Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-20-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The Blue Hose football schedule this year includes 6 home games… The first is Sept. 7th as they host Brevard… The other home games are against Charlotte, VMI, Point University, Charleston Southern and Gardner-Webb…. Blue reserved chair-back seats season tickets are only $75 each while bench reserved seats are $54 each… You can call the ticket office at 864-833-8240 or click on the following to link to the PC webpage where you will find more information: 2013 PC Season Football Ticket Information.
- Clinton will host Ninety Six in a game type scrimmage tonight at 6:00 at Wilder Stadium.
- The Braves were off last night and will start a 2-game series in New York against the Mets tonight… The Braves’ 76-48 record is the best in MLB…. They hold a 15.5 game lead over the Washington Nationals and an 18.5 game lead over the Mets in the NL East.
- Legends 5 – Drive 1… The Lexington Legends and the Greenville Drive finished a 4-game series last night at Flour Field with the Legends taking a 5-1 win over the Drive thus earning a split of the series… The Drive continue their home stand tonight as they start a 3-game series with the Rome Braves at Flour Field.
NASCAR: Let’s take a look back at last weekend’s NASCAR results and briefly review the point standings…
- Nationwide Results… AJ Allmendinger had enough gas in his Ford Mustang to go a couple of extra laps as he took the road course victory at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course last Saturday afternoon in a green-white-checkered finish… To be honest, he led most of the race as his #22 car was obviously the best car on h track Saturday afternoon… Michael McDowell finished 2nd and Sam Hornish Jr. third… Max Papis and Brian Vickers were the next two across the finish line.
- Nationwide Point Standings… Sam Hornish Jr. moved up a spot to claim the lead in the point standings with 769 points… Elliott Saddler jumped up 2nd while Regan Smith remained in 3rd… Austin Dillon dropped from 1st to 4th and Brian Vickers held on to the #5 spot.
- Sprint Cup Results…. Joey Logano picked up his first victory of the season in the Sprint Cup Series last Sunday in the Pure Michigan 400… Kevin Harvick, Kurt Busch, Paul Menard and Clint Bowyer rounded out the top 5… The win moved Logano from 16th to 13 in the point standings getting him closer to being included in the chase for the title.
- Sprint Cup Standings…. Speaking of the standings, Jimmie Johnson, Clint Bowyer, Carl Edwards, Kevin Harvick, and Kyle Busch continue to hold the top 5 spots in the standings… Matt Kenseth moved up a spot to 6th while Dale Earnhart Jr. dropped a spot to 7th… Brad Keselowski, Kurt Busch and Gregg Biffle occupy spots 8-10… Kasey Kahne and Martin Truex Jr. are in the 1th & 12th wild card spots at this time.
This & That:
- Laurens High Century Club…. The Laurens Dist. 55 High School Athletic Club is now selling Century Club memberships… For only $150 you get a reserved parking spot at KC Hannah & 2 passes for all home regular season athletic events… This year there is also something new: Touchdown Tailgate Zone…. For $250 you get 2 reserved parking spaces next to tailgating spaces and 2 home regular season home passes… There are a very limited number of these spaces available and they are sold on a 1st come 1st serve basis……. For more information or to order, contact Jim Iacuone… Office: 681-3630, Cell 871-4395 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Booster Club Reminder… Also a friendly reminder that all Laurens Athletic Booster Club members who have obtained the Bi-Lo Laurens High Athletic Booster Plus Card need to have them re-scanned this season as soon as possible… Just present the card along with your Bi-Lo Bonus Card the next time you shop at Bi-Lo and Bi-Lo will donate 1% of your purchase to the Booster Club…. This is NOT added to you bill but is donated by Bi-Lo form the amount you already paid… Scan it now and it will be good until June 30th of next year… If you don’t have one, I encourage you to stop by the booster club area at the home games and get one… Every little bit helps all the sports at Laurens High.
- Preseason Football Scrimmage Schedules… Click on the following link to see the pre-season football scrimmage schedule for Clinton High, Laurens Academy and Laurens High School: 2013 County High School Football Scrimmage Schedule…. Today: None scheduled.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 10 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Flag Football & Cheerleading… Registration is now open at the Clinton YMCA for flag football and cheerleading… Football is open to youth from 4 to 12 divided into age appropriate groupings… Cheerleading is open to youth in grades K-6… The registration deadline for both is August 22nd … For complete details click on the following link: Clinton YMCA Flag Football & Cheerleading Information
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Department is now registering youth from ages 6-12 for fall baseball… There will be teams in Coach Pitch, Player Pitch and Advanced League divisions… The deadline for registration is August 24th and the cost is $25… Skill evaluation will be Monday August 26th and the season will start September 9th… Registration is done at the Parks and Recreation office at the Little River Park during normal business hours…
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.