Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-25-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Thursday and it’s brought to you by the Laurens County Speedway… Well for the first time in 3 weeks they were able to race at the LCS last Saturday night and lets’ take a fast look back at the results in the each division’s main event.
- Limited… Billy Ruston took the lead after the last of several restarts and pulled away for the win… B.J. Eubanks finished second and Tony Quarles third.
- Hobby…Dan Lawson continues to be the dominate driver in the Hobby Division as he won again last Saturday night… The next 2 drivers across the finish line were Chris Patterson and Tim Tollison.
- Front-Wheel Drive… Rick Jones picked up his first-ever win in the main event and was treated to the traditional mud bath afterward… Travis Barbary and Neil Meeks finished 2nd & 3rd respectively… Maybe one of the more interesting parts of this race occurred just before the finish when Megan Templeton and Shane Roberts were shall we say racing too hard resulting in Templeton being black flagged as the race ended and Roberts being disqualified for actions against Templeton after the race.
- Super Stock 4… Stacy Brock led wire to wire for the win in the SS4 main event… It was not an easy victory though as he had to hold off Brian Nelson for most of the race… Nelson finished second and J.R. Baker third.
- Crates… Dale Timms took a fairly easy victory in a race that had several cautions… Greg Pilgrim and Terry Bullard rounded out the top 3… A story developed after the race that may have ramifications for the rest of the racing season at the LCS… Point leader Mac Owens engine failed inspection after the race and this may keep from racing the rest of this season and into next because the Crate races are sanctioned by the Southeast Crate Association which may have stiffer penalties than the typical LCS rules.
- Note: Remember racing starts each Saturday night at 8:00 at the LCS with gates opening at 6:00… LCS is where they Do Dirt Right!
- Braves 8 – Mets 2… The Braves took an 8-2 win over the Mets in the third game of the 4 game series up in New York last night but it may well turn out to be a very costly win for the Bravos… Braves starting pitcher Tim Hudson was pitching one of his better games giving up 2 runs on 4 hits while striking out 9 through 7⅔ innings last night when disaster struck… Hudson was covering first base when his ankle was stepped on by the Mets’ Erick Young Jr. causing him to collapse in pain and had to be carted off on a stretcher by medical personnel… X-rays later revealed he has a fractured ankle and will most likely have to have season-ending surgery… The Braves collected 8 hits three of which were homeruns in the win… Evan Gattis had a solo homer for the Braves, Andrelton Simmons has a 2-run homer and Dan Uggla a 3-run homer… The Braves and Mets will conclude their series in NY today with the first-pitch scheduled for 12:10 pm.
- The Drive were off last night and start a road trip with the first stop tonight being in Lakewood, NJ where they will take on the BlueClaws.
NASCAR: The Sprint Cup gang had the weekend off last weekend.
- Nationwide Results… Joey Logano decided not to take the weekend off and instead race in the Nationwide race up at the Chicagoland Speedway and he was glad he did as he won the race… Sam Hornish Jr., Austin Dillon, Elliott Sadler and Brian Vickers rounded out the top 5
- Nationwide Points… Now as a result of last Sunday’s race, there were some changes in the driver point standings…. Sam Hornish Jr. moved up 1 spot to first while Regan Smith dropped a spot to 2nd… Austin Dillon remains in 3rd but Elliott Sadler moves up a spot to 4th and Justin Allgaier dropping a spot to 5th.
This & That:
- Louie Webb… On a somber note, long time CHS fan and father of WPCC broadcaster Jimmy Webb Mr. Louie Webb passed away yesterday… Clinton fans remember seeing him take up tickets at CHS games.. Visitation will be between 6-8 pm tonight at Gray Funeral Home with funeral services scheduled for tomorrow at 11:00 am at Davidson Street Baptist Church… Our prayers are with the family.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 36 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Karate Camp… Master Johnny Kelly will be conducting a karate camp for the Clinton YMCA for youth 8 and up on different times August 12 – 15… More information about the camp such as times and cost can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday August 9th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Pee-Wee and Cooking Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding pee-wee and cooking camps July 30th to August 1st… The pee-wee camp is for youth ages 3-6 and the cooking camp will be for youth 9-16… The deadline to register for these camps is July 28th … For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621.
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Tennis Camp…. Laurens City PRD will be having a tennis camp for youth ages 5-18 August 5th – 8th from 1 – 4 pm… Former College and Pro Player will be the instructor… For more information, see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Youth Cheerleading… Registration is now open until July 31st for youth cheerleading… It is open to girls ages 5-12… You can register at the Little River Park Office during normal business hours… For more information; see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.