Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-17-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Wednesday and it’s brought to you by Laurens County School District 55 and they want me to remind you that the first day of school for students in just around the corner on Monday, August 19th… If you are new to the district, please be sure to go by your local school and get your children enrolled as soon as possible… If you have any questions about which school your child might attend, contact the district office at 984-3568 or visit their website by clicking on the following link: Laurens Dist. 55 Website
MLB All-Star Game:
- AL – 3 – NL 0… The AL took a 3-0 victory over the NL last night in the 84th Annual All-Star Game last night in New York breaking the NL 3 year winning streak in the mid-summer classic giving the AL home-field advantage in this fall’s World Series… The AL got 9 hits in the game and scored single runs in the 4th, 5th and 8th inning while holding the NL to just 3 hits and no runs… Yankees’ pitcher Mario Rivera pitched the 8th inning for the AL retiring the side in order and received a standing ovation from not only the crowd but from both benches… Rivera was named the games MVP and got a nice looking 2014 Corvette in the process.
- The Drive did not play last night and will start a week lo9ng home stand tonight at Flour Field with The Ashville Tourist being the first team in town.
- Nationwide Results… On Saturday, it took 3 green-white-checkered –flag finishes and 13 extra laps to get a winner in the nationwide race in Loudon, NH but when all was done Kyle Busch crossed the finish line first picking up his 58th career win… Brian Vickers, Austin Dillon, Brian Scott and Michael Annett rounded out the top 5.
- Nationwide Driver Standings… Regan Smith and Sam Hornish Jr. continue to hold down the #1 & #2 spots respectively in the Nationwide Driver Standings after Saturday’s race… Austin Dillon moved up 2 spots to 3rd, Justin Allgaier retained his 4th spot and Elliott Sadler dropped 2 spots to 5th to round out the top 5.
- Sprint Cup Results… Sunday in a caution filled race that went overtime in a green-white-checkered flag finish in New Hampshire, part-time driver Brian Vickers took the checkered flag for his 3rd career victory and first since August 2009… Kyle Busch, Jeff Burton, Brad Keselowski and Aric Almirola rounded out the top 5.
- Sprint Cup Standings… As far as the Sprint Cup Driver Standings go there is no change in the top 5 from last week as far as order go… They are Jimmy Johnson, Clint Bowyer, Carl Edwards, Kevin Harvick and Dale Earnhart Jr. in that order.
This & That:
- SEC Media Day: Coach Steve Spurrier, QB Connor Shaw, Rec. Bruce Ellington and DE Jadeveon Clowney all took the stage late this afternoon at the SEC Media Day in Alabama… Spurrier was ask all the typical questions and even had a few comments like he might consider one day skydiving like Connor Shaw recently did… He was even asked about coaching at his age and replied that if the Pop0e who is older than he could lead several million people he thought he could manage to get 11 guys on the field at one time… He always good for a laugh… For more on his comments click on the following link that will carry you to South Carolina’s website: USC Coverage of Media Day… Click on the following for the SEC coverage of media day: 2013 SEC Football Media Days Schedule and Quotes
- And finally, its only 44 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Tennis Camp… Clinton High School Coach Clovis Simmons will be conducting a tennis camp at the Clinton YMCA for youth 4 and up on different times July 22nd – 25th… Information about times for the different age groups and costs are can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday July 19th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Soccer Camp… The Laurens YMCA will be holding an archery camp for youth ages 7-12 July 23rd – 25th and a wrestling camp for youth ages 5-13 on those same dates… This archery camp will be conducted by Coach Ed Prescott and the wrestling camp by Coach Rob Sheffield of LDHS and Coach Joseph Kemp … The deadline to register for these camps is July 21st … For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621….
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Kid’s Choice Camp…. Laurens City PRD will be having a kid’s choice camp for youth ages 6-12 July 22nd – 24th at the Little River Park from 9 am – noon… Daily game choices might include putt putt, shuffle board, kickball and other fun activities… For more information, see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Youth Tackle Football… Registration is now open until July 23rd for youth tackle football with the City of Laurens Parks and Recreation… It is open to youth 7 – 12 years of age… You can register at the Little River Park Office 3-7 weekdays….For more information; see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Youth Cheerleading… Registration is now open until July 31st for youth cheerleading… It is open to girls ages 5-12… You can register at the Little River Park Office during normal business hours… For more information; see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.