Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 7-31-13
- Braves 11 – Rockies 3… The Braves picked up their 10th win in the last 11 games as they defeated the Colorado Rockies 11-3 at Turner Field last night… The Braves pounded out 14 hits with every starter except pitcher Alex Wood getting a hit… The Rockies led 3-2 going into the bottom of the 4th inning when the Braves took the lead putting 6 runs on the board and then added 3 more in the 7th while holding the Rockies scoreless the rest of the way… Freddie Freeman had a solo homer in the 1st inning and then added a 3-run shot in the 7th inning… Brian McCann also had a 3-run homer in the decisive 4th inning… By the way, Alex Wood picked up his career victory to go along with his 2 saves from the bullpen… same two teams go at it in Atlanta tonight at 7:10.
- Drive 5 – Grasshoppers 1… The Drive continued their series in Greensboro, NC with the Grasshoppers and the Drive made it 2 in a row over the Hoppers as they took a 5-1 win… Greenville got 2 runs in the 1st inning and 3 in the 2nd then held the Hoppers to a single run in the 8th inning… Two homeruns by the Drive were the big blows… The Drive will finish their series with the Grasshoppers in NC today with a 4:00 pm game.
NASCAR: Looking at results from last weekend at the Indianapolis Speedway…
- Sprint Cup…. Pole winner Ryan Newman picked up his first win at the Brickyard last Sunday… This win which was the 17th of his career but first since April 2012 could be a big one for the Indiana native because at the end of the season he will be unemployed …. Three weeks ago the Stuart-Haas Racing Team announced that Kevin Harvick will be replacing him…. Jimmie Johnson, Kasey Kahne, Tony Stewart and Matt Kenseth rounded out the top 5.
- Sprint Cup Standings… There was no change in the top 5 drivers in the Sprint Cup standings… Jimmie Johnson is 1st followed by Clint Bowyer, Carl Edwards, Kevin Harvick and Dale Earnhardt Jr… Occupying the 6-10 spots are Matt Kenseth, Kyle Busch, Greg Biffle, Kasey Kahne and Jeff Gordon… Tony Stewart and Martin Truex Jr. are on the bubble in the next two spots.
- Nationwide… On Saturday, pole sitter Kyle Busch led 92 of 100 laps but it was close at the end as he edged out Brian Scott just over 2 seconds… Joey Logano, Brian Vickers and Kevin Harvick rounded the top 5.
- Nationwide Standings…. Austin Dillon moved up two spots to claim the top spot… Regan Smith held on to the 2nd spot, Elliot Sadler moves up one spot to 3rd, Sam Hornish Jr. fell from 1st to 4th and Brian Vickers rounds out the top 5.
- Panthers: No practice scheduled for today
- An NFL Player Lost $2 Million Because He Didn’t Realize He Had To Go To Offseason Practices… Did you hear about San Francisco 49er corner back Tarell Brown who had his 2013 salary cut by $2 million after he failed to participate in the team’s voluntary offseason program… That was 68% of his potential salary for the upcoming season… How did this happen you ask? Seems his agent agreed to a clause in his contract that would raise his salary by that amount if he participated in mini camps and workouts throughout the summer… Brown said he was unaware of the clause and his agent did not remind him… He fired his agent… Moral of story, read the fine print yourself and for the agent, you would have made more if you had remembered to tell him.
This & That:
- CHS Fall Sports Parent Meeting: This Thursday (Aug 1st) there will be a meeting for the parents of students who will playing any of the fall sports… This includes cross country, girls tennis, volleyball and all levels of football…. Not only will you get to meet the coaches but topics like student leadership, athletic expectations and the NCAA Eligibility Center will be discussed… All parents of fall athletes are highly encouraged to attend this meeting which will be in the CHS Auditorium and start at 6:00 pm… Please make plans to be there!
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 30 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Karate Camp… Master Johnny Kelly will be conducting a karate camp for the Clinton YMCA for youth 8 and up on different times August 12 – 15… More information about the camp such as times and cost can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday August 9th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Tennis Camp…. Laurens City PRD will be having a tennis camp for youth ages 5-18 August 5th – 8th from 1 – 4 pm… Former College and Pro Player will be the instructor… For more information, see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Youth Cheerleading… Registration is now open until July 31st for youth cheerleading… It is open to girls ages 5-12… You can register at the Little River Park Office during normal business hours… For more information; see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.