Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-22-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Thursday and it’s brought to you by the Laurens County Speedway… Well guess what, Mother Nature won all the main events out at the LCS last Saturday night as wet weather once again forced the cancellation of all racing… As you know, it’s a dirt track but not a mud track… Weather permitting the gates will open at 6:00 Saturday night and racing will start at 8:00 out at the LCS where they do dirt right.
- Laurens – Newberry Scrimmage… Well 1.5 inches of rain in 15 minutes made the sidelines of the football field at KC Hannah Stadium small lakes yesterday afternoon forcing the postponement of the paid game scrimmage between Laurens and Newberry… The Raiders and the Bulldogs have rescheduled that scrimmage for today at 6:00 pm… Admission will be $3.00.
- Meet The Devils… Tonight at 6:00 pm CHS will have their annual Meet the Devils Night in the main gym at CHS… All the fall sports teams and cheerleaders are scheduled to be introduced… Come on out and Meet the Devils.
- Braves 4 – Mets 1 (10)…. The Braves manages a split of the brief 2-game series with the Mets yesterday afternoon as they took a 4-1 win over the Mets in 10 innings… The game was tied 1-1 going into the 10th inning when with 2 outs in the top of the 10th Andrelton Simmons and Freddie Freeman reached base on back-to-back singles… Freeman’s hit was a close call as the first base umpire ruled him safe much to the ire of the Mets and their fans… Chris Johnson then followed homering on the first pitch he saw powering the Braves to the win… By the way, The Mets second baseman Daniel Murphy and Manager Terry Collins were ejected by first base umpire Jerry Lane for arguing after the homerun about Freeman’s hit …. The Braves now move on the St Louis for a 4-game series with the Cardinal starting tonight at 8:15.
- Jason Heyward Suffers Broken Jaw….. In the game yesterday afternoon, Braves right fielder Jason Heyward had his right jaw broken on a rising fastball from Mets pitcher Jon Neise and was in no way intentional… It occurred with two out in the 6th inning and appeared to hit just below the right earflap of his batting helmet… Heyward was carried to a New York hospital where x-rays showed his jaw to be fractured in 2 places… His jaw was stabilized and he is expected to undergo surgery in Atlanta sometime today… The Braves will not speculate on his ability to return until after the surgery.
- Braves 6 – Drive 2… The Drive hosted the Rome Braves last night at Flour Field and the Baby Braves picked up their second win in a row over the Drive this time by a score of 6-2… Bottom line, little offense from the Drive.
- Martin for Stewart… Mark Martin obtained an early release from his contract with Michael Waltrip Racing and Richard Childress Racing in order to drive the # 14 car for all but one race the rest of the season as a replacement for the injured Tony Stewart… You may remember that Stewart broke his right leg a couple of weeks ago… Rather than rush his return to racing, Stewart decided to rehab the leg the rest of this season and be ready for next season… Austin Dillon will drive the # 14 car at Talladega…. This also allows Brian Vickers to go ahead and start racing the # 55 car earlier than anticipated for the Michael Waltrip Racing except for the race at Talladega where Waltrip himself plans to drive.
- Panthers @ Baltimore Tonight… The Carolina Panthers will travel to Baltimore to take on the ravens in the 3rd preseason contest for the Panthers… Kickoff is scheduled for 8:00 pm and I believe you can see it on ESPN.
- 2014 South Carolina Football Schedule…. The SEC and the University of South Carolina released the 2014 football schedule for the Gamecocks yesterday and they will start their season on Thursday August 28 with SEC member Texas A&M coming to Williams Brice Stadium … Click on the following link to read more about next year’s Gamecock football schedule: 2014 Gamecock Football Schedule and Other Information
This & That:
- Laurens High Century Club…. The Laurens Dist. 55 High School Athletic Club is now selling Century Club memberships… For only $150 you get a reserved parking spot at KC Hannah & 2 passes for all home regular season athletic events… This year there is also something new: Touchdown Tailgate Zone…. For $250 you get 2 reserved parking spaces next to tailgating spaces and 2 home regular season home passes… There are a very limited number of these spaces available and they are sold on a first come first serve basis……. For more information or to order, contact Jim Iacuone… Office: 681-3630, Cell 871-4395 or email him at email@example.com
- Booster Club Reminder… Also a friendly reminder that all Laurens Athletic Booster Club members who have obtained the Bi-Lo Laurens High Athletic Booster Plus Card need to have them re-scanned this season as soon as possible… Just present the card along with your Bi-Lo Bonus Card the next time you shop at Bi-Lo and Bi-Lo will donate 1% of your purchase to the Booster Club…. This is NOT added to you bill but is donated by Bi-Lo from the amount you already paid… Scan it now and it will be good until June 30th of next year… If you don’t have one, I encourage you to stop by the booster club area at the home games and get one… Every little bit helps all the sports at Laurens High.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 8 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Flag Football & Cheerleading… Registration is now open at the Clinton YMCA for flag football and cheerleading… Football is open to youth from 4 to 12 divided into age appropriate groupings… Cheerleading is open to youth in grades K-6… The registration deadline for both is August 22nd … For complete details click on the following link: Clinton YMCA Flag Football & Cheerleading Information
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Department is now registering youth from ages 6-12 for fall baseball… There will be teams in Coach Pitch, Player Pitch and Advanced League divisions… The deadline for registration is August 24th and the cost is $25… Skill evaluation will be Monday August 26th and the season will start September 9th… Registration is done at the Parks and Recreation office at the Little River Park during normal business hours…
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.