Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-26-13
- Crusaders 34 – Hawks 24: The Laurens Academy Crusaders opened their season in Greenwood on Friday night with a 34-24 win over the Greenwood Christian Hawks… The Crusaders have dropped back to 8-man football this year and it appears that Coach Tyler VanHook has his offense pretty much geared up for that and ready to go… Ryan Holmes had 3 TD passes 2 to Robert Williams and 1 to Caleb Greene… Holmes also added a rushing TD as did Williams… For more details and a few photos click on the following link: More Details of Game and a Few Photos
Braves: The Braves finished their 4 game series with the cardinals in St. Louis over the weekend.
- Friday: Cards 3 – Braves 1… The Cardinals defeated the Braves for the second night in a row on Friday as they took a 3-1 win over the Braves… The Braves only run came in the 6th inning on a 2-out single by Freddie Freeman who along with Chris Johnson were the only 2 Braves with more than one hit in the game as they both had 2 each.
- Saturday: Cards 6 – Braves 2… The Cards made it 3 straight as they took a 6-2 win on Saturday… Freddie Freeman put the Braves out in front early with a solo homer in the 1st inning but the Card tied it up in their half of the 1st inning when lead-off hitter Matt Carpenter had a solo shot… The Cardinals broke the game open in the 7th inning scoring 3 runs. The Braves managed a run in the 9th but it was too little too late.
- Sunday: Braves 5 – Cards 2…. The Braves avoided the sweep yesterday as they took a 5-2 win over the Cardinals… Right Fielder Jordan Shafer playing for the injured Jason Heyward had a double and a triple to lead the Braves attack… Andrelton Simmons had solo shot in the 7th his 12th homerun of the season… Mike Minor pitched 7 quality innings picking up the win… The Braves have tonight off and they will start a home stand in Atlanta tomorrow night.
Drive: The Greenville Drive finished their road trip and series with the Lexington Legends in over the weekend.
- Friday: Legends 4 – Drive 3… The Drive found themselves trailing 4-1 going into the 9th inning on Friday and rallied scoring 2 runs in the 9th but fell short as the Legends took a 4-3 win.. Keaton Briscoe went 3-4 for the Drive.
- Saturday: Drive 8 – Legends 1… The Drive broke a 5 game losing streak on Saturday as the defeated the Legends 8-1… The Drive offense finally heated up the bats as they collected 13 hits while the Drive pitchers limited the Legends to just 5 hits.
- Sunday: Legends 4 – Drive 2… Yesterday the Drive outhit the Legends 9-7 but an error and like of timely hits costs the Drive as the Legends took a 4-2 win in the series finale… The Drive return home tonight to start a short 3-game home stand against the Charleston RiverDogs.
Local Sports Schedule:
Laurens Academy: Volleyball host Wardlaw starting at 5:00
- Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza tomorrow night for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the upcoming football season… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
This & That:
- Laurens High Century Club…. The Laurens Dist. 55 High School Athletic Club is now selling Century Club memberships… For only $150 you get a reserved parking spot at KC Hannah & 2 passes for all home regular season athletic events… This year there is also something new: Touchdown Tailgate Zone…. For $250 you get 2 reserved parking spaces next to tailgating spaces and 2 home regular season home passes… There are a very limited number of these spaces available and they are sold on a first come first serve basis……. For more information or to order, contact Jim Iacuone… Office: 681-3630, Cell 871-4395 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Booster Club Reminder… Also a friendly reminder that all Laurens Athletic Booster Club members who have obtained the Bi-Lo Laurens High Athletic Booster Plus Card need to have them re-scanned this season as soon as possible… Just present the card along with your Bi-Lo Bonus Card the next time you shop at Bi-Lo and Bi-Lo will donate 1% of your purchase to the Booster Club…. This is NOT added to you bill but is donated by Bi-Lo from the amount you already paid… Scan it now and it will be good until June 30th of next year… If you don’t have one, I encourage you to stop by the booster club area at the home games and get one… Every little bit helps all the sports at Laurens High.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 4 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.