Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-7-13
- Braves 2 – Nationals 1… The Braves increased their lead in the NL East to 14.5 games over the Nationals as they took a 2-1 win in Washington last night… Evan Gattis had a two-run single in the in the 5th inning that gave the Braves the lead after Bryce Harper had a solo in the 3rd inning to put the Nationals on top… The Braves got 6 innings out of starter Julio Teheran who picked up the win… Craig Kimbrel picked up his 35th save of the season… The Braves will try to increase their winning streak to 13 games as they finish the series and road trip in Washington tonight.
- Intimidators 5 – Drive 2… The Kannapolis Intimidators made it 2 in-a-row last night as they defeated the Drive 5-2 at Flour Filed… The game was tied 1-1 going into the top of the 7th inning when Kannapolis struck for 4 runs and then shut down the Drive the rest of the way… In the decisive 7th inning, Drive pitching gave up 4 hits two of which were home runs…. The Drive finish the current home stand tonight as they take on Kannapolis trying to avoid the sweep at 7:05.
NASCAR: Looking back at last weekend’s results and standings:
- Nationwide Results… Brad Keselowski was the only driver to enter both the Nationwide race in Iowa and the sprint Cup Race at Pocono so he was a busy fellow last weekend but he made the most of it as he won the US Cellular 250 last Saturday night…. He has won 3 Nationwide Series races this year but has failed to pick up a checkered flag in the Sprint Cup Series…. Sam Hornish Jr., Brian Vickers, Austin Dillon and Kyle Larson rounded out the top 5.
- Nationwide Standings… Austin Dillon and Regan Smith continue to hold down the #1 and #2 spots in the Nationwide standings… Sam Hornish Jr. moved up a spot to 3rd while Elliott Sadler dropped a spot to 4th… Brian Vickers continues to hold the 5th place.
- Sprint Cup Results… With two laps to go, Kasey Kahne passed birthday boy and teammate Jeff Gordon to take the win at Pocono last Sunday… Kurt Busch, Ryan Newman and Dale Earnhart Jr. were the next three to cross the finish line.
- Sprint Cup Standings… No change from last week in the top 5 drivers in the Sprint Cup standings… Jimmie Johnson, Clint Bowyer, Carl Edwards, Kevin Harvick and Dale Earnhart Jr. make up the top five in that order… spots 6-10 are occupied by Kyle Busch, Matt Kenseth, Kasey Kahne, Jeff Gordon and Greg Biffle.
- Tony Stewart Breaks Leg… On Monday night at Southern Iowa Speedway, Tony Stewart broke 2 bones in his right leg that required surgery and will require even more surgery… It is too early to tell if he will make it back this season… Max Papis was announced yesterday as Stewart’s replacement in the No. 14 car at Watkins Glenn this weekend.
- Panthers: The Carolina Panthers will be having a practice session this morning at 9:15… Their first pre-season contest will be this Friday night in Charlotte against the Chicago Bears… Looks like after a few “skirmishes” at practice yesterday between the players, the chance to hit someone else can’t come quick enough.
This & That:
- Preseason Football Scrimmage Schedules… Click on the following link to see the pre-season football scrimmage schedule for Clinton High, Laurens academy and Laurens High School: 2013 County High School Football Scrimmage Schedule…. Today: None scheduled.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 23 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Karate Camp… Master Johnny Kelly will be conducting a karate camp for the Clinton YMCA for youth 8 and up on different times August 12 – 15… More information about the camp such as times and cost can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday August 9th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Flag Football & Cheerleading… Registration is now open at the Clinton YMCA for flag football and cheerleading… Football is open to youth from 4 to 12 divided into age appropriate groupings… Cheerleading is open to youth in grades K-6… The registration deadline for both is August 22nd … For complete details click on the following link: Clinton YMCA Flag Football & Cheerleading Information
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Department is now registering youth from ages 6-12 for fall baseball… There will be teams in Coach Pitch, Player Pitch and Advanced League divisions… The deadline for registration is August 24th and the cost is $25… Skill evaluation will be Monday August 26th and the season will start September 9th… Registration is done at the Parks and Recreation office at the Little River Park during normal business hours.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.