Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-6-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The Blue Hose football team opened practice last Saturday in preparation for their historic 100th campaign in the program’s history… Saturday they also welcomed former head coach Tommy Spangler back as the new defensive coordinator.. Spangler was PC’s head coach from 2001 – 2006 and PC was 42-24 during his tenure… He has been the defensive coordinator for Louisiana Tech since his departure from PC… Now that the Blue Hose are starting preparation on the field for this 100th season of football are you ready?… If you have not ordered your season tickets yet, click on the following link for information on ordering them: 2013 PC Season Football Ticket Information
- Braves 3 – Nationals 2… The Braves continued their road trip last in Washington DC to start a 3-game series with the nationals who are in 2nd place in the NL East behind the Braves… After the last out, the nationals were even further behind the Braves as the Braves extended their winning streak to 11 games taking a 3-2 win over the Nationals… The game was tied 2-2 going into the top of the 8th inning when Justin Upton collected his third hit of the night a solo homer to score what would prove to be the winning run… Freddie Freeman also had 3 of the Braves 9 hits and drove in 2 runs… Game 2 with Nats is tonight at 7:05
- Intimidators 3 – Drive 0…. The Kannapolis Intimidators started a 3-game series with the Drive up Flour Field last night and they started the series with a 3-0 win over the Drive… The Drive had 7 hits and had runners as far as 2nd base on 3 different occasions but could not get the key hit to bring them in… The series continues tonight at Flour Field at 7:05.
- Major League Baseball suspended 13 players it found to have been involved with the South Florida anti-aging clinic Biogenesis… Alex Rodriguez was suspended through the end of the 2014 season and the 12 others for 50 games.. Three All-Star players including Nelson Cruz of the Texas Rangers, Everth Cabrera of the San Diego Padres and Jhonny Peralta of the Detroit Tigers were among the 12 suspended for 50 games…. Rodriguez is the only player appealing his suspension and did play for the Yankees last night…My question, why did they play him… Answer $$$$$… They fear a lawsuit if they did not… Click on the following link for a more a posting listing all those players suspended: 13 Players Suspended by MLB – ESPN
- Raider Baseball Players Get Invite… Three current Raider baseball players will participate in the 6th annual Palmetto Games at USC this coming weekend. Rising seniors Cody Smiley and Tanner Adair along with rising Sophomore Thomas Jones were selected to play in the invite-only event sponsored by The Diamond Prospects. The top 100 baseball prospects in the state of SC are chosen based on recommendations of college coaches and area pro scouts. Smiley and Jones will play for the NW squad and will be coached by Laurens head coach Dale Nelson. Adair will play for the SE squad. Players will participate in a pro style workout on Saturday followed by 9 inning games on Saturday and Sunday. The games are heavily attended by colleges and professional scouts.
This & That:
- Preseason Football Scrimmage Schedules… Click on the following link to see the pre-season football scrimmage schedule for Clinton High, Laurens academy and Laurens High School: 2013 County High School Football Scrimmage Schedule…. Today: None scheduled.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 24 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Karate Camp… Master Johnny Kelly will be conducting a karate camp for the Clinton YMCA for youth 8 and up on different times August 12 – 15… More information about the camp such as times and cost can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday August 9th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Flag Football & Cheerleading… Registration is now open at the Clinton YMCA for flag football and cheerleading… Football is open to youth from 4 to 12 divided into age appropriate groupings… Cheerleading is open to youth in grades K-6… The registration deadline for both is August 22nd … For complete details click on the following link: Clinton YMCA Flag Football & Cheerleading Information
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Department is now registering youth from ages 6-12 for fall baseball… There will be teams in Coach Pitch, Player Pitch and Advanced League divisions… The deadline for registration is August 24th and the cost is $25… Skill evaluation will be Monday August 26th and the season will start September 9th… Registration is done at the Parks and Recreation office at the Little River Park during normal business hours.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.