Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-21-13
- Clinton High Scrimmages Ninety Six….The Red Devils hosted the Wildcats of Ninety Six at Wilder Stadium in a game scrimmage… While they did not post scores on the scoreboard, I unofficially had it 34-27 with Ninety Six coming out on top… Clinton’s first score was set up by Kevious Hunter’s interception of a Wildcat pass… Matthias Williams scored a few plays later and Matt Craven added the PAT… A few plays later, Breshaud Parks recovered a 96 fumble setting up a short drive that ended in another rushing TD by Williams… 96 then had a long drive and scored making it 14-6 Clinton… Clinton answered with a long drive capped off by a Vee Thompson touchdown run from the 10… The PAT was missed making it 20-6.. Early in the 2nd period 96 scored making it 20-13… After 96 forced Clinton to punt on their next possession,.. 96 scored with a few seconds left in the half to tie the game 20-20… The Red Devils scored first in the 3rd period on a TD run by Breshaud Parks…The PAT by Craven made it 27-20 Clinton… When 96 got the ball back, Dee Jennings picked off a Wildcat pass but Clinton was unable to capitalize as a fumble turned it back over to 96 a few plays later… After forcing the Wildcats to punt, Clinton put the ball on the ground and 96 recovered and drove for the tying score with about 11 minutes left in the contest… Clinton could not mount a drive ad 96 went ahead with 14.3 seconds left in the contest after a 56 yard drive… It should be noted that both teams used mainly non-starters in the second half.
- Raiders to Scrimmage Today… The Laurens Raiders will host Newberry today in a paid game scrimmage at KC Hannah Stadium… The admission will be $3.00 and it is scheduled to get underway at 6:30.
- Mets 5 – Braves 3… The Braves started a brief 2-game series with the Mets in New York last night and the Mets took the win by a score of 5-3… The Mets led 4-0 at the end of 6 innings with a 2 run homer by the Mets Marlon Byrd and a couple of Braves errors being the catalyst for those runs… The Braves rallied in the 7th inning when Andrelton Simmons drove in 3 runs with a bases-loaded double… The Mets added a single run in the 8th to take the 5-3 win… The two teams will finish the short series today with the game slated to start at 1:10 pm.
- Braves 4 – Drive 2…. The Greenville Drive started a 3-game series with the Rome Braves last night at Flour Field and the Baby Braves broke a 2-2 tie in the 7th inning scoring 2 runs and then shutting out the Drive the remainder of the game to take a 4-2 win over the Drive… The Braves centerfielder Chase Anselment had a 2-run homer in the 7th to propel them to the win…. The Drive’s runs came on a 2-run homer by Chase Moanaroa with 2 out in the 2nd inning… Same two teams will face off again tonight at 7:05.
This & That:
- Laurens High Century Club…. The Laurens Dist. 55 High School Athletic Club is now selling Century Club memberships… For only $150 you get a reserved parking spot at KC Hannah & 2 passes for all home regular season athletic events… This year there is also something new: Touchdown Tailgate Zone…. For $250 you get 2 reserved parking spaces next to tailgating spaces and 2 home regular season home passes… There are a very limited number of these spaces available and they are sold on a first come first serve basis……. For more information or to order, contact Jim Iacuone… Office: 681-3630, Cell 871-4395 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Booster Club Reminder… Also a friendly reminder that all Laurens Athletic Booster Club members who have obtained the Bi-Lo Laurens High Athletic Booster Plus Card need to have them re-scanned this season as soon as possible… Just present the card along with your Bi-Lo Bonus Card the next time you shop at Bi-Lo and Bi-Lo will donate 1% of your purchase to the Booster Club…. This is NOT added to you bill but is donated by Bi-Lo from the amount you already paid… Scan it now and it will be good until June 30th of next year… If you don’t have one, I encourage you to stop by the booster club area at the home games and get one… Every little bit helps all the sports at Laurens High.
- Preseason Football Scrimmage Schedules… Click on the following link to see the pre-season football scrimmage schedule for Clinton High, Laurens Academy and Laurens High School: 2013 County High School Football Scrimmage Schedule…. Today: None scheduled.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 10 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Flag Football & Cheerleading… Registration is now open at the Clinton YMCA for flag football and cheerleading… Football is open to youth from 4 to 12 divided into age appropriate groupings… Cheerleading is open to youth in grades K-6… The registration deadline for both is August 22nd … For complete details click on the following link: Clinton YMCA Flag Football & Cheerleading Information
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Department is now registering youth from ages 6-12 for fall baseball… There will be teams in Coach Pitch, Player Pitch and Advanced League divisions… The deadline for registration is August 24th and the cost is $25… Skill evaluation will be Monday August 26th and the season will start September 9th… Registration is done at the Parks and Recreation office at the Little River Park during normal business hours…
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.