Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 9-2-13
- Gaffney 45 – Clinton 18…. The Red Devils opened their season on the road last Friday night as they traveled to Gaffney to take on the Indians… When the final buzzer sounded, the Indians prevailed by a score of 45-18… The Red Devils ran more plays than Gaffney (82-63) and had only 8 yards less than Gaffney in total offense (381-389) but 5 lost fumbles were the Achilles heel of the Red Devils….. Matthias Williams had 2 rushing TDs for Clinton and QB Landon Allison lateraled to Blaine Wilbanks who then connected with Matt Craven for Clinton’s 3rd score… For more information on this game, see the posting at www.chsathletics.com….. You can click on the following for more game statistics: Clinton at Gaffney Game statistics, 8-30-13
- BHP 24 – Laurens 21… In their annual season opening battle royal, the Bears of BHP took a hard fought 24-21 win over the Laurens Raiders… BHP put 14 points on the board in the first half before Laurens scored on a 42 yard pick-six by Scott Grant and the extra point by Rene Reynoso making it 14-7 BHP with 1:15 left in the half… The Raiders scored during BHP’s first possession of the 2nd half when Quay Parks scooped up a BHP fumble and went 48 yards for the score… The PAT failed and BHP led by 1, 14-13… BHP scored later in the 3rd period making it 21-13… Laurens tied the game with 1:16 left in the 3rd on a 9 yard pass from Grayson Bailes to LaEric Martin with Martin also adding the 2-point conversion on a rush… BHP got the game winning 23 yd. field goal with 4:07 left in the game… Laurens was then intercepted by BHP who then ran the clock out for the win… Laurens generated 157 yards of total offense only 27 of which were rushing while BHP had 282 yards with 187 of it coming on the ground… For a more complete account of the game, see the posting at www.ldhssports.com… Click on the following link for more game statistics: Laurens at BHP stats – 8-30-13
- Pee Dee Academy 62 – Laurens Academy 54… The Crusaders of Laurens Academy hit the road for the 2nd week in a row as they traveled to Mullins to take on the Pee Dee Academy Golden Eagles… The long trip seems to have taken its toll as the Eagles took a 62-54 win over the Crusaders… Don’t have a lot of details at this time other than Pee Dee had 687 yards rushing and their quarterback and slot back both had a big night with their special teams scoring on at least 2 kickoff returns… The score was only 38-26 at the half and the Crusaders scored 2 TDs late in the game as their comeback effort fell short.
- Congratulations to the Clemson Tigers and their fans as they took a 38-35 win over the Georgia Bulldogs.
Braves: The Braves hosted Miami Marlins over the weekend so let’s see how they did:
- Friday: Braves 2 – Marlins 1… The Braves scored 2 runs in the 1st inning then held on to take a 2-1 win… Freddie Freeman was responsible in large part for those 2 runs as he had a 2 run homer scoring Elliot Johnson.
- Saturday: Braves 5 – Marlins 4 (11)… BJ Upton led the Braves with 4 hits on the night including a game-tying homer and getting the winning RBI on a walk-off single in the 11th inning.
- Sunday: Marlins 7 – Braves 0… The Braves found the broom closet locked yesterday as the Marlins prevented the Braves sweep by taking a 7-0 win… Braves could not get the key hits when runners were scoring position…. The Braves will complete the current home stand with a 3-game series with the Mets starting tonight at the Ted.
Local Sports Schedule: None Noted
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be taking on the Newberry Bulldogs… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Clinton at Gaffney game.
- WLBG: Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza tomorrow night for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the upcoming football season… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club next meeting will be Friday September 13th at noon at the Lakeside Country Club… The local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC are scheduled to speak at that time about games from the past 2 weeks and preview the contest that night… The featured speaker will be Robbie Caldwell an assistant coach at Clemson…. For a complete list of speakers and information on how to join, click on the following link: Laurens County 2013 Touchdown Club Information… Videos of the last club meeting are now posted at wlbg.com…. Click on the following link to see them: LCTD Club Meeting Videos, 8-30-13
- Laurens High Century Club…. The Laurens Dist. 55 High School Athletic Club is now selling Century Club memberships… For only $150 you get a reserved parking spot at KC Hannah & 2 passes for all home regular season athletic events… This year there is also something new: Touchdown Tailgate Zone…. For $250 you get 2 reserved parking spaces next to tailgating spaces and 2 home regular season home passes… There are a very limited number of these spaces available and they are sold on a first come first serve basis……. For more information or to order, contact Jim Iacuone… Office: 681-3630, Cell 871-4395 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Booster Club Reminder… Also a friendly reminder that all Laurens Athletic Booster Club members who have obtained the Bi-Lo Laurens High Athletic Booster Plus Card need to have them re-scanned this season as soon as possible… Just present the card along with your Bi-Lo Bonus Card the next time you shop at Bi-Lo and Bi-Lo will donate 1% of your purchase to the Booster Club…. This is NOT added to you bill but is donated by Bi-Lo from the amount you already paid… Scan it now and it will be good until June 30th of next year… If you don’t have one, I encourage you to stop by the booster club area at the home games and get one… Every little bit helps all the sports at Laurens High.
- Clinton Season Football Tickets: 2013 season football tickets will go on sale July 22nd at CHS… For more information as to cost, hours, senior tickets, parking passes and home football schedule, Click on the following link: 2013 CHS Season Football Ticket Information
FYI / Community Interest:
- Registration is now open for Youth Soccer which will start October 22… There will be three age groupings: 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Monday, Sept. 30th… Click on he following link for much more information about the soccer program or call the Y at 833-1555.:
- Fall Soccer… Fall soccer registration is now open for youth 3-15 at the Laurens YMCA… Practice will begin Sept. 1st with games starting Sept. 9th… Registration will end on August 26th… For more information call the Y at 984-26-21 or see a posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com
- Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.