Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-9-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… PC Head Tennis Coaches Adam Herendeen and Catherine Dunagan will be having a tennis camp for youth 4-18 July 17th – 20th… From 8am to 8:45 it will be a special Quickstart Camp for youth 4-7 and from 9 – 11:30 the regular camp for youth 8-18… For more information on the camp, click on the following link: PC Tennis Camp Information
Clinton Dixie Youth All-Star Teams:
- Dixie Youth Coach Pitch team (7 – 8 yr olds) is playing in the State Tournament in Georgetown, SC and have won their first two games… They defeated Sumter American 7 – 4 Saturday and then defeated Lake City 4 – 2 later in the day on Saturday… They received a bye on Sunday and have advanced to the 4th round of the tournament and were to play Sumter National last night… I will get those results to you as soon as I can… They have already qualified to advance to the Sectionals in Tennessee July 26 – 29.
- Dixie Youth Majors (11 – 12 year olds) defeated Saluda 7 – 6 on Saturday.. They trailed 6 – 0 in the 3rd inning but stormed by after a rain delay taking the win… Chance Ewell was the winning pitcher… They had a bye on Sunday and were scheduled to play Edgefield last night… again I will get the results to you as soon as I have them.
- Braves 7 – Marlins 1 (14)… The Braves and Marlins battled to a 1-1 tie at the end of 9 innings down in Miami last night and it stayed that way until the top of the 14th inning when the Braves exploded for 6 runs to take a 7-1 win… The Braves drew a couple of walks to start the 14th then Justin Upton drove in 2 runs to start the Braves scoring in the inning… Gerald Laird and Chris Johnson also had run scoring hits in the decisive 14th inning… The same two teams will square off tonight in Miami at 7:10.
- The Drive had the night off last night and will resume play tonight as they start a series in Charleston taking on the RiverDogs…. The Drive currently are playing better than the 1st half of the season as they are in 2nd place in the South Atlantic League southern division with a 10-8 record.
NASCAR: Looking back at last weekend at Daytona
- Nationwide Results: With just two laps to go after a crash caused the red flag to come out, Matt Kenseth pulled away from traffic on the final restart of Friday night’s Nationwide Series race, cruising to a comfortable win at Daytona International Speedway… James Busechner finished 2nd, Elliott Sadler 3rd and Kurt Bush 4th.
- Nationwide Standings: Regan Smith is still in 1st place in the Nationwide driver standings with the balance of the top 5 being Sam Hornish Jr., Elliott Sadler, Justin Allgaier and Austin Dillon.. The top 5 are all pretty close together as only 17 points separated Smith and Dillon
- Sprint Cup Results: Jimmie Johnson took the checkered flag in the checkered flag in the Sprint Cup Race at Daytona on Saturday night and became the first driver since 1982 to win both Sprint Cup races at Daytona in the same season… Bobby Allison was the last back in 1982… Besides Johnson and Allison, only 3 other drivers have accomplished that feat; Fireball Roberts (62), Cale Yarbrough (68) and Lee Roy Yarbrough (69)… Tony Stewart finished 2nd, Kevin Harvick 3rd, Clint Bowyer 4th and Michael Waltrip 5th.
- Sprint Cup Standings: Jimmie Johnson continues to lead in the Sprint Cup Driver Standings with 658 points… Clint Bowyer moved up a notch to 2nd 49 points behind Johnson…. Carl Edwards drops a spot to 3rd, Kevin Harvick 4th and Dale Earnhart Jr. moves up a spot to 5th.
This & That:
- Laurens High… The Raiders will host a passing league contest today at 5:00 at KC Hannah Stadium.
- And finally, its only 52 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Tennis Camp… Clinton High School Coach Clovis Simmons will be conducting a tennis camp at the Clinton YMCA for youth 4 and up on different times July 22nd – 25th… Information about times for the different age groups and costs are can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday July 19th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Soccer Camp… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a soccer camp for youth ages 7-16 July 16th – 18th… This camp will be conducted by the Y staff and guest … The deadline to register for is July 14th … For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621….
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Baseball Camp…. Laurens City PRD will be having a baseball camp for youth ages 7-12 July 15th-18th… For more information, see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Youth Tackle Football… Registration is now open until July 23rd for youth tackle football with the City of Laurens Parks and Recreation… It is open to youth 7 – 12 years of age… You can register at the Little River Park Office 3-7 weekdays….For more information; see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Youth Cheerleading… Registration is now open until July 31st for youth cheerleading… It is open to girls ages 5-12… You can register at the Little River Park Office during normal business hours… For more information; see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.