Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-27-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The Blue Hose are just 2 days away from starting their football season on Thursday when they travel to Wake Forest for a 6:30 contest with the Demon Deacons… Also did you know that PC Athletics is celebrating its 100th year? They have a an interactive website setup that features a timeline where visitors can view each decade as they become available through the year… Click on the following for a link to that website: BlueHose 100
- The Braves were off last night but start a long home stand tonight at Turner Field with the first team in being the Cleveland Indians who come in for a 3 game series….By the way the Braves 78-52 record at this point is the best in MLB and they have a 13 game lead over the Washington Nationals in the NL East.
- Charleston 9 – Greenville 6… The Greenville Drive continue to struggle as the Charleston RiverDogs took a 9-6 win in the first of three games with the Drive this week… The Drive had 12 hits and the RiverDogs 13 but 3 of the Dogs hits were homers… By the way, these games with the RiverDogs are the Drives last home games of the season.
- Nationwide Results… Kyle Busch picked up his 6th Nationwide victory of the season last Friday at Bristol as he led 228 of the 250 laps… Brad Keselowski, Austin Dillon, Justin Allgaier and Kyle Larson were the next 4 across the finish line.
- Nationwide Standings… After Friday’s race at Bristol, the Nationwide standings still have Sam Hornish Jr. in 1st but Austin Dillon moved up from 4th to 2nd… Elliot Sadler and Regan Smith each dropped 1 spot to 3rd and 4th respectively and Justin Allgaier moved up 1 spot to 5th… Only 39 points between the leader Busch and Allgaier.
- Sprint Cup Results… As it happened twice before this season in Sprint Cup races, Matt Kenseth held off Kasey Kahne to take the win Saturday night at Bristol… The victory was his 5th of the season and guaranteed him at least a wild card spot in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup… Juan Pablo Montoya, Brian Vickers and Joey Logano rounded out the top 5.
- Sprint Cup Standings… Now looking at the driver point standings for the Sprint Cup Series the top 10 in order are: Jimmie Johnson, Clint Bowyer, Carl Edward, Kevin Harvick, Kyle Busch, Matt Kenseth, Dale Earnhart Jr., Kasey Kahne, Greg Biffle and Joey Logano… At this moment, Martin Truex Jr and Ryan Newman have the wild card spots.
Local Sports Schedule:
CHS: Var. Volleyball at Chapin (Scrimmage) 5:30
LDHS: Girls Golf host Union @ Lakeside CC 4:30
Laurens Academy: MS / Var. Volleyball host Northside Academy 5:00
- Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza tonight for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the upcoming football season… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet for the first time on Friday August 30th at noon at the Lakeside Country Club… The local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC are scheduled to speak at that time about the upcoming football season… The Club will meet on September 13th and 27th, October 11th, and 25th, November 8th and 22nd and have the Annual Banquet on December 4th where former Clemson Football Coach Danny Ford will be the speaker…. For a complete list of speakers and information on how to join, click on the following link: Laurens County 2013 Touchdown Club Information
- Laurens High Century Club…. The Laurens Dist. 55 High School Athletic Club is now selling Century Club memberships… For only $150 you get a reserved parking spot at KC Hannah & 2 passes for all home regular season athletic events… This year there is also something new: Touchdown Tailgate Zone…. For $250 you get 2 reserved parking spaces next to tailgating spaces and 2 home regular season home passes… There are a very limited number of these spaces available and they are sold on a first come first serve basis……. For more information or to order, contact Jim Iacuone… Office: 681-3630, Cell 871-4395 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Booster Club Reminder… Also a friendly reminder that all Laurens Athletic Booster Club members who have obtained the Bi-Lo Laurens High Athletic Booster Plus Card need to have them re-scanned this season as soon as possible… Just present the card along with your Bi-Lo Bonus Card the next time you shop at Bi-Lo and Bi-Lo will donate 1% of your purchase to the Booster Club…. This is NOT added to you bill but is donated by Bi-Lo from the amount you already paid… Scan it now and it will be good until June 30th of next year… If you don’t have one, I encourage you to stop by the booster club area at the home games and get one… Every little bit helps all the sports at Laurens High.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 3 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.