Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-23-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The Blue Hose football schedule this year includes 6 home games… The first is Sept. 7th as they host Brevard… The other home games are against Charlotte, VMI, Point University, Charleston Southern and Gardner-Webb…. Blue reserved chair-back seats season tickets are only $75 each while bench reserved seats are $54 each… You can call the ticket office at 864-833-8240 or click on the following to link to the PC webpage where you will find more information: 2013 PC Season Football Ticket Information
- Braves 2 – Mets 1… The Braves started a 4-game series with the Mets in N.Y. last night and picked up their 30th comeback win of the season as they defeated the Mets 2-1… The Braves trailed 1-0 going into the top of the 9th inning Brian McCann and Evan Gattis led off the 9th with singles and McCann later scored on a sacrifice by Chris Johnson… One out later, Reed Johnson delivered the game winning hit… The Mets almost came back in the bottom of the 9th but a game saving diving catch by center fielder Jason Heyward ended the threat.. Same 2 teams play again tonight in New York.
- Legends 7 – Drive 3… The Lexington Legends made it 3 in-a-row over the Drive up in Greenville last night as they took a 7-3 win… The teams will finish the 4 game series today with first pitch scheduled for 11:05 am… The Drive need to win this one to avoid the sweep before they go on the road for a week.
- Clemson & Tajh Boyd Picked as Tops in ACC: The ACC wrapped up its version of media days called the ACC Football Kickoff in Greensboro and Clemson was picked to win its second ACC title in 3 years by the media covering the ACC… Clemson leads the ACC with 14 conference championships… Clemson was picked to win the Atlantic Division with Florida State a distant 2nd… Miami was picked to win the Coastal Division with Virginia Tech finishing 2nd in the division… Clemson QB Tajh Boyd was picked to repeat as ACC Player of the Year by the media…. Duke Johnson of Miami was picked to finish a very distant 2nd behind Boyd… Click on the following link to the ACC website for more complete information as to standings and player of the year selection: 2013 ACC Media Football Predictions
- Boyd & Shuey Speak with Media: On Sunday, Tajh Boyd and Spencer Shuey spoke with the media at the ACC Football Kickoff… Both senior Clemson players had some interesting comments about the upcoming season and the opener with Georgia… Click on the following link to see a recap of their comments: Boyd & Shuey Speak to Media
- Sweeny Talks with Media: The ACC website also has a website where a couple of the ACC Media representatives… Click on the following to see that interview: Dabo Sweeney Interview
- Marcus Lattimore… Former South Carolina football will open training camp with the San Francisco 49ers on the active/non-football injury list. That designation means Lattimore will count against the 90-man roster limit and can be activated at any time before final cuts, though he’s expected to miss most, if not all, of his rookie season. He reports to rookie camp Friday 7-26-13, Vets next wed…. Lattimore said he’s looking forward to learning from 49ers running back Frank Gore, who reached out to him when Lattimore first injured his knee last year. A year after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, Lattimore had reconstructive surgery Nov. 2, performed by renowned surgeon James Andrews, to repair the anterior cruciate, lateral collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments in his right knee. Gore, too, was damaged goods coming out of college.
This & That:
- Raiders Host Passing League Contest: The Laurens raiders will be hosting a passing league contest today at 5 pm up at TL Hannah Stadium.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 38 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Karate Camp… Master Johnny Kelly will be conducting a karate camp for the Clinton YMCA for youth 8 and up on different times August 12 – 15… More information about the camp such as times and cost can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday August 9th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Pee-Wee and Cooking Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding pee-wee and cooking camps July 30th to August 1st… The pee-wee camp is for youth ages 3-6 and the cooking camp will be for youth 9-16… The deadline to register for these camps is July 28th … For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621.
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Tennis Camp…. Laurens City PRD will be having a tennis camp for youth ages 5-18 August 5th – 8th from 1 – 4 pm… Former College and Pro Player will be the instructor… For more information, see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Youth Tackle Football… Registration is now open until July 23rd for youth tackle football with the City of Laurens Parks and Recreation… It is open to youth 7 – 12 years of age… You can register at the Little River Park Office 3-7 weekdays….For more information; see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Youth Cheerleading… Registration is now open until July 31st for youth cheerleading… It is open to girls ages 5-12… You can register at the Little River Park Office during normal business hours… For more information; see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.