Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-15-2013
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Thursday and it’s brought to you by brought to you by the Laurens Count Speedway… Let’s start off by looking at results from the LCS last Saturday night in each of the main events:
- Hobby… Tim Tollison won the main vent but he had to have help as either Mart Patterson or Dan Lawson led until the last lap when Lawson wrecked out leader Patterson thus by rule putting him (Lawson) back to that end of the lead lap allowing Tollison to take the win…. Clark Smith finished 2nd and Lawson 3rd.
- Limited… Billy Rushton won his third straight race in the division’s main event… Deano Long and Matt Dean were the next two across the finish line behind him.
- FWD… Megan Templeton picked up second win of the season but had to fight her way through the pack to do so… Roger Wright and Shane Roberts finished 2nd and 3rd respectively.
- SS4… Tim Collins took the victory in the SS4 but it was no easy victory as he had to fight off Brian Nelson who finished 2nd pressuring Collins most of the way… Dusty Eaves finished 3rd.
- Crates… Nick Deitz took the apparent but the reason I say apparent is that there was a challenge on the legality of one of his tires…. Still have not heard how that came out.
- Note: Now I want to remind you that gates open each Saturday night at 6:00 with racing starting at 8:00 at the LCS where they do dirt right!
- Braves 6 – Phillies 3… The Braves finished their 3-game series with the Phillies last night in Atlanta with a 6-3 win which means they took the series 2 games to 1… They had almost a 2 hour rain delay in Atlanta last night but once they started it did not take long for them to jump on top as Braves leadoff hitter Jason Heyward hit the 3rd pitch he saw over the wall for a solo homer in the bottom of the 1st inning… The Braves added another run in the 1st on a sacrifice fly by Chris Johnson scoring Justin Upton…. The Braves added 3 more in the 2nd inning with Chris Johnson getting driving in 2 on a single… Brandon Beachy picked up the win and Craig Kimbrel entered late getting his 38th save of the season…. The Braves have tonight off and will host the Washington Nationals in a weekend series starting tomorrow night.
- Green Jackets 14 – Drive 1… The Drive and the Augusta Green Jackets hooked up in game 2 of the current 3-game series down in Augusta last night and where I come form we use to have a description for this type of game but I think I’ll refrain from using it here as the Jackets took a 14-1 win over the Drive… The Jackets pounded out 15 hits to the Drives’ 3.
- Panthers… a quick reminder that the Carolina Panthers have their second preseason game tonight as they travel to Philadelphia to take on the Eagles in a 7:30 contest… I believe you will be able to see this on Channel 7 out of Spartanburg.
- Falcons… The Atlanta Falcons will also be in action tonight at 7:30 as they travel to Baltimore to take on the Ravens.
- Clinton & Laurens Travel to Woodruff Tonight… Well tonight both Clinton High and Laurens High will be traveling to Woodruff to participate in their Football Extravaganza… The Red Devils will take on Chesnee at 6:30 pm and the Raiders will face Chapman after that…. Make plans to gout and support your team in a live game-type half of football.
- Tomorrow Night… Clinton will be hosting a paid game scrimmage (formerly known as a Jamboree)… The schedule has the Laurens and Dorman JV teams competing in a half of football at 6:00… Following that the Laurens and Dorman varsity teams will square off in a half of football… Following that Strom Thurmond and Clinton JV and varsity teams will have similar halves of football… Both WLBG and WPCC will be broadcasting the varsity portion of their respective teams halves of football… For Laurens fans, be sure to carry your FM radios and tune in to the in-stadium transmitter at 95-7 on the dial… we have a new, more powerful transmitter so you should be able to hear the broadcast better than in the past.
This & That:
- The Clinton High Class of 1978 will be having their 35th class reunion at the Game Scrimmage on Friday August 16th. Plans are to meet at the game at 7:00 and then go out to eat together afterwards.
- Preseason Football Scrimmage Schedules… Click on the following link to see the pre-season football scrimmage schedule for Clinton High, Laurens Academy and Laurens High School: 2013 County High School Football Scrimmage Schedule…. Today: None scheduled.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 15 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Flag Football & Cheerleading… Registration is now open at the Clinton YMCA for flag football and cheerleading… Football is open to youth from 4 to 12 divided into age appropriate groupings… Cheerleading is open to youth in grades K-6… The registration deadline for both is August 22nd … For complete details click on the following link: Clinton YMCA Flag Football & Cheerleading Information
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Department is now registering youth from ages 6-12 for fall baseball… There will be teams in Coach Pitch, Player Pitch and Advanced League divisions… The deadline for registration is August 24th and the cost is $25… Skill evaluation will be Monday August 26th and the season will start September 9th… Registration is done at the Parks and Recreation office at the Little River Park during normal business hours.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.