Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-16-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Well it’s only 13 days until PC starts its football season on the road at Wake Forest on the 29th… That means time is getting very short for you to purchase season tickets for Blue Hose Football… It really is one of the better values around… A family of 4 can enjoy an afternoon of football, entertainment for the kids as well as food and drink for less than $50… Click on the following link for all you need to know about getting season tickets for Blue Hose Football: 2013 PC Season Football Ticket Information
Local Football: Both Clinton and Laurens traveled to Woodruff last night to participate game scrimmage half of football…
- Chesnee 27 – Clinton 14… In the first half of football, Clinton scored on their first two possessions but Chesnee kept them off the board the rest of the way in route to a 27-14 win over the Red Devils… In their opening possession, Clinton went 65 yards in 4 plays with Matthias Williams accounting for all the yards and the TD coming on a 45 yard run… The PAT failed and Clinton led 6-0.. Chesnee scored in 3 plays to go up 7-6… Clinton responded with a 6 play 35 yard drive where Landon Allison carried it the last 10 yards…. The 2 point conversion was good on a William run and Clinton led 14-7… The TD drive was set-up by a 55 yard kickoff return by Vee Thompson… After that, Clinton stopped itself with fumbles and miscues while Chesnee got the big play when needed.
- Laurens 20 – Chapman 6… In the second half of football, Laurens defeated Chapman 20-6… Laurens also scored on their opening possession going 59 yards in 6 plays all on the ground… Quin Suber carried it the last 21 yards for the TD and with the PAT Laurens led 7-0… On their second possession, Laurens went 79 yards in 10 plays using mainly second string players in skill positions… Grayson Bailes took in the final yard for the TD… The PAT failed so the score went to 13-0 Laurens… The Raider defense did not allow a first down in the entire first period of play… The Raiders closed out their scoring on a 4 yard run by Suber with the PAT kick good making it 20-0… Chapman did get on the board with 13 seconds left scoring on what amounted to mostly Laurens third-string defense… Click on the following link to see a short interview with Coach Lawson after the game: Coach Lawson Remarks After Chapman @ Woodruff Scrimmage.
Today’s Football & Broadcast Schedule:
- Both Laurens and Clinton will be back in action tonight in the paid game Scrimmage at CHS…
- Laurens and Dorman will start off at 6:00 pm in a half of JV action… After that finishes, the Laurens and Dorman and Dorman varsity teams will play a half of football… The varsity action can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG with Doug Holliday, King Dixon and Mike Hughes making up the broadcast crew… If you are coming, bring your FM radio and tune it to 95.7 to pick up the action on our new more powerful in-stadium transmitter.
- Clinton and Strom Thurmond JV teams will take the field when the Laurens Dorman action is over… After the JV teams finish, the red Devil and Rebel varsity teams will play a half of football. That action can be heard on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC with Buddy, Jimmy, BJ and Jason bringing you the action live from Wilder Stadium about 7:30…. You know the regular season stars 2 weeks from tonight.
- The Braves were off last night and will start a 3-game series with the Washington Nationals tonight in Atlanta… The Braves lead the Nationals by 14.5 games in the NL East and this is a good chance to pretty much take them out of contention as long as the Braves don’t suffer a major meltdown.
- Green Jackets 3 – Drive 2 (12)… The Greenville drive led the Augusta Green jackets 2-0 going into the bottom of the 9th inning down in Augusta last night but the Jackets scored 2 in the 9th inning to tie the game… The Green Jackets finally took a 3-2 win scoring the winning run in the 12 inning… The Drive return home tonight to start a 4-game series with the Lexington Legends.
- Eagles 14 – Panthers 9…. The Eagles held the Panthers to just 3 field goals while scoring two TDs as they took a 14-9 win over the Panthers in Philadelphia.
- Ravens 27 – Falcons 23… The Falcons led the Baltimore Ravens 23-7 going into the 4t quarter in Baltimore last night but the Ravens came from behind scoring 20 unanswered points to take a 27-23 win in the battle of the birds.
NASCAR: The schedule for this weekend is…
- Nationwide will race tomorrow at 2:30 at the Mid Ohio Race Track… You can catch it on ESPN.
- Sprint Cup will race on Sunday at the Michigan International Speedway… Tune in to ESPN at 1:00 to watch it.
This & That:
- The Clinton High Class of 1978 will be having their 35th class reunion at the Game Scrimmage on Friday August 16th. Plans are to meet at the game at 7:00 and then go out to eat together afterwards.
- Preseason Football Scrimmage Schedules… Click on the following link to see the pre-season football scrimmage schedule for Clinton High, Laurens Academy and Laurens High School: 2013 County High School Football Scrimmage Schedule…. Today: None scheduled.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 14 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Flag Football & Cheerleading… Registration is now open at the Clinton YMCA for flag football and cheerleading… Football is open to youth from 4 to 12 divided into age appropriate groupings… Cheerleading is open to youth in grades K-6… The registration deadline for both is August 22nd … For complete details click on the following link: Clinton YMCA Flag Football & Cheerleading Information
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Department is now registering youth from ages 6-12 for fall baseball… There will be teams in Coach Pitch, Player Pitch and Advanced League divisions… The deadline for registration is August 24th and the cost is $25… Skill evaluation will be Monday August 26th and the season will start September 9th… Registration is done at the Parks and Recreation office at the Little River Park during normal business hours…
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.