Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The Blue Hose kicked off their football season last night up at Wake Forest and they led 7-3 at the end of the 1st period but the Demon Deacons came back to take a 31-7 win… Freshman Kenyon Brown from Clinton even say playing time and was credited for knocking away a pass in the endzone that would most likely have been a TD… PC will open their home schedule next Saturday when they host Brevard at 2:00 pm.
- 9th Grade Football: BHP 21 – Laurens 2… The Raider 9th Grade team opened up its season last night as they took on a team from BHP composed of as many or more 10th graders as 9th graders and the Bears took a 21-2 win… The score stood 6-0 at the half as both teams had trouble finishing drives… Laurens only points came in the 3rd period when Jalyn Walker blocked a Bear punt about the ear 15 yard line that rolled out of the back of the endzone for a safety… After the game, Coach Dale Nelson praised the effort and intensity of his squad especially since they were playing against many players who would be dressed out for tonight’s varsity contest… He made point to point out the play of Josh McGowan at QB, DQ Floyd going both ways and on defense Tiazay Hill and Jalyn Walker.
- Gamecocks 27 – Tar Heels 10… There was lightning in the sky that caused the NC at SC game to be suspended for about 1 hour and 45 minutes last night but there was also some on the field as both Connor Shaw and Dylan Thompson had long TD passes and Mike Davis had a 75 yard TD run as the Gamecocks defeated the Tar Heels of North Carolina 27-10 at Williams Brice in the season opener for both teams.
- Braves 3 – Indians 1… The Braves competed a 3-game sweep of the Cleveland Indians with a 3-1 victory in Atlanta… Brian McCann drilled a three-run homer and Kris Medlen produced one of his most impressive starts to lift the Braves to the win… The Braves will continue their home stand as the Miami Marlins come in for a weekend series.
- Panthers 25 – Steelers 10… The Carolina Panthers finished their preseason schedule with a 25-10 win over the Pittsburg Steelers in Charlotte last night… They will open their regular season on Sunday, Sept. 9th when they host the Seattle Seahawks in a 1:00 pm contest.
- Jaguars 20 – Falcons 16… Meanwhile the Jacksonville Jaguars took a 20-16 win over the Atlanta Falcons in Atlanta last night… The Falcons will start their regular season next Sunday with a 1:00 pm contest in the New Orleans Super Dome taking on the Saints.
Local Sports Schedule:
CHS: Varsity football at Gaffney: 7:30 – On WPCC starting at 6:45
LDHS: Varsity Football at BHP: 7:30 on WLBG
Laurens Academy: varsity football at Pee Dee Academy (Mullins): 7:30
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 tonight as they get you ready for all the action from Gaffney as the Red Devils will be taking on the Indians… Bring your FM radio and pick them up on FM 89.7 or 92.1 whichever is clearer… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Clinton at Gaffney game.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… he will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… We will then go live to the stadium at BHP for all the action as the Raiders take on the Bears… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike reports from the side lines… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 95.9… By the way, Laurens will have a fan bus going to BHP on Friday night… The cost will be $6.00 and the bus will leave the school at 6:00 pm… This does NOT include the cost of the ticket once you get to the game… Call 682-9117 to make your reservations.
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club will meet for the first time on Friday August 30th at noon at the Lakeside Country Club… The local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC are scheduled to speak at that time about the upcoming football season… The Club will meet on September 13th and 27th, October 11th, and 25th, November 8th and 22nd and have the Annual Banquet on December 4th where former Clemson Football Coach Danny Ford will be the speaker…. For a complete list of speakers and information on how to join, click on the following link: Laurens County 2013 Touchdown Club Information
- Laurens High Century Club…. The Laurens Dist. 55 High School Athletic Club is now selling Century Club memberships… For only $150 you get a reserved parking spot at KC Hannah & 2 passes for all home regular season athletic events… This year there is also something new: Touchdown Tailgate Zone…. For $250 you get 2 reserved parking spaces next to tailgating spaces and 2 home regular season home passes… There are a very limited number of these spaces available and they are sold on a first come first serve basis……. For more information or to order, contact Jim Iacuone… Office: 681-3630, Cell 871-4395 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Booster Club Reminder… Also a friendly reminder that all Laurens Athletic Booster Club members who have obtained the Bi-Lo Laurens High Athletic Booster Plus Card need to have them re-scanned this season as soon as possible… Just present the card along with your Bi-Lo Bonus Card the next time you shop at Bi-Lo and Bi-Lo will donate 1% of your purchase to the Booster Club…. This is NOT added to you bill but is donated by Bi-Lo from the amount you already paid… Scan it now and it will be good until June 30th of next year… If you don’t have one, I encourage you to stop by the booster club area at the home games and get one… Every little bit helps all the sports at Laurens High.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
FYI / Community Interest:
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.