Real Radio 860 WLBG / Sports Radio 1410 WPCC Sports Report: 9-5-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Thursday and it’s brought to you by the Laurens County Speedway… Speaking of the LCS, let’s take a look back at the main event results from last Saturday night:
- Limited… Deano Long won his second straight main event in the Limited but he had to fight of Billy Rushton to get the win… Mac Owens was third.
- Crates… Trent Ivey had the top car in qualifying and also in the Crates main event as he led from start to finish… Dale Timms and Firmin Parton were the next two across the finish line
- Hobby… Chris Patterson won the main event in the Hobby and led from the start…. It was not an easy victory though as he had to hold off Dusty Eaves and Dan Lawson who finished 2nd & 3rd respectively not that far behind him.
- Super Stock 4… Brain Nelson took the lead on the start in the SS4 main event and went on to take the win… R.J. Thomas finished 2nd and Tim Collins 3rd.
- Front Wheel Drive… Ricky Hill started in the back of the back in the FWD main event but did not finish there as he passed Roger Wright with ½ lap to go to take his second straight win… Wright finished second and Megan Templeton third.
- Remember gates open at 6:00 each Saturday night at the LCS and racing starts at 8:00… The LCS is where they do dirt right!
CHS: Let’s catch up on some action at CHS from Tuesday that I was able to get details on yesterday
- Cross Country…. The Clinton Cross Country Team traveled to Woodruff for their first meet of the season… In Girls action, Clinton finished 5th in the 6 team field… 7th grader Hunter Benson had the best time for the Lady Red Devils running the course in 27:50… The boys’ team did better as they finished 3rd… Senior Chris Patterson won 1st place overall with a time of 19:46… The teams will host Abbeville next Tuesday at 5:00
- Volleyball… The CHS volleyball teams hosted Newberry on Tuesday and the results in varsity action were not what Coach Jo Webb would have liked as Newberry took a 3-1 win… However there was better news as in JV action as the Lady Devils took a 2-0 win… Sorry but no other details at this time.
- Volleyball… In volleyball action on Tuesday, Laurens traveled to Woodruff to take on the Wolverines… The Lady Raiders took the 1st set 25-20 but lost the 2nd set 13-25… Laurens bounced back and took the 3rd set 25-18 but Woodruff took the 4th set 25-14… In the 5th and deciding set, Woodruff took the a 15-7 win to take the match 3-2… After the match, Coach Diane Raabe said the team did not play as well as a unit as she would have liked and missed a lot of serves… However she did point out that Anna Stevenson made all her serves… They are scheduled to be back in action tonight as they host Hillcrest and Woodmont at 6:30.
- Mets 5 – Braves 2… The New York Mets managed to avoid being swept by the Braves in Atlanta yesterday as they took a 5-2 win in the series finale.. They scored 2 runs in the 1st and 3 in the 3rd while holding Atlanta to single runs in the 5th and 8th inning… BJ Upton drove in Dan Uggla in the 5th on a sacrifice fly… Freddie Freeman accounted for the other run in the 8th with a solo homer… The Braves have the night off and will start a 7-game road trip tomorrow with the first stop being in Philadelphia to take on the Phillies.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV FB at Newberry 6:00
- Red/White FB at Union (Scrimmage) 4:30
- Girls Tennis at Westside 5:00
- Volleyball host Hillcrest & Woodmont 6:309
- 9th Grade Football host Spartanburg 5:30
- JV Football host Spartanburg 7:30
- Volleyball host Oakbrook MS & Var. 5:00
- MS football host Northside Academy 6:00
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be taking on the Newberry Bulldogs… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Clinton at Gaffney game.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… We will then go live to Gibbs Stadium for all the action as the Raiders take on the Spartanburg Vikings… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike reports from the side lines… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 98.3 (or 99.5)… By the way, Laurens will have a fan bus going to BHP on Friday night… The cost will be $6.00 and the bus will leave the school at 6:00 pm… This does NOT include the cost of the ticket once you get to the game… Call 682-9117 to make your reservations
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club next meeting will be Friday September 13th at noon at the Lakeside Country Club… The local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC are scheduled to speak at that time about games from the past 2 weeks and preview the contest that night… The featured speaker will be Robbie Caldwell an assistant coach at Clemson…. For a complete list of speakers and information on how to join, click on the following link: Laurens County 2013 Touchdown Club Information… Videos of the last meeting are now available at the WLBG website… Click on the following link to see them: LCTD Club videos, 8-30-13
- · Laurens High Century Club…. The Laurens Dist. 55 High School Athletic Club is now selling Century Club memberships… For only $150 you get a reserved parking spot at KC Hannah & 2 passes for all home regular season athletic events… This year there is also something new: Touchdown Tailgate Zone…. For $250 you get 2 reserved parking spaces next to tailgating spaces and 2 home regular season home passes… There are a very limited number of these spaces available and they are sold on a first come first serve basis……. For more information or to order, contact Jim Iacuone… Office: 681-3630, Cell 871-4395 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Booster Club Reminder… Also a friendly reminder that all Laurens Athletic Booster Club members who have obtained the Bi-Lo Laurens High Athletic Booster Plus Card need to have them re-scanned this season as soon as possible… Just present the card along with your Bi-Lo Bonus Card the next time you shop at Bi-Lo and Bi-Lo will donate 1% of your purchase to the Booster Club…. This is NOT added to you bill but is donated by Bi-Lo from the amount you already paid… Scan it now and it will be good until June 30th of next year… If you don’t have one, I encourage you to stop by the booster club area at the home games and get one… Every little bit helps all the sports at Laurens High.
FYI / Community Interest:
- · Registration is now open for Youth Soccer which will start October 22… There will be three age groupings: 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Monday, Sept. 30th… Click on the following link for much more information about the soccer program or call the Y at 833-1555Fall 2013 Clinton YMCA Youth Soccer Information.:
- · Self Defense Academy… The Laurens YMCA is now registering participants for a Korean Martial Arts / Self Defense Academy which will start September 9th… It is open to individuals ages 6 and up. You must register by September 6th… See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com or click on the following link for more information: Self Defense Academy Information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.