Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-4-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Thursday and it’s brought to you by Laurens County Speedway… And while we are talking about the LCS let’s quickly review the results from the different main events last Saturday night:
- Front-Wheel-Drive… There was a first-time-ever winner at LCS last Saturday night and that was Andrew Patterson who took his the win in the FWD Division… After the race, he was treated to the traditional mud bath…. Megan Templeton was second and Roger Wright third.
- Hobby… Clark Smith took the checkered flag in the main event of the Hobby Division. He and Chris Patterson battled for the win in the last 3 laps… Dan Lawson finished third after Smith and Patterson.
- Limited: Mike Measamer was across the finish line in the Limited… He passed Billy Rushton about halfway through the race in route to the win… Rushton finished second with Ray Storay not too far behind third.
- Super Stock Four… J.R. Baker took the win in the SS4… Brian Nelson and Eaves rounded out the top 3.
- Crates… Mac Owens took his fourth win in five weeks and lead almost wire to wire with little serious challenge… Terry Bullard managed to capture second and Greg Knight third.
- Note: Remember racing starts each Saturday night at 8:00 pm and gates open at 6:00… The LCS is where they do dirt right!
- Marlins 6 – Braves 3… The Miami Marlins took game 2 of the 3-game series in Atlanta by a score of 6-3 on a rain soaked Turner Field… Braves pitcher Mike Minor was doing well until the 5th inning when things fell apart and the Fish scored 3 runs after 2 were out and a walk to the opposing pitcher started it…. Brian McCann did get his 10th homerun of the season a solo shot in the 4th inning… The teams will play the rubber game of the series just after 7:00 tonight in Atlanta.
- MLB All- Star Voting… Fan voting for this year’s MLB All-Star Teams will close tonight a minute before midnight ET… Click on the following link to go to the MLB website to vote: MLB All-Star Voting Link
- Legends 4 – Drive 2… The Greenville drive finished the 3 game road trip with the Lexington Legends last night and the Legends brought out the brooms as they swept the series with Greenville taking a 4-2 win last night… The legends had a 2-run homer in the 6th inning that broke a 2-2 tie and went on to the win… The Drive managed only 5 hits in the game… The Drive return to Flour Field tonight to start a 4 game series with the Savannah Sand Gnats… The game tonight will start at 6:00 and there will at least be fireworks after the game if not during it.
NASCAR: Let’s recap action from last weekend in NASCAR up at the Kentucky Speedway and the standings after the races:
- Nationwide Results: Kyle Busch dominated early, but Brad Keselowski was leading when it counted most to win Friday night’s rain-shortened Nationwide Series race. Elliot Saddler finished 2nd, Matt Crofton 3rd, Brian Vickers 4th and Bush 5th.
- Nationwide Standings: Regan Smith still sets atop the standings for Nationwide drivers but Sam Hornish Jr. is only 8 points back in 2nd place, Justin Allgaier is only 11 points back, Elliot Sadler 19 back and Austin Dillon 20 in back of the leader… Pretty bunched up aren’t they.
- Sprint Cup Results: Rain forced the Saturday Sprint Cup race in Kentucky to be run on Sunday and Matt Kenneth’s fuel-only pit stop near the end of the race helped him take his season high 4th win of the series… The remainders of the top 5 finishers were Jamie McMurray, Clint Boyer, Joey Logano and Kyle Busch.
- Sprint Cup Standings: Jimmie Johnson continues to hold the lead in the Sprint Cup standings but his lead is now down to just 38 points over Carl Edwards…. The next 3 spots continue to be held by Clint Boyer, Kevin Harvick and Matt Kenseth.
This & That:
And finally, its only 58 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Basketball and Cheerleading Camps … Clinton High School Coach Todd Frazier will be conducting a basketball camp at the Clinton YMCA for boys 6-12 from 9:30 – 11:30 am July 8th – 10th… Meanwhile Coach Laurie Addison will lead a cheerleading camp July 8th – 10th for girls ages 6-12… Registration deadline is Friday July 5th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555 or see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Basketball & Art Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a basketball camp for youth ages 7-15 July 9-11.. This camp will be conducted by new LDHS Coach Ben Sinclair … The deadline to register for is July 7th… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621… There will also be an art camp July 9th-11th… There will be 2 sessions each day one for youth 6-9 and another for youth 10-15… Again call the Y or see the posting at wlbg.com for more information.
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Basketball Camp…. Laurens City PRD will be having a basketball camp for youth ages 9-12 July 8th-10th… For more information, see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Youth Tackle Football… Registration is now open until July 23rd for youth tackle football with the City of Laurens Parks and Recreation… It is open to youth 7 – 12 years of age… For more information, see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.