- JV Volleyball at Newberry… The CHS JV volleyball team took on the Lady Bulldogs of Newberry and came away a win as they defeated Newberry 25-19 and 25-18 taking the match 2-0.
- Varsity Volleyball… The news was not quite as good as the Lady Red Devil varsity volleyball fell to Newberry 3-2 in a very tight match… Clinton took the first two sets by scores of 26-24 and 25-20… Newberry rebounded to take the next two sets by scores of 25-13 and 25-15… That forced the fifth and deciding set which Newberry took 15-10 … The teams will host Ninety Six today.
- Girls Tennis… The Lady Raider Girls Tennis Team took a 4-3 win over Woodmont at the Laurens City Courts last night… The team was involved in 3 tie breakers and only took one of them but it was the one they needed to take the match…. Sara Kalyn Crocker, Alley DeVuono and Kathleen Horner both had wins in singles action… The #1 doubles team made up of Crocker and Brittany Horner secured the win for the Lady Raiders as they took their third set 10-8 in a match tie breaker victory…. Six JV players also took wins last night…. For complete details click on the following link: Lady Raider Tennis Results 2013
Middle School Athletics; The annual Laurens County Middle School Jamboree was held last night at KC Hannah Stadium… Let’s recap the action there now:
- Laurens 18 – Sanders 18… In the first game, the Laurens Middle School Tigers and the Sanders Yellow Jackets played to an 18-18 tie in one half of action… LMS tried an onside kick to open the game that went awry and Sanders put the ball in play at the LMS 38…. On the 1st play from scrimmage, Troy Dendy broke loose for a 38 yard TD run…. Tye Foster added 2 pts. on a run and Sanders led 8-0 with 7:34 left in the first period…. Later on LMS 2nd possession they scored on an 80 yd run by Tye Rice The 2-point conversion Dre Mills tied the game with 7:08 left in 2nd quarter… After ensuing kickoff, the first play for Sanders was a 68 yd TD pass from Justin Anderson to Tye Foster… The 2-point run by Troy Dendy made the score16-8 Sanders 6:34 left in 2nd period… During LMS next possession, Carado Ray broke loose for a 47 yd TD run after almost being trapped in the backfield… The 2-point run by Damian Ladd tied 16-16 2:26 left…. Sanders could not answer the score as half (game) ended with them on LMS 32.
- Gray Court-Owens 14 – Hickory Tavern 2… In the second half of football at KC Hannah Stadium, the Gray Court-Owens Tigers took a 14-2 win over the Panthers of Hickory Tavern…. HT’s first possession of the game was ended by a GCO interception and they setup hop on their own 35 yard line… Seven plays later, Josh Adams connected with Cameron Hill on a 13 yard pass play for the score… Adams then added the 2-point conversion to but the Tigers up 8-0 with 3:08 left in the first period… GCO then recovered a muffed attempt to catch the ensuing kickoff and later scored on a 21 yard pass from Adams to Josh Greene… The PAT failed so the score stood 14-0 GCO with 7:52 left in the 2nd period…. After stopping HT deep in their own territory, the Tigers took over but a high snap into the endzone forced the Tigers to fall on the ball thus giving HT the 2 point safety… HT then simply could not score in the remaining time.
- Braves 4 – Marlins 3… For the second night in a row, the Braves edged the Miami Marlins by a single run 4-3 down in Miami last night… The Braves jumped out 2-0 in their half of the 1st inning but the Marlins would score 3 in the bottom of the first to take a 3-2 lead… In the 3rd, the Braves picked up 2 more runs and went on to defeat the Marlins 4-3… Same 2 teams go at again tonight down in the Sunshine State.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV/V Volleyball host 96 5:30/7:00
- Volleyball at Cambridge 4:00
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from KC Hannah Stadium in Laurens as the Red Devils will be taking on their cross county rival the Laurens Raiders for the County Championship… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Clinton at Laurens game.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… We will then go live to the stadium at LDHS for all the action as the Raiders take on the Clinton Red Devils for the County Championship… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike reports from the side lines… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 95.7
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club next meeting will be Friday September 13th at noon at the Lakeside Country Club… The local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC are scheduled to speak at that time about games from the past 2 weeks and preview the contest that night… The featured speaker will be Robbie Caldwell an assistant coach at Clemson…. For a complete list of speakers and information on how to join, click on the following link: Laurens County 2013 Touchdown Club Information… Videos of the last meeting are now available at the WLBG website… Click on the following link to see them: LCTD Club videos, 8-30-13
- · Laurens High Century Club…. The Laurens Dist. 55 High School Athletic Club is now selling Century Club memberships… For only $150 you get a reserved parking spot at KC Hannah & 2 passes for all home regular season athletic events… This year there is also something new: Touchdown Tailgate Zone…. For $250 you get 2 reserved parking spaces next to tailgating spaces and 2 home regular season home passes… There are a very limited number of these spaces available and they are sold on a first come first serve basis……. For more information or to order, contact Jim Iacuone… Office: 681-3630, Cell 871-4395 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Booster Club Reminder… Also a friendly reminder that all Laurens Athletic Booster Club members who have obtained the Bi-Lo Laurens High Athletic Booster Plus Card need to have them re-scanned this season as soon as possible… Just present the card along with your Bi-Lo Bonus Card the next time you shop at Bi-Lo and Bi-Lo will donate 1% of your purchase to the Booster Club…. This is NOT added to you bill but is donated by Bi-Lo from the amount you already paid… Scan it now and it will be good until June 30th of next year… If you don’t have one, I encourage you to stop by the booster club area at the home games and get one… Every little bit helps all the sports at Laurens High.
FYI / Community Interest:
- · Registration is now open for Youth Soccer which will start October 22… There will be three age groupings: 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Monday, Sept. 30th… Click on the following link for much more information about the soccer program or call the Y at 833-1555…Fall 2013 Clinton YMCA Youth Soccer Information.:
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.