Real Radio 860 WLBG / Sports Radio 1410 WPCC Sports Report: 9-18-13
- Cross Country… The CHS Cross Country team traveled to Laurens yesterday to take on their counterparts at LDHS… When the last runner checked in, the Red Devils had defeated Laurens in both the boys and girls part of the meet… In the girls meet, Hunter Benson, M K Kelly, Audrey Atkinson, Mikayla Gregory and Brittany Gates finished 1,2,3,5,and 6 respectively.. In boys’ completion, Chris Patterson, Chandler Sprouse, Austin Nobles, Tyler Kelly and Jay Roland finished 2,3,4,6 and 11 in that order…. Sorry no details available on Laurens athletes.
- Girls Tennis: Laurens 5 – Greenwood 2… The Lady Raider Tennis team hosted Greenwood in a region 1-AAAA match at the Laurens City Courts last night… After the last volley, Laurens had a 5-2 win over Greenwood and moves to 4-1 in region play… Bailey Rush, Ali DeVuono, Sara Kalyn Croker, and Kathleen Horner all had wins in singles action… Croker and Brittany Horner teamed up to gain the Raiders other win in doubles action… The Raiders will take on JL Mann at the Laurens City Courts Thursday another big region match… For complete match details, comments from Coach Corley and information on how the JV team did, click on the following link: 2013 Lady Raider Tennis Results
Braves: The Braves and the Washington nationals had a double header yesterday after the tragic shooting at the Washington Naval yard caused the postponement of Monday’s game
- Game 1: Nationals 6 – Braves 5… In the first game yesterday, Washington took a 6-5 come-from-behind win over the Braves scoring 3 runs in the 9th inning to secure the win… A rare 2-run error by Braves shortstop Andrelton Simmons allowed the tying and winning runs to score in the decisive 9th inning… Evan Gattis did pick up his 20th homerun of the season in the 8th inning with one on board.
- Game 2: Nationals 4 – Braves 0… In the nightcap, Washington pitchers held the Braves to just 5 hits in the game while they collected 11 including a solo shot by Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman in the decisive 8th inning when the nationals scored 3 insurance runs to ice the win… The Braves will try to avoid the series sweep by the Nationals when they play again tonight.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV & Varsity Volleyball host Chapin 5:30 / 6:30
- Bell Street Volleyball at Hickory Tavern 5:00
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be taking on the nationally ranked Byrnes Rebels … Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Byrnes at Clinton game.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… We will then go live to the stadium at Woodruff for all the action as the Raiders take on the Wolverines… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike reports from the side lines… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 97.3 or 90.5 whichever I find is clearer when I get there… By the way, Laurens will have a fan bus going to the game Friday night… The cost will be $5.00 and the bus will leave the school at 6:15 pm… This does NOT include the cost of the ticket once you get to the game… Call 682-9117 to make your reservations.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side.
This & That:
- Carolina Mascot Challenge… Once again this year both the CHS Red Devil mascot and the LDHS’s Sir Victor the Raider are participating in the Carolina Mascot Challenge promoted by television station CW62 in the Spartanburg area… The mascot finishing first in fan voting will earn up to a $1500 check for their school.. You can vote for your favorite mascot once a day from different devices (IP addresses)… If you want to vote, you need to hurry because first round voting ends this Sunday night for the preliminary round… Click on the following link to go to the stations site where you will find all the contest rules as well as your opportunity to vote: Link to Voting Site for Mascot Challenge Contest Your school can’t win if you don’t vote.
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club next meeting will be Friday September 27th at noon at the Lakeside Country Club… The local high school coaches and Coach Harold Nichols of PC are scheduled to speak at that time about games from the past 2 weeks and preview the contest that night… The featured speaker will be Gary Patterson an ACC official…. For a complete list of speakers and information on how to join, click on the following link: Laurens County 2013 Touchdown Club Information.
- Registration is now open for Youth Soccer which will start October 22… There will be three age groupings: 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Monday, Sept. 30th… Click on the following link for much more information about the soccer program or call the Y at 833-1555…Fall 2013 Clinton YMCA Youth Soccer Information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.