Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-1-13
- Pre-Season Scrimmages: Both Clinton and Laurens started their pre-season scrimmage schedule over the weekend… Clinton traveled to Greenwood High in a multi-team scrimmage and by the reports I heard, looked very much like what you would expect this time of the pre-season…. Laurens had a multi team scrimmage on Saturday at LDHS… I have a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com that includes a short video interview done with Coach Lawson afterward… You can also click on this link: Interview with Coach Lawson…. See link nearer to end of today’s sport report for scrimmage schedules.
- LDHS Athletic Booster Club Meeting…. The LDHS Athletic Booster Club will meet tonight at 7:00 pm at the Joe R. Adair Outdoor Education Center… Anyone is welcome and encouraged to attend to help plan for the upcoming school year… Funds raised by the Booster Club go to support all Raider Athletic Teams.
Braves: The Braves hosted the Miami Marlins over the weekend in Atlanta and they brought a 13-game winning streak into the contest on Friday night.
- Friday: Braves 5 – Marlins 0… On Friday, the Braves wasted no time as they scored 4 runs in the first inning and went on to take a 5-0 win over the Marlins… Justin Upton had a solo homer in the first and three batters later Chris Johnson had a 3-run shot… The Braves finished their scoring in the third when Brian McCann had a solo shot… Brandon Beachy picked up the win going 8 innings allowing just 3 hits while striking out 6 and walking 1 as the Braves extended their winning streak to 14 games.
- Saturday: Marlins 1 – Braves 0… Someone once wrote all good things must come to an end and that is what happened to the Braves winning streak as the Marlins took a 1-0 win over the Bravos on Saturday… Both teams had only 3 hits each as both pitching staffs held the other team’s offense pretty much in check… The Marlins scored the lone run in the top of the 9th inning when the leadoff batter tripled and then scored on a wild pitch.
- Sunday: Braves 9 – Marlins 4… On Sunday both teams offense got back on track but the Braves prevailed taking a 9-4 win over the Marlins… The game was tied 4-4 going into the bottom of the 7th inning when the Braves struck for 4 runs and then added another run in the 8th to take the win…. Jason Heyward had 4 of the Braves 12 hits going 4-5 on the afternoon and Freddie Freeman had 2 hits one of which was a 3-run homer…. The Braves remain at home as they start a 3 game series with the Philadelphia Phillies tonight at The Ted.
Greenville Drive: The Drive completed their 4-game series with the Ashville Tourist in Ashville over the weekend after having dropped the first game back on Thursday night…
- Friday: Drive 14 – Tourist 1… The Drive rebounded in a big way Friday night as they took a 14-1 win over the Tourist… In one of their biggest offensive displays of the year, they pounded out 18 hits only 2 of which were homers.
- Saturday: Drive 7 – Tourist 3… The two teams played a much closer game on Saturday but the Drive made it 2 in-a-row as the defeated the Tourist 7-3 collecting only 9 hits in the game , one of which was a homer.
- Sunday: Tourist 10 – Drive 6… Yesterday the Tourist earned a split of the 4-game series as they took a 10-6 win over the Drive…. The Drive only trailed 3-5 going into the bottom of the 8th inning when things fell apart as the Tourist scored 5 runs in the inning… The Drive were able to muster 3 runs in the top of the 9th inning but it was too little too late… The Drive have the night off and will travel down to Augusta to for a 3-game series with the Green Jackets.
This & That:
- The Clinton High Class of 1978 will be having their 35th class reunion at the Game Scrimmage on Friday August 16th. Plans are to meet at the game at 7:00 and then go out to eat together afterwards.
- Preseason Football Scrimmage Schedules… Click on the following link to see the pre-season football scrimmage schedule for Clinton High, Laurens Academy and Laurens High School: 2013 County High School Football Scrimmage Schedule…. Today: None scheduled.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 18 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Flag Football & Cheerleading… Registration is now open at the Clinton YMCA for flag football and cheerleading… Football is open to youth from 4 to 12 divided into age appropriate groupings… Cheerleading is open to youth in grades K-6… The registration deadline for both is August 22nd … For complete details click on the following link: Clinton YMCA Flag Football & Cheerleading Information
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Department is now registering youth from ages 6-12 for fall baseball… There will be teams in Coach Pitch, Player Pitch and Advanced League divisions… The deadline for registration is August 24th and the cost is $25… Skill evaluation will be Monday August 26th and the season will start September 9th… Registration is done at the Parks and Recreation office at the Little River Park during normal business hours…
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.