Real Radio 860 WLBG / Sports Radio 1410 WPCC Sports Report: 9/9/13
- Newberry 40 – Clinton 28…. The Red Devils hosted the Newberry Bulldogs in the home opener last Friday night and the Red Devils led 22-13 at the half but that is not the score that counts as the Bulldogs came back to take a 40-28 win… It was really a tale of two halves as the Red Devils had about 180 of their total 209 yard rushing in the first half… Newberry got on the board first but Clinton answered with 2 scores… At the end of the first period, Matthias Williams had a 28 yard TD run and with the PAT by Matt Craven the score stood 7-6 Devils… Breshaud Parks scored early in the 2nd period and Williams added a 2 point conversion to make it 15-6…. Newberry scored again and Clinton added its last points of the first half on a 57 yard run by Parks with the PAT added making the score 22-13… Newberry then scored twice in both the third and fourth period before Clinton scored with 1:26 left in the game on an 80 yard pass play from Landon Allison to Tay Cook… The 2-point attempt failed making the final score 40-28… Click on the following for complete game statistics. Newberry at Clinton Stats 9-6-13… There is also a story on the game at CHS Athletic, click on the following to view it: 9-6-13 Newberry at Clinton Football on CHS Athletics
- Spartanburg 19 – Laurens 12…. The Laurens Raiders boarded the bus for the second week in a row as traveled to Gibbs Stadium in Spartanburg to face the Spartanburg Vikings… It was a penalty flag filled game as the total penalty yards on both teams in the first half was 162 yards with the Vikings getting 115 of them.., In the first 4 possession of the game each team had 2 turnovers and no it was not a full moon.… Spartanburg finally got on the board first with a 28 yard field goal late in the first period… On the next Drive Grayson Bailes connected with Markel Bolden on a 77 yard pass play down to the Viking 2-yard line… Austin Crocker carried it the last 2 yards and the extra point was blocked so the score stood 6-3 with 1:50 left in the first period…. The Vikings added another field goal early in the 2nd period that was set up by a long kick-off return and a Raider defense that would not let them across the goal line… Spartanburg took the lead when the Raiders attempted a punt deep in their own territory and had it blocked with the Vikings falling on the loose ball in the endzone for a TD and then adding the PAT to make it 13-6 which was the halftime score… Laurens scored first in the second half after Spartanburg fumbled a punt with Quin Suber recovering on the Viking 18 yard line… A few plays later, Croker again crossed the goal from the 1 yard line… The PAT failed and the score stood 13-12 Vikings with 8:51 left in the third period… Both teams had trouble mounting a sustained offense the rest of the way until Spartanburg intercepted a Laurens pass deep in Viking territory with just over 6 minutes to play… Three plays later Spartanburg’s Tavien Feaster broke loose down the sideline for an 84 yard YTD to but the Vikings up 19-12… The Raiders had two more chances to try to get points on the board but failed… Laurens total offense was 194 yards but again the running game was below par with only 21 yards net… Spartanburg had 314 yards with 121 of them rushing… Click on the following for full game stats… Laurens at Spartanburg 9-6-13 Stats
- Wardlaw 70 – Laurens Academy 30… The Crusaders had their first home contest of the season last Friday night as they hosted the patriots of Wardlaw Academy… The Patriots are the defending state champion and they played like it as they took a 70-30 win over the Crusaders… The Crusaders kept it close the first half but 3 turnovers helped the Patriots pull away in the second half.
- Emerald 28 – Ware Shoals 10… The Hornets traveled to Greenwood last Friday night to take on the Emerald Vikings and actually 10-0 with about 8 minutes to go in the third quarter… The Vikings then got their offense going scoring 4 times to take the win.
Braves: The Braves played up in Philadelphia this weekend and unfortunately the Phillies swept the Braves taking Friday’s game 2-1, Saturday’s 6-5 and yesterday’s 3-2… They start a 4 game in Miami with the Marlins tonight.
Local Sports Schedule:
- V Volleyball host Mid-Carolina 5:00
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from KC Hannah Stadium in Laurens as the Red Devils will be taking on their cross county rival the Laurens Raiders for the County Championship… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Clinton at Laurens game.
- WLBG: Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza Tuesday night for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the last week’s game and the upcoming game as well as other topics.… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club next meeting will be Friday September 13th at noon at the Lakeside Country Club… The local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC are scheduled to speak at that time about games from the past 2 weeks and preview the contest that night… The featured speaker will be Robbie Caldwell an assistant coach at Clemson…. For a complete list of speakers and information on how to join, click on the following link: Laurens County 2013 Touchdown Club Information… Videos of the last meeting are now available at the WLBG website… Click on the following link to see them: LCTD Club videos, 8-30-13
- Laurens High Century Club…. The Laurens Dist. 55 High School Athletic Club is now selling Century Club memberships… For only $150 you get a reserved parking spot at KC Hannah & 2 passes for all home regular season athletic events… This year there is also something new: Touchdown Tailgate Zone…. For $250 you get 2 reserved parking spaces next to tailgating spaces and 2 home regular season home passes… There are a very limited number of these spaces available and they are sold on a first come first serve basis……. For more information or to order, contact Jim Iacuone… Office: 681-3630, Cell 871-4395 or email him at email@example.com
- Booster Club Reminder… Also a friendly reminder that all Laurens Athletic Booster Club members who have obtained the Bi-Lo Laurens High Athletic Booster Plus Card need to have them re-scanned this season as soon as possible… Just present the card along with your Bi-Lo Bonus Card the next time you shop at Bi-Lo and Bi-Lo will donate 1% of your purchase to the Booster Club…. This is NOT added to you bill but is donated by Bi-Lo from the amount you already paid… Scan it now and it will be good until June 30th of next year… If you don’t have one, I encourage you to stop by the booster club area at the home games and get one… Every little bit helps all the sports at Laurens High.
FYI / Community Interest:
- · Registration is now open for Youth Soccer which will start October 22… There will be three age groupings: 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Monday, Sept. 30th… Click on the following link for much more information about the soccer program or call the Y at 833-1555Fall 2013 Clinton YMCA Youth Soccer Information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.