Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 8-29-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG / Sports Radio 1410 WPCC sports for Thursday and it’s brought to you by Laurens County Speedway… Since I mentioned the LCS let’s go ahead and review the results from the main events last Saturday night:
- Limited…. Deano Long had a hard fought victory in Limited Division as he had to fight off Billy Rushton the whole race… Kris Norwood finished 3rd.
- SS4… Austin Mintz crossed the finish line 1st but hold on – he had to forfeit his win… After the race certain parts of his engine were challenged and when he refused to tear down those areas, he forfeited… Justin Mintz was then declared the winner… J.R Baker took 2nd and Dusty Eaves 3rd.
- Hobby… Dan Lawson broke away early and took the victory here… Chris Patterson and Bobby Tucker rounded out the top 3.
- Crates… Dale Timms took the win in the Crates but he seemed to have 2nd place finisher Greg Pilgrim hooked to his bumper all night… Terry Bullard finished 3rd.
- FWD… In the FWD they kept crashing on the first lap but after 4 tries they got past the first lap and at the end of the race it was 3 Hills crossing the finish line ahead of the others… From 1st to 3rd it was Ricky, Tony & Chris.
- Faster Pastor… In a special Race that has become somewhat of an annual event, Ronnie Blackwell won the Faster Pastor Race… Charles Whitsel, Glen Walker and Eddie Tyner finished in that order in the 4-car race.
- Now don’t forget the gates open at 6:00 this Saturday with racing starting at 8:00 at the LCS where they do dirt R I G H T!
- JV Football: Clinton 42 – Chapin 6… The Red Devil JV football team defeated Chapin 42-6 in Chapin. Shabazz Blakely scores the first touchdown on a 4th down pass from Donovan Benson. 2 pt run was good and led 8-0.. Vee Thompson scored next on a 10 yard run and the extra point was no good and the score was 14-0 after 1 period. Tyshamen Boyd scores from 5 yds out and the two point run was good to put Clinton up 22-0 at the half. Clinton opened up the scoring in the 2nd half with a 5 yd run by Zikail Livingston. The two point run was good and Clinton led 30-0. Chapin scored on a 20 yard pass and the two point conversion was no good and the score was 30-6. Chandler Todd scored on a 1 yd run and the two point conversion made it 38-6. Zikail Livingston capped the Red Devil scoring with a two yard run on the last play to make the final score 42-6. Coach Chris Wofford stated after the game; “The defense played extremely well and the offensive line did a good job of opening up some big holes.” Clinton will travel to Newberry next Thursday at 6:00.
- Girls Golf: Union County 211 – Laurens 216… On Tuesday the Lady Raider Golf Team opened their season as they hosted Union County at Lakeside CC… It was a close match but the visitors took a 5 stroke win defeating Laurens 211-215… Victoria Fleck, Makalya Rykard, and Alexus Moore all had scores of 50…. They will play Greenwood at Stoney Point today to open up region play.
- Local Schedule for tonight: Well talking season is over for PC and the Gamecocks as they both open their season tonight… PC is on the road to take on Wake Forest in a 6:30 contest and can be seen on ESPN3… South Carolina plays host to the North Carolina Tar Heels and that game can be seen on ESPN at 6:00…. Weather forecast for Columbia is Clowney with a chance of pain.
- Braves 3 – Indians 2… The Braves took a 3-2 win over the Cleveland Indians… With two outs in the bottom of the 9th and the score tied, Chris Johnson drove the past the diving shortstop scoring Jordan Schafer from second as he slid in just before the tag for a walk-off win for the Braves… The teams will complete their current series in Atlanta tonight.
- Drive 2 – RiverDogs 1 (11)… The Greenville Drive played their final home game of the season last night at Flour Field and they took a 2-1 win over the Charleston RiverDogs in 11 innings…. The Drive will complete their season on the road in Savannah with a final series starting tomorrow night.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Girls Golf @ Greenwood @ Stoney Point 4:00
- 9th Grade Football host BHP 7:30
- MS / Var. Volleyball at WW King 4:30
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Gaffney as the Red Devils will be taking on the Indians… If you are going to the game, carry your FM radio and listen to the WPCC broadcast on the in-stadium transmitter on 89.7 or 92.1… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Clinton at Gaffney game.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagoogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… we will then go live to the stadium at BHP for all the action as the Raiders take on the Bears… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike reports from the side lines… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 95.9… By the way, Laurens will have a fan bus going to BHP on Friday night… The cost will be $6.00 and the bus will leave the school at 6:00 pm… This does NOT include the cost of the ticket once you get to the game… Call 682-9117 to make your reservations.
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet for the first time on Friday August 30th at noon at the Lakeside Country Club… The local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC are scheduled to speak at that time about the upcoming football season… The Club will meet on September 13th and 27th, October 11th, and 25th, November 8th and 22nd and have the Annual Banquet on December 4th where former Clemson Football Coach Danny Ford will be the speaker…. For a complete list of speakers and information on how to join, click on the following link: Laurens County 2013 Touchdown Club Information
- Laurens High Century Club…. The Laurens Dist. 55 High School Athletic Club is now selling Century Club memberships… For only $150 you get a reserved parking spot at KC Hannah & 2 passes for all home regular season athletic events… This year there is also something new: Touchdown Tailgate Zone…. For $250 you get 2 reserved parking spaces next to tailgating spaces and 2 home regular season home passes… There are a very limited number of these spaces available and they are sold on a first come first serve basis……. For more information or to order, contact Jim Iacuone… Office: 681-3630, Cell 871-4395 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Booster Club Reminder… Also a friendly reminder that all Laurens Athletic Booster Club members who have obtained the Bi-Lo Laurens High Athletic Booster Plus Card need to have them re-scanned this season as soon as possible… Just present the card along with your Bi-Lo Bonus Card the next time you shop at Bi-Lo and Bi-Lo will donate 1% of your purchase to the Booster Club…. This is NOT added to you bill but is donated by Bi-Lo from the amount you already paid… Scan it now and it will be good until June 30th of next year… If you don’t have one, I encourage you to stop by the booster club area at the home games and get one… Every little bit helps all the sports at Laurens High.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
- And finally, its only 3 days until the start of high school football season on August 30th when Laurens will travel to BHP and Clinton will go to Gaffney. The night before PC will open their season at Wake Forest.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.