Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-5-13
Braves: The Braves played in Philadelphia against the Phillies over the weekend:
- Friday: Braves 6 – Phillies 4… The Braves extended their winning streak to 8 games on Friday night as they took a 6-4 over the Phillies… The Braves used a 5-run fifth inning to propel them to the win… Brian McCann and Chris Johnson had back-to back homers in that inning… McCann, Johnson and Jason Heyward had 2 hits each for the Braves.
- Saturday: Braves 5 – Phillies 4 (12)… The Braves winning streak was extended to 9 on Saturday afternoon but the Braves had to go 12 innings to do it as they took a 5-4 win over the Phillies… With one out and the bases loaded in the 12th, Dan Uggla grounded to shortstop where they got the out at 2nd but Uggla’s hustle beat out the throw to first thus avoiding the double play and allowing Justin Upton to score what would be the winning run… Justin Upton also had a solo homer in the game.
- Sunday: Braves 4 – Phillies 1… The Braves took the brooms out of the equipment bag as they swept the Phillies last night winning by a score of 4-1 to make it 10 wins in a row… Justin Upton and Chris Johnson both went 2-4 to lead the Braves hitting… Johnson had 2 RBI while Upton and Jason Heyward each drove in a run… Alex Wood picked up his 2nd win going 6 innings allowing the single run on 2 hits while striking out 3 and walking 1… Craig Kimbrel picked up his 34th save… The Braves remain on the road starting a 3-game series with the Washington Nationals tonight at 7:05… The Braves lead the NL East and the Nationals are in 2nd place 12.5 games behind the Braves.
Greenville Drive: The Drive continued their series with the Savannah Sand Gnats at Flour Field over the weekend at Flour Field.
- Friday: Gnats 9 – Drive 4… The Drive had a 3-1 lead going into the 5th inning last Friday night at Flour Field but Savannah scored 6 runs in the top of the 5th inning as they went on to a 9-4 win over the Drive.
- Saturday: Gnats 6 – Drive 3… Then on Saturday night the Drive had a 3-1 lead going into the 8th inning when Savannah scored a run to tie the game then put 3 on the board in the top of the 9th via a 3-run homer to go on to a 6-3 win over the Drive… The loss drops the Drives record to 20-20 after the SAL all-star break.
- Sunday: Drive 8 – Gnats 6… The drive trailed 6-3 going into the bottom of the 8th inning last night when they put 5 runs on the board in the 8th and went on to take an 8-6 win… The Drive’s Kendrick Perkins had a 3 run homer in the 8th and that was followed by a solo shot by Jayson Hernandez… The win allowed the Drive to avoid the sweep by the Sand Gnats and broke a 4 game losing streak… The Drive will start a 3 game series with the Kannapolis Intimidators tonight at Flour Field.
- Cowboys 24 – Dolphins 20 … Last night the first preseason NFL football game was held in Canton, Ohio as part of the annual Hall of Fame ceremonies… In that game, the Cowboys took an early lead as they jumped out to a 17-3 at the half and then held on to take a 24-20 win over the Miami Dolphins….Former Gamecock DeVonte Holloman had a 75 yard pick-6 in the game
- Panthers… The Panthers practiced in Charlotte on Saturday as part of their annual fan fest and were off yesterday… They resume practice this afternoon up in Spartanburg at 3:00 pm.
- SCGA Amateur Championship… Three members of the University of South Carolina’s men’s golf team finished in the top 10 of the South Carolina Golf Association’s 82nd Amateur Championship this weekend at The Members Club at Woodcreek… Will Murphy finished 2 strokes in back of the leader tied for second, Will Starke tied for seventh and LDHS alum Caleb Sturgeon tied for 10th… For more information on this, click on the following link: Three Gamecock Golfers Finish in Top 10 at SCGA Amateur Championship
This & That:
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 25 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Karate Camp… Master Johnny Kelly will be conducting a karate camp for the Clinton YMCA for youth 8 and up on different times August 12 – 15… More information about the camp such as times and cost can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday August 9th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Flag Football & Cheerleading… Registration is now open at the Clinton YMCA for flag football and cheerleading… Football is open to youth from 4 to 12 divided into age appropriate groupings… Cheerleading is open to youth in grades K-6… The registration deadline for both is August 22nd … For complete details click on the following link: Clinton YMCA Flag Football & Cheerleading Information
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Department is now registering youth from ages 6-12 for fall baseball… There will be teams in Coach Pitch, Player Pitch and Advanced League divisions… The deadline for registration is August 24th and the cost is $25… Skill evaluation will be Monday August 26th and the season will start September 9th… Registration is done at the Parks and Recreation office at the Little River Park during normal business hours.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.