Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-2-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… If you would like to get your son or daughter in Coach Gregg Nibert’s 24th Annual Camp of Champions you had better hurry as the camp is next week Monday – Friday… It is open to youth 5-10 and you can register right up to 8:30 Monday morning… Call 833-8245 for more information.
- Braves 11 – Rockies 2… The Braves completed the 4-game sweep of the Colorado Rockies in Atlanta last night with another one-side win as they defeated the Rockies 11-2… This also marked the first time in 13 years that the Braves have swept a home stand of 7 games or more as they swept the Cardinals earlier in the home stand… The Braves again got good starting pitching as Julio Teheran went 5 innings giving up 1 run on 5 hits while striking out 11 and walking 2… The Braves got 14 hits off 4 Rocky pitchers and 3 of those hits were homeruns… Jason Heyward had a 2-run homer in the 4th inning (his 10th of the season) while Justin Upton had a 2-run homer in the 1st inning and a 3-run shot in the 8th inning giving him a total 18 on the season… Chris Johnson picked up 3 more hits last night raising his batting average to a National League leading .346… The Braves now start a week-long road trip with the first stop being in Philadelphia for a weekend series with the Phillies.
- Gnats 4 – Drive 3… The Greenville Drive came home last night and started a 4-game series with the Savannah Sand Gnats… The game was tied 3-3 going into the 9th inning when the Gnats scored a single run then held the Drive in the bottom of the inning to take a 4-3 win over the Drive…. Same 2 teams will play at 7:05 each night this weekend except for Sunday when they will play at 4:05.
- Panthers: The Panthers will practice this morning at 9:15 up at Gibbs Stadium… Tomorrow at 3:30 they will have a Fan Fest at the Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte with the activities starting at 3:30 pm… They will not practice on Sunday
NASCAR: The schedule for this weekend is:
- Nationwide: Racing will be at the Iowa Speedway tomorrow with race scheduled to start at 8:00 pm and will be on ESPN2.
- Sprint Cup: Racing will be Sunday at the Pocono Speedway and is scheduled to start at 1:00 pm… ESPN is scheduled to carry this race.
Are You ready For Some Football?
- Practice Starts: Well it’s here; the start of football practice for all the local high school teams and also for Carolina and Clemson is today… Got to believe our old friend Big Gene is smiling right about now.
- USA Today Preseason Coaches’ Poll: Well one of the first major preseason polls is out and it is the USA Today Coaches’ Poll… Not a lot of surprise that Alabama is picked as the #1 team… The rest of the top 5 are Ohio State, Oregon, Stanford and Georgia… Texas A&M comes in 6th , South Carolina 7th, Clemson 8th and then Louisville and Florida round out the top 10… Sounds like it could shape up to be a very interesting year.
This & That:
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 28 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Karate Camp… Master Johnny Kelly will be conducting a karate camp for the Clinton YMCA for youth 8 and up on different times August 12 – 15… More information about the camp such as times and cost can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday August 9th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Fall Baseball… Registration is now open through August 5th for Fall Baseball at the Laurens YMCA… Registration fee is $50 and there will be a parent / coaches meeting on the August 9th… For more information call the Y at 984-2626.
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information.
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Tennis Camp…. Laurens City PRD will be having a tennis camp for youth ages 5-18 August 5th – 8th from 1 – 4 pm… Former College and Pro Player will be the instructor… For more information, see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
- Youth Cheerleading… Registration is now open until July 31st for youth cheerleading… It is open to girls ages 5-12… You can register at the Little River Park Office during normal business hours… For more information; see the City of Laurens Summer Camp and Fall Sports posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.