riverdogs and then they will evaluate what his next move will be on Thursday.
And finally, its only 59 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Basketball and Cheerleading Camps … Clinton High School Coach Todd Frazier will be conducting a basketball camp at the Clinton YMCA for boys 6-12 from 9:30 – 11:30 am July 8th – 10th… Meanwhile Coach Laurie Addison will lead a cheerleading camp July 8th – 10th for girls ages 6-12… Registration deadline is Friday July 5th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555 or see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Basketball & Art Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a basketball camp for youth ages 7-15 July 9-11.. This camp will be conducted by new LDHS Coach Ben Sinclair … The deadline to register for is July 7th… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621… There will also be an art camp July 9th-11th… There will be 2 sessions each day one for youth 6-9 and another for youth 10-15… Again call the Y or see the posting at wlbg.com for more information.
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Basketball Camp…. Laurens City PRD will be having a basketball camp for youth ages 9-12 July 8th-10th… For more information, see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Youth Tackle Football… Registration is now open until July 23rd for youth tackle football with the City of Laurens Parks and Recreation… It is open to youth 7 – 12 years of age… For more information, see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.