Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-19-13
- Bad weather forced the cancelation of the game scrimmages at Clinton last Friday night… Clinton will host Ninety Six tomorrow at 6:00 pm and Laurens will host Newberry in a paid game scrimmage on Wednesday night at 6:30… Admission will be $3.00 at the gate unless you have a high school league pass or have joined the Century Club already. … The Laurens Academy Crusaders will open their regular season this Friday night at 7:30 as they host Greenwood Christian.
Braves: The Braves hosted the Washington Nationals over the weekend in a 3-game series..
- Friday: Braves 3 – Nationals 2 (10)… Jayson Werth’s RBI single in the eighth inning pulled the Nationals tied the game 2-2 and forced extra innings, but Justin Upton then delivered a walk-off homer in the 10th as the Braves took a 3-2 win over the Nats…
- Saturday: Nationals 8 – Braves 7 (15)… In another extra inning game on Saturday that went over 5 hours, the Nationals took an 8-7 win in 15 innings…. Jason Heyward had two homeruns in the game; a solo homer in the first inning and a 2-run homer with 2 outs in the 9th inning to tie the game 7 all… Brian McCann and Freddie Freeman also homered in the game…. The Nationals Adam LaRoche had a solo homer in the 15th inning that proved to be the winning run… The game also featured the ejection of Nationals pitcher Jordan Schaffer for throwing at a Braves batter after a warning to both teams.
- Sunday: Braves 2 – Nationals 1… In the rubber game of the series yesterday, the Braves scored 2 runs in the first inning and then made them standup as they took a 2-1 win over the Nationals giving them 2 wins in the 3-game series… Freddie Freeman and Chris Johnson had RBI singles in the opening inning for the Braves… Braves starter Julio Teheran picked up the win and pitching around trouble in each of the first three innings where the Nations had multiple men on base in each inning…. The Braves now have a 15.5 game lead over the Nationals in the NL East and have won 19 of their last 22 games…. They will have the night off tonight before they start a road trip with the first stop being in New York to take on the Mets tomorrow night.
Greenville Drive: The Drive hosted the Lexington Legends this weekend at Flour Field…
- Friday: Greenville 2 – Lexington 1… On Friday, the Drive took a 2-1 win over the Legends…. The win came on the strength of 2 solo homers by Drive outfielder Kevin Heller who had one in the 2nd inning and then a walk-off game winner in the 9th inning.
- Saturday: The game was postponed due to the weather.
- Sunday: Legends 5 – Drive 0 and Drive 1 – Legends 0…. The Drive played two 7-inning games yesterday to make up for the one rained out on Saturday night… In the first game, the Legends took a 5-0 win over the Drive… The Legends had 2 more hits than the Drive and 2 of their 8 hits were homeruns… In the second game yesterday, the Drive took a 1-0 win over the Legends in what was a pitcher’s duel…. The two teams managed only 5 hits between them and a homer by the Drive’s Boss Moranaroa in the 6th inning was the game winner…. The Drive finish the current series tonight at Flour Field with the Legends.
This & That:
- Laurens High Century Club…. The Laurens Dist. 55 High School Athletic Club is now selling Century Club memberships… For only $150 you get a reserved parking spot at KC Hannah & 2 passes for all home regular season athletic events… This year there is also something new: Touchdown Tailgate Zone…. For $250 you get 2 reserved parking spaces next to tailgating spaces and 2 home regular season home passes… There are a very limited number of these spaces available and they are sold on a 1st come 1st serve basis……. For more information or to order, contact Jim Iacuone… Office: 681-3630, Cell 871-4395 or email him at email@example.com
- Booster Club Reminder… Also a friendly reminder that all Laurens Athletic Booster Club members who have obtained the Bi-Lo Laurens High Athletic Booster Plus Card need to have them re-scanned this season as soon as possible… Just present the card along with your Bi-Lo Bonus Card the next time you shop at Bi-Lo and Bi-Lo will donate 1% of your purchase to the Booster Club…. This is NOT added to you bill but is donated by Bi-Lo form the amount you already paid… Scan it now and it will be good until June 30th of next year… If you don’t have one, I encourage you to stop by the booster club area at the home games and get one… Every little bit helps all the sports at Laurens High.
- Preseason Football Scrimmage Schedules… Click on the following link to see the pre-season football scrimmage schedule for Clinton High, Laurens Academy and Laurens High School: 2013 County High School Football Scrimmage Schedule…. Today: None scheduled.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 11 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Flag Football & Cheerleading… Registration is now open at the Clinton YMCA for flag football and cheerleading… Football is open to youth from 4 to 12 divided into age appropriate groupings… Cheerleading is open to youth in grades K-6… The registration deadline for both is August 22nd … For complete details click on the following link: Clinton YMCA Flag Football & Cheerleading Information
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Department is now registering youth from ages 6-12 for fall baseball… There will be teams in Coach Pitch, Player Pitch and Advanced League divisions… The deadline for registration is August 24th and the cost is $25… Skill evaluation will be Monday August 26th and the season will start September 9th… Registration is done at the Parks and Recreation office at the Little River Park during normal business hours.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.