Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-24-13
- Mets 4 – Braves 1…. The Braves started last night’s game in New York off with a bang as Andrelton Simmons hit the 2nd pitch of the game over the outfield wall for a homerun to put the Braves up 1-0 but that started and ended the Braves scoring as the Mets went on to take a 4-1 win… The Mets broke a 1-1 tie in the 6th inning as they plated 3 runs in that decisive inning… Braves starter Kris Medlin gave up 3 runs on 4 hits in that inning before being removed… The Braves never really threatened after that… Game 3 of the 4 game series is set to start at 7:10 tonight.
- Drive 5 – Legends 4…. Yesterday afternoon the Drive and the Lexington Legends played the last game of their current 4-game series and the Drive barley managed to avoid being swept by the Legends as they took a 5-4 win over the Legends at Flour Field… The reason I say barley is that the Drive had to score 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th inning to take the win… After one out in the 9th, the Drave used 4 consecutive singles to get the walk-off win…. The Drive will be off today as they hit the road to Lakewood, NJ to start a series with the BlueClaws on tomorrow.
- Carolina Panthers… Another sure sign that Fall is on the way is the fact that the Carolina Panther players will be reporting to Wofford tomorrow to get ready for the start of training camp on Friday… The Panthers have scheduled a Back to Football Party Friday starting at 4:30 and continuing to 6:15 when the Panthers start their first practice and then will resume after practice at 8:30 and wind up about 9:00… During the event they will have a band, face painting and other activities and it is all FREE… Click on the following link for more information and a Panther training camp schedule: Panther Training Camp Schedule and Information
- Atlanta Falcons… The Atlanta Falcons also start their training camp this week and as a matter of fact they are scheduled to start practice tomorrow… For more information on their training camp, click on the following link: Falcon Training camp Information
This & That:
- Clinton Coaches Pitch State Championship Fundraiser: A couple of weeks ago the Clinton Dixie Youth Coaches Pitch All-Star Star team won the state championship which qualified them to move on to the Region Tournament in Rockwood, Tenn. This Friday… The cost for this trip is at least $5000… The Clinton YMCA is accepting donations which are 100% tax deductible but there is also another way you can help… Zaxby’s of Laurens will donate 10% of all sales tonight between the hours of 5 – 8 pm today if you mention the all-stars when ordering… So if you plan on eating out tonight, please consider going to Zaxby’s and mention the Clinton All-Stars when ordering… Thank you in advance from the all-stars.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 37 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Karate Camp… Master Johnny Kelly will be conducting a karate camp for the Clinton YMCA for youth 8 and up on different times August 12 – 15… More information about the camp such as times and cost can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday August 9th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Pee-Wee and Cooking Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding pee-wee and cooking camps July 30th to August 1st… The pee-wee camp is for youth ages 3-6 and the cooking camp will be for youth 9-16… The deadline to register for these camps is July 28th … For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621.
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Tennis Camp…. Laurens City PRD will be having a tennis camp for youth ages 5-18 August 5th – 8th from 1 – 4 pm… Former College and Pro Player will be the instructor… For more information, see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Youth Cheerleading… Registration is now open until July 31st for youth cheerleading… It is open to girls ages 5-12… You can register at the Little River Park Office during normal business hours… For more information; see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.