Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-15-13
- Laurens Little League All-Star Team: The Laurens Little League 11 All Star team was rained out on Friday in their game with district foe Greenwood on Friday night… The two teams did get together on Saturday and Greenwood took the win giving Laurens their first loss in the double-elimination tournament for the state championship… Since then, the rain has caused the cancellation of all games in Easley… Laurens is scheduled to be back in action tonight at 8:00 pm against the winner of the Northwood vs. Irmo game.
Braves: The Braves continued their series Cincinnati in Atlanta:
- Friday: Reds 4 – Braves 2… The Reds evened the 4-game series at 1 game each with a 4-2 win over the Braves on Friday night… The Reds struck for 3 runs in the first inning and then limited the Braves to just 4 hits and the 2 runs the rest of the way… Brian McCann did have a solo homerun for the Braves in the 7th inning… As a side note, the Braves outfield took another hit from the injury bug during the game… Jason Heyward did not start due to an injury and both BJ and Justin Upton had to leave the game at different times due to injuries sustained in the game…
- Saturday: Braves 5 – Red 2… The Braves fell behind 2-0 early in the game on Saturday but behind the patchwork outfield composed of Reed Johnson, Joey Terdoslavich and Jose Constanza who combined went 7-11 in the game, came back to take a 5-2 win over the Reds… The Braves did this mainly against Red’s pitcher Homer Bailey who less than 2 weeks ago threw a no-hitter… Brian McCann and Dan Uggla had solo homers for the Braves and Mike Minor picked up his 9th win of the season… A side note, Freddie Freeman suffered a jammed thumb in the game… The injury bug continues to plague the Braves
- Sunday: Reds 8 – Braves 4… On Sunday, the Braves had less than half their of their normal lineup in the game due to injuries and fell to the Reds by a score of 8-4 to give the two teams a split of the 4 game series… The Reds scored in bunches as they scored 4 in the 3rd inning and 3 in the 9th to ice the game… The Braves managed 9 hits with Dan Uggla getting a solo homer in the 8th inning and Andrelton Simmons getting a solo homer in the 9th… The Braves have a few days off as the All-Star Game is tomorrow night… I’ll have more about that tomorrow.
Greenville Drive: The Drive were suppose to start a 4-game series with the Savannah Sand Gnats down on the coast of Georgia Friday night but bad weather forced the postponement of that game.
- Saturday: The Drive and the Sand Gnats got 5 innings in the book before rain caused them to suspend the game tied up at 1 all at the end of 5 innings.
- Sunday: Well Mother Nature just doesn’t want the Drive and sand Gnats to play this weekend as rain cancelled everything in Savannah Sunday… They will try to complete Saturday’s game and get in another game today down on the coast.
This & That:
- The SEC Media Days: The SEC has their Media Days for football starting tomorrow out in Birmingham… South Carolina Coach Steve Spurrier as well as Connor Shaw, Bruce Ellington and Jadeveon Clowney are scheduled to appear tomorrow just before 4:00 pm… Always interesting to hear what the “Old Ball Coach” has to say at these events…. Click on the following link to see the complete schedule for 3-day event and quotes after each team speaks: 2013 SEC Football Media Days Schedule and Quotes
- ACC Football Kickoff: The ACC will not start its version of media days until next Sunday and I’ll have, more about that as the week goes along.
- And finally, its only 46 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Tennis Camp… Clinton High School Coach Clovis Simmons will be conducting a tennis camp at the Clinton YMCA for youth 4 and up on different times July 22nd – 25th… Information about times for the different age groups and costs are can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday July 19th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Soccer Camp… The Laurens YMCA will be holding an archery camp for youth ages 7-12 July 23rd – 25th and a wrestling camp for youth ages 5-13 on those same dates… This archery camp will be conducted by Coach Ed Prescott and the wrestling camp by Coach Rob Sheffield of LDHS and Coach Joseph Kemp … The deadline to register for these camps is July 21st … For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621….
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Kid’s Choice Camp…. Laurens City PRD will be having a kid’s choice camp for youth ages 6-12 July 22nd – 24th at the Little River Park from 9 am – noon… Daily game choices might include putt putt, shuffle board, kickball and other fun activities… For more information, see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Youth Tackle Football… Registration is now open until July 23rd for youth tackle football with the City of Laurens Parks and Recreation… It is open to youth 7 – 12 years of age… You can register at the Little River Park Office 3-7 weekdays….For more information; see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Youth Cheerleading… Registration is now open until July 31st for youth cheerleading… It is open to girls ages 5-12… You can register at the Little River Park Office during normal business hours… For more information; see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.