Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-8-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Thursday and it’s brought to you by the Laurens County Speedway where they ask me to remind you that racing starts each Saturday night at 8:00 with gates opening at 6:00… While we are talking about the LCS, let’s review results from each division’s main event last Saturday night:
- Limited… The main event was really a two driver race as Billy Rushton and Deano Long pulled away from the pack with Ruston taking the win at the end… David Todd took third.
- Hobby… Even though he started in row 2, Dan Lawson quickly moved to the front with the aid of a crash and went on to take the win pulling away… Chris Patterson finished 2nd and Tim Tollison 3rd.
- Super Stock 4… Brian Nelson slid by Dusty Eaves about halfway through the main event and than held on to take the win with Eaves coming in 2nd… Tim Collins was a very close 3rd.
- Crates… Dale Timms took the lead early and went on to take the checkered flag… The next two across the finish line were Nick Dietz and Greg Pillgrim.
- Front Wheel Drive… Shane Roberts took the win here… It looked like Megan Templeton would challenge Roberts for the win but she blew a tire on the last lap and had to settle for 3rd as Bill Faulks got by her to claim 2nd.
- Remember, the LCS is where they do dirt right!!
- Braves 6 – Nationals 3… The Braves unpacked the brooms from the equipment bag and used them last night in Washington as they took a 6-3 win over the Nationals giving them a 13 game winning streak and increasing their lead to 15.5 games over the Nationals in the NL East… With the game tied 2-2 going into the 7th inning, Justin Upton stroked his 21st homerun of the season to put the Braves up 3-2 but the Nationals tied it in the bottom of the 7th… The Braves then responded in the top of the 8th inning when they put 3 on the board to make the final 6-3… In the 8th, Justin Upton doubled driving in 2 of the 3 Brave runs in the inning…. The Braves pounded out 15 hits with Jason Heyward, Justin Upton, Freddie Freeman, Chris Johnson and BJ Upton all having multiple hit in the game… The Braves have the night off and will return to Atlanta tomorrow night to start a home stand with the Florida Marlins being the first team in for a weekend series.
- Cancelled… The Greenville Drive had their game last night at Flour Field cancelled due to rain… The Drive start a 7-game road trip tonight and their first stop will be in Ashville for a 4 game series with the Tourist.
- Panthers… The Panthers will practice at 9:15 this morning up at Gibb’s stadium in Spartanburg… This will be their last practice there until Sunday evening at 6:00 pm…. Remember they host the Bears tomorrow night at in Charlotte at 8:00 pm and then have Saturday off.
Local Sports Notes: A couple of ‘heads up” for you.
- The CHS Red Devil varsity football team will have a game scrimmage at Greenwood High School tomorrow at 6:30… By the way, see the note below for a link to the pre-season scrimmage schedule fo the county teams.
- Chanel 7 Countdown to Kick-Off… A lot of you high school football fans out there are aware the Chanel 7 out of Spartanburg is doing their annual Countdown to Kick-Off series highlighting different high schools each night… I want to take this opportunity to mention that tomorrow they are scheduled to spotlight both Laurens and Clinton High School… Laurens will be highlighted during the 6:00 pm newscast and Clinton will be highlighted during the 11:00 pm newscast… Thought I’d go ahead and mention it a day early so you can set your recorders to record those if you are not able to catch it as it airs.
This & That:
- Preseason Football Scrimmage Schedules… Click on the following link to see the pre-season football scrimmage schedule for Clinton High, Laurens academy and Laurens High School: 2013 County High School Football Scrimmage Schedule…. Today: None scheduled.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 25 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Karate Camp… Master Johnny Kelly will be conducting a karate camp for the Clinton YMCA for youth 8 and up on different times August 12 – 15… More information about the camp such as times and cost can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday August 9th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Flag Football & Cheerleading… Registration is now open at the Clinton YMCA for flag football and cheerleading… Football is open to youth from 4 to 12 divided into age appropriate groupings… Cheerleading is open to youth in grades K-6… The registration deadline for both is August 22nd … For complete details click on the following link: Clinton YMCA Flag Football & Cheerleading Information
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Department is now registering youth from ages 6-12 for fall baseball… There will be teams in Coach Pitch, Player Pitch and Advanced League divisions… The deadline for registration is August 24th and the cost is $25… Skill evaluation will be Monday August 26th and the season will start September 9th… Registration is done at the Parks and Recreation office at the Little River Park during normal business hours.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.