Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-9-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Well football season will be here before you know it and PC will open up on the road at Wake Forest on Thursday night, August 29th…. That is only 19 days away… Don’t you think it is time to think about getting your season tickets for Blue Hose football… Blue reserved chair-back seats season tickets are only $75 each while bench reserved seats are $54 each… You can call the ticket office at 864-833-8240 or click on the following to link to the PC webpage where you will find more information: 2013 PC Season Football Ticket Information
- Pre-season Scrimmages Start… Well the high school football pre-season scrimmages start in earnest tonight as the Clinton Red Devils will travel to Greenwood High for a scrimmage that starts at 6:30… The tomorrow Laurens will host several other teams in a round-robin scrimmage that starts at 10:00 am… Great chance for you fans to go out and take a look at Clinton and Laurens as they finally get a chance to hit someone else other than themselves… By the way, see the section below for a complete listing of all pre-season scrimmages that I know about.
- Chanel 7 Countdown to Kick-Off… A lot of you high school football fans out there are aware the Chanel 7 out of Spartanburg is doing their annual Countdown to Kick-Off series highlighting different high schools each night… I want to take this opportunity to remind you that tonight they are scheduled to spotlight both Laurens and Clinton High School… Laurens will be highlighted during the 6:00 pm newscast and Clinton will be highlighted during the 11:00 pm newscast… Set your recorders if can’t watch it live.
- The Braves took the night off last night and return to Turner Field tonight to start a 9-game home stand… The first team in will be the Miami Marlins for a weekend series…. By the way, the Braves are now up 15.5 games over the nationals in the NL East
- Tourist 5 – Drive 1… The Drive started a road trip up in Ashville last night and the Tourist took a 5-1 win… The Drive outhit the Tourist 9-7 but 2 of the Tourist hits were homeruns… After a good start to the 2nd half of the season, the Drive have now lost 7 of the last 8 games.
- Schedule for the Weekend: The NASCAR schedule shows both the Nationwide and Sprint Cup Series visiting Watkins Glen this weekend… The Nationwide race will be tomorrow at 2:00 and can be seen on ABC… The Sprint Cup race will be on Sunday at 1:00 and ESPN is scheduled to carry it.
- Panthers: The Panthers have their first pre-season game tonight in Charlotte as they take on the Chicago Bears in a contest that can be seen on WSPA Channel 7 starting at 8:00… The Panthers will then have tomorrow off and return to Spartanburg for a 6:00 pm practice on Sunday… Counting the practice on Sunday, they only have 3 practices left in Spartanburg before they break camp and finish out pre-season practice in Charlotte.
- Bengals 34 – Falcons 10… The Atlanta Falcons hosted the Cincinnati Bengals down in the Georgia Dome last night and it appears they were too good a host as the Bengals took a 34-10 win…. Bottom line, the Bengals won in all key statistical categories.
This & That:
- Preseason Football Scrimmage Schedules… Click on the following link to see the pre-season football scrimmage schedule for Clinton High, Laurens academy and Laurens High School: 2013 County High School Football Scrimmage Schedule…. Today: None scheduled.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 20 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Karate Camp… Master Johnny Kelly will be conducting a karate camp for the Clinton YMCA for youth 8 and up on different times August 12 – 15… More information about the camp such as times and cost can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Friday August 9th at 5:00 pm for both of these camps so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555.
- Flag Football & Cheerleading… Registration is now open at the Clinton YMCA for flag football and cheerleading… Football is open to youth from 4 to 12 divided into age appropriate groupings… Cheerleading is open to youth in grades K-6… The registration deadline for both is August 22nd … For complete details click on the following link: Clinton YMCA Flag Football & Cheerleading Information
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Department is now registering youth from ages 6-12 for fall baseball… There will be teams in Coach Pitch, Player Pitch and Advanced League divisions… The deadline for registration is August 24th and the cost is $25… Skill evaluation will be Monday August 26th and the season will start September 9th… Registration is done at the Parks and Recreation office at the Little River Park during normal business hours…
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.