Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-23-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics…. The Presbyterian College football team will open its 100th year with its annual Fan Day tomorrow at Bailey Memorial Stadium. Gates open at 9 a.m., with the team taking the field at 10 a.m., for a practice session. Admission is free and open to the public. Players will be available at the front of the stadium from 9 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. to sign autographs. There will also be a kids’ zone set up with jump castles, face painting and a balloon artist. An on-the field practice will follow at 10 a.m. and will last approximately an hour. Come on out and catch the Blue Hose in one of their final practices before the open the season next Thursday in N.C. against Wake Forest.
- Newberry 24 – Laurens 19… The Laurens Raiders finished their preseason scrimmage schedule last night as they hosted the Newberry Bulldogs. When the final horn sounded, the visitors had taken a 24-19 win… Laurens got on the board first on a 21 yard field goal by Rene Reynoso with 2:15 left in the first period… Newberry responded on their next possession and scored with 11:12 left in the 2nd period with score and most of the yardage coming off running of Omar Sims…The extra point made it 7-3 Bulldogs… The Raiders knocked on the goal line two possessions later but fumbled before crossing the goal line giving Newberry a touchback and the ball on the 20… The Raider defense stiffened and Kalim Taylor blocked a Bulldog punt that rolled into the end zone then out the side of the end zone for a safety making it 7-5 Bulldogs still on top at the half…Newberry added a 17 yard field goal with 5:24 left in the 3rd period making it 10-5… Neither team could score the remainder of the 3rd period and the younger players for both teams played the 4th period… Newberry added 7 more points with 8:15 left in the game making it 17-5 but Laurens responded on their next offensive play with an 8o yard touchdown from Toby Jackson to Chris Statom… The PAT cut into the Bulldogs lead to 5 with the score 17-12… Newberry scored with 2:41 left making it 24-12 but the young Raiders responded and drove 80 yards with the last 18 yards being covered on a TD pass again from Jackson to Statom with 16.4 seconds left making the final 24-19 Bulldogs… After the game Coach Lawson was disappointed with the inconsistent play of the offense and the number of mistakes they made… “They have a long way to go and a short time to do” he stated… He was more positive about the defense but said they still had room for improvement… He also acknowledged the play of the younger players in the 4th period and mentioned that just like in the spring they played better than some of the older “veterans”… This wraps up the preseason for all the local area football teams as their season will start next Friday night for all the county teams except one…
- Laurens Academy Opens Tonight… The one county school that does not open next Friday night is Laurens Academy… The Crusaders will start their season tonight at Greenwood Christian at 7:30… The Crusaders are dropping back to 8-man football this year and second year Head Coach Tyler Van Hook hopes to get this season started off with a win tonight… Go on out and take in all the action.
- Cardinals 6 – Braves 2… The Braves opened a 4-games series last night in St Louis and the hosts were not very hospitable as the Cardinals took a 6-2 win over the Bravos… Both teams had 9 hits but the Red Birds were able to get theirs at opportune time and capitalized on Braves miscues… Justin Upton did get his 24th homerun of the season for the Braves… The series continues tonight in St. Louis.
- Braves 7 – Drive 3… The Greenville Drive continue to have trouble scoring enough wins as the Rome Braves swept the 3-game series with a 7-3 win over the Drive at Flour Field last night… The Drive now start a road trip and the first stop will be in Lexington, Ky. tonight to take on the Legends.
- Panthers 34 – Ravens 27… The Carolina Panthers gave their starters more playing time last night and it paid off as they took a 34-17 win over the Ravens in Baltimore.. The Panthers’ defense scored 3 times and the special teams once in the game.
- Schedule For This Weekend: The Nationwide Series will be racing tonight up at the Bristol Motor Speedway and it can be seen on ESPN starting at 7:30… The Sprint Cup drivers will also be up in Bristol this weekend and they will race tomorrow night at 7:30 also… If you want to watch that, you will have to tune in to ABC.
This & That:
- Laurens High Century Club…. The Laurens Dist. 55 High School Athletic Club is now selling Century Club memberships… For only $150 you get a reserved parking spot at KC Hannah & 2 passes for all home regular season athletic events… This year there is also something new: Touchdown Tailgate Zone…. For $250 you get 2 reserved parking spaces next to tailgating spaces and 2 home regular season home passes… There are a very limited number of these spaces available and they are sold on a first come first serve basis……. For more information or to order, contact Jim Iacuone… Office: 681-3630, Cell 871-4395 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Booster Club Reminder… Also a friendly reminder that all Laurens Athletic Booster Club members who have obtained the Bi-Lo Laurens High Athletic Booster Plus Card need to have them re-scanned this season as soon as possible… Just present the card along with your Bi-Lo Bonus Card the next time you shop at Bi-Lo and Bi-Lo will donate 1% of your purchase to the Booster Club…. This is NOT added to you bill but is donated by Bi-Lo from the amount you already paid… Scan it now and it will be good until June 30th of next year… If you don’t have one, I encourage you to stop by the booster club area at the home games and get one… Every little bit helps all the sports at Laurens High.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 7 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
City of Laurens Parks & Recreation:
- Fall Baseball… The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Department is now registering youth from ages 6-12 for fall baseball… There will be teams in Coach Pitch, Player Pitch and Advanced League divisions… The deadline for registration is August 24th and the cost is $25… Skill evaluation will be Monday August 26th and the season will start September 9th… Registration is done at the Parks and Recreation office at the Little River Park during normal business hours…
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.