Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-14-13
- The CHS Red Devils hosted BHP in a scrimmage yesterday… Lots of hard licks out there wilt both teams playing well at times and not up to “full speed” at others… Click on the following link to see a short interview with Coach King after the scrimmage: Interview with Coach King after BHP Scrimmage
- Braves 3 – Phillies 1… Last night the Braves rebounded for Monday night’s loss to the Philadelphia Phillies by taking a 3-1 win in Atlanta… Braves starting pitcher Kris Medlen had a run scoring double in the 2nd inning to put the Braves u 1-0… Chris Johnson finished the Braves scoring with a 2-run homer in the 3rd inning… Medlen would need no more offensive help as he gave up the 1 run on 5 hits while striking out 5 and walking 1 in 7 innings of work… The Braves and Phillies will finish the current series at 7:05 tonight down at The Ted.
- Green Jackets 2 – Drive 0… After taking Monday night off, the Drive returned to action last night as they opened a 3-game series in Augusta with the Green Jackets… The two teams were tied 0-0 going into the bottom of the 7the inning when the Jackets scored a single run and then added another in the 8th inning to take a 2-0 win over the Drive… The Jackets had just 5 hits to the Drive’s 4 but managed to get the key hit when needed… Game 2 of the series is tonight in Augusta.
NASCAR: well let’s take a look back at the NASCAR results from last week up at Watkins Glen where the drivers showed they can turn right sometimes and a quick recap of the driver points standings..
- Nationwide Results… On Saturday, Brad Keselowski won his 4th straight Nationwide Series race that he started… He finished almost 1.5 seconds ahead of his Penske racing teammate Sam Hornish Jr… Brian Vickers, Regan Smith and Elliott Sadler rounded out the top 5..
- Nationwide Standings… There was no change in the Nationwide Driver point standings after Saturday’s race… Austin Dillon, Sam Hornish Jr., Regan Smith, Elliott Sadler and Brian Vickers make up the top 5 in that order with 5th place Vickers only 18 points behind the leader Dillon.
- Sprint Cup Results… On Sunday, Kyle Bush avoided the late race jinx that plagued him the last two times at Watkins Glen taking the win over Brad Keselowski by less than 0.5 seconds… Martin Truex Jr. crossed the finish line third followed by Carl Edwards 4th and Juan Pablo Montoya 5th.
- Sprint Cup standings… Jimmie Johnson continues to lead the pack in the sprint Cup Driver Standings with 808 points… Clint Bowyer, Carl Edwards, Kevin Harvick and Kyle Bush follow him in the next 4 spots with Bush being 115 points behind Johnson.
This & That:
- Broadcast Note… Both WLBG and WPCC will kick off their high school broadcast coverage of high school football this Friday night at the Clinton paid Scrimmage (Jamboree)…. WLBG will broadcast the half of varsity football between Laurens and Dorman which should start somewhere about 6:45… WPCC will broadcast the half of varsity action between Strom Thurman and Clinton about 8:00 pm… These time are very much subject to change based on length of contest before them.
- The Clinton High Class of 1978 will be having their 35th class reunion at the Game Scrimmage on Friday August 16th. Plans are to meet at the game at 7:00 and then go out to eat together afterwards.
- Preseason Football Scrimmage Schedules… Click on the following link to see the pre-season football scrimmage schedule for Clinton High, Laurens Academy and Laurens High School: 2013 County High School Football Scrimmage Schedule…. Today: None scheduled.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 16 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Flag Football & Cheerleading… Registration is now open at the Clinton YMCA for flag football and cheerleading… Football is open to youth from 4 to 12 divided into age appropriate groupings… Cheerleading is open to youth in grades K-6… The registration deadline for both is August 22nd … For complete details click on the following link: Clinton YMCA Flag Football & Cheerleading Information
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Department is now registering youth from ages 6-12 for fall baseball… There will be teams in Coach Pitch, Player Pitch and Advanced League divisions… The deadline for registration is August 24th and the cost is $25… Skill evaluation will be Monday August 26th and the season will start September 9th… Registration is done at the Parks and Recreation office at the Little River Park during normal business hours…
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.