Real Radio 860 WLBG / Sports Radio 1410 WPCC Sports Report: 9-19-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Thursday and it’s brought to you by the Laurens County Speedway… Let’s take a look back at the results in each of the divisions main event from last Saturday night’s racing out at the LCS:
- Limited… Mac Owens took the lead just after the start and held on to the end holding off the challenges of 2nd place finisher Billy Ruston… Deano Long finished third.
- Hobby…. Dan Lawson added to his points lead as he finished first in the Hobby main event… Bobby Tucker and Tim Tollison finished second and third.
- Super Stock 4… Brian Nelson let from start to finish in the SS4 main event… The next two drivers across the finish line were Tack Brown and Tim Collins.
- Crates… Colby Cannon finished first about 3 seconds ahead of Tony Quarles who finished 2nd… Greg Pilgrim took third.
- Front Wheel Drive… Dustin Sloan took first in the FWD main event which had to be shortened due to mishaps… Roger Wright was the only other car still running when the race was called.
- Remember the gates open every Saturday at 6:00 with racing starting at 8:00 at the LCS where they do dirt right!
- Volleyball… The Lady Red Devils hosted Chapin in volleyball action last night… The JV team lost in two straight sets 17-25 and 8-25… The news was not much better in varsity action as the team fought hard but Chapin took the match winning in 3 sets 25-9, 25-8 and 25-14.
- Girls Golf… Catching up on Lady Raider Golf from Tuesday afternoon, the team traveled to Bonnie Brae GC to face the Lady Patriots of JL Mann… JL Mann won the match with a score of 218…. Laurens had a score of 226… Alexus Moore had the low score for the Raiders with a 54… Coach Jim Iacuone stated afterward “This is the first time this season that all of the teams individual scores were below 60… I think in the next few weeks we need to focus on our play on and around the greens… That’s the area were the extra strokes are coming from… If we can make some improvement there we will have a good chance of making Upper State… Our next match is Sept. 24 when we host Hillcrest at Lakeside CC.”
Middle School Athletics
- The Little River Middle School Football League swings into full action today… The schedule for today is: Bell St. W @ Belton, Honea Path @ Hickory Tavern, GCO @ Sanders and Laurens @ Bell St. Red… All games will start at 5:00 pm… Now if you want to keep up with the league schedule, scores and standings throughout the season be sure to check my posting in the Featured Sports section of our website.
- Braves 5 – Nationals 2… The Braves avoided being swept by the Nationals up in DC last night as they took a 5-2 win… The Nationals led 2-0 going into the 6th inning when the Braves got a solo shot from Dan Uggla and a 2-run homer by Justin Upton in the 6th inning and then added single runs in the 7th and 9th inning to take the win… They may have gotten a little inspiration by Freddie Freeman and starting pitcher Alex Wood were tossed in separate incidents in the bottom of the 5th inning for arguing the eyesight and judgment of home plate umpire CB Bucknor… By the way, the Braves “magic number” to clinch the NL east is 2… They are off tonight and start a weekend series in Chicago with the Cubs tomorrow at 1:00
Local Sports Schedule:
- Girls Tennis @ Broome 4:30
- JV & varsity Volleyball @ Broome 5:30 / 6:30
- JV Football @ Byrnes 7:00
- Girls Tennis host JL Mann @ Laurens City Courts 5:00
- Volleyball host Westside 6:30
- 9th Grade & JV Football host woodruff 5:30 / 7:30
- MS & Varsity Volleyball host WW King 4:00
- MS Football host WW King 6:00
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be taking on the nationally ranked Byrnes Rebels … Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Byrnes at Clinton game.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… We will then go live to the stadium at Woodruff for all the action as the Raiders take on the Wolverines… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike reports from the side lines… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 97.3 or 90.5 whichever I find is clearer when I get there… By the way, Laurens will have a fan bus going to the game Friday night… The cost will be $5.00 and the bus will leave the school at 6:15 pm… This does NOT include the cost of the ticket once you get to the game… Call 682-9117 to make your reservations.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
This & That:
- Carolina Mascot Challenge… Once again this year both the CHS Red Devil mascot and the LDHS’s Sir Victor the Raider are participating in the Carolina Mascot Challenge promoted by television station CW62 in the Spartanburg area… The mascot finishing first in fan voting will earn up to a $1500 check for their school.. You can vote for your favorite mascot once a day from different devices (IP addresses)… If you want to vote, you need to hurry because first round voting ends this Sunday night for the preliminary round… Click on the following link to go to the stations site where you will find all the contest rules as well as your opportunity to vote: Link to Voting Site for Mascot Challenge Contest Your school can’t win if you don’t vote.
- Registration is now open for Youth Soccer which will start October 22… There will be three age groupings: 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Monday, Sept. 30th… Click on the following link for much more information about the soccer program or call the Y at 833-1555…Fall 2013 Clinton YMCA Youth Soccer Information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.